Gagner at 2c

Status
Not open for further replies.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
How about we try something a little different here. Let's say that Gagner will be here for at least all of the next NHL season, who do you see as his linemates?

For me it would be:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hartikainen-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-ABH*-Hemsky

*Anybody But Horcoff

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov

Part of me doesn't like having Gagner and Hemsky on the same line because they both need to improve if we make the playoffs, but put them with Yakupov on his natural wing and I think we have a winner. Hemsky shouldn't be bumped down to the 3rd line, so I doubt we see Harti there until an injury.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
We've still never seen what Gagner can do with a full season when he's not mainly babysitting rookies who don't wind up becoming NHL'ers. Someone mentioned that Hemsky played on his wing for a while, I don't remember it but that's no help imo.

As it stands Gagner seems destined to play his next 82 games with linemates who are on avg far superior to what he has had in the past. It's a put up or shut year for him and I'm 100% sure that he'll sail thru it with flying colours.

Hemsky and Gagner played together a lot last year. Smyth also played on his wing at times. 'Babysitting linemates' is an excuse, nothing more.
IMO Gagner looked real good at the start of last season.. seemed to have an extra gear in his legs and was winning a good share of faceoffs.

I just dont think he is the answer to the #2C spot.. If Getzlaf hits UFA, I hope we make a strong pitch for his services.. 4 years of Getzlaf in blue and orange is what the doctor has ordered for this organization.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Hemsky and Gagner played together a lot last year. Smyth also played on his wing at times. 'Babysitting linemates' is an excuse, nothing more.
Maybe to you, I think that having good, veteran linemates would be a good thing for him.

IMO Gagner looked real good at the start of last season.. seemed to have an extra gear in his legs and was winning a good share of faceoffs.

I just dont think he is the answer to the #2C spot.. If Getzlaf hits UFA, I hope we make a strong pitch for his services.. 4 years of Getzlaf in blue and orange is what the doctor has ordered for this organization.
I'd have Getzlaf here in an instant but he's one of the 3 best #1 centers on the planet imo. That puts RNH squarely on line #2.

The Oilers just aren't as desperate for Getzlaf's services as other teams are, no way we win that battle.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maybe to you, I think that having good, veteran linemates would be a good thing for him.

I'd have Getzlaf here in an instant but he's one of the 3 best #1 centers on the planet imo. That puts RNH squarely on line #2.

The Oilers just aren't as desperate for Getzlaf's services as other teams are, no way we win that battle.

There is no harm in RNH being on the 2nd line since he'll have Ebs or Yak on his wing 5 on 5 and will get top PP time.
It will come down to what Getzlaf wants and how soon EDM wants to become a contender.

All I know is that this team may get out of the basement with RNH\Gagner\Horc down the middle but will never be a legit contender.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There's no point in talking about Gagner because
a) the NHL is seeking to declare all contracts null and void
b) he'll be a UFA by the time a new CBA will be agreed to
or c) the world has ended if the Mayans are correct.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

This talk of RNH on the 2nd line is hilarious. You know how long we have been without a legit 1C right? Now after years of sucking we were finally able to draft our own. If you think we can just pick up someone like Getzlaf and demote RNH to second line duty you are delusional. Let alone Getzlaf wanting to come to a team that already has a 1C and less money to pay him.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Did you know Gagner's most frequent linemates last season were Hall & Hemsky?

Frequent, some times ... . I think Gagner (as well as others) need to be on a line that is permanent. Stop juggling all the time. We need to create chemistry. Pick the lines and stick with them unless they are an obvious failure. Through good and bad.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Frequent, some times ... . I think Gagner (as well as others) need to be on a line that is permanent. Stop juggling all the time. We need to create chemistry. Pick the lines and stick with them unless they are an obvious failure. Through good and bad.

Agreed. The kids are at the age where they need to develop chemistry now so they'll be ready to go when they hit their prime.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Lineups that include MPS and Lander are in no way realistic.
I think tiger_80 is probably close .... and there's still room for Gagner in that lineup.

This is the Oilers. Putting rookies and other young kids in the lineup above where they should be is standard.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
There's no point in talking about Gagner because
a) the NHL is seeking to declare all contracts null and void
b) he'll be a UFA by the time a new CBA will be agreed to
or c) the world has ended if the Mayans are correct.
c)How far ahead did people expect the Mayans calendar to go anyways, isn't it enough that it went 1,000 years after the demise of their own civilization?

The thing goes up until the earth was aligned in a certain way within the Milky Way and it was of significance to them. Trhey never said the earth would end at that point. There are just too many people who love a good doomsday prophecy and this was too good for them to pass up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Don't mistake your failure to comprehend the written word with my failure to accurately describe something that happened, plain as day.

You just compared Sam Gagner's 22 year old season to Kesler's seasons at 24 thru 28 and then you said ":shakehead. Dear God...". Epic fail.

No where did I mention Kesler's 24 thru 28 year old seasons. Might want to take your criticisms of other to heart instead of fabricating stories about stuff they said. It would be total stupidity to compare him to a elite player like Kesler. Or Yzerman, Sakic, Gretzky or Kane for that matter. But here we are on HFOil doing exactly that. Not only that you are belittling Gretzky to try to make Gagner better. :help:

Kesler had 23 points in his 22 year old season playing in a top checking role with scrubs. Gagner barely hit the 40 point total last year playing super easy minutes with Hall and Eberle spoon feeding him his points. I take Kesler, at any age, on my team any day of the week over Gagner if my goal is to win hockey games.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Are you joking! Getzlaf had the 2nd most minutes played out of any center in the entire league last season and had a whopping 11 goals.

I could easily name 20 other centers I would rather have as my #1 and RNH is for sure on that list.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

The Oilers can't afford Getzlaf unfortunately, unless they trade Hemsky and Gagner for defensive help AND somehow get rid of Horcoff's cap hit.
Add a veteran PKing centre to the 4th line and the forward group would be play-off caliber for sure though:

Hall-Getzlaf-Eberle
Hartikainen/Smyth-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth/Hartikainen-Belanger-Paajarvi/Jones
Eager-Steckel-Jones/Paajarvi

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Uhhhh, wha? Can you post your top 10 center ranking?

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Sedin, Datsyuk. 5 centers easily better than Getz.

t0psh3lfclu7ch

Real Men Have Scars
Aug 8, 2011
Winnipeg
gags is not the prob.

get rid of bergeron horcoff and hemsky and smyth..

bring in stafford and boyle for 3c and get a good goalie and some bruisers and a legit top pair dman..

you can still win games without winning the majority of faceoffs if you play the right style and we will have to adapt until our guys can win faceoffs.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Inject Gagner with some HGH and have him practice faceoffs when he isn't using the bench-press and doing squats. He will be a great 2C if he can keep some speed!

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
The Oilers can't afford Getzlaf unfortunately, unless they trade Hemsky and Gagner for defensive help AND somehow get rid of Horcoff's cap hit.
Add a veteran PKing centre to the 4th line and the forward group would be play-off caliber for sure though:

Hall-Getzlaf-Eberle
Hartikainen/Smyth-RNH-Yakupov
Smyth/Hartikainen-Belanger-Paajarvi/Jones
Eager-Steckel-Jones/Paajarvi

if the cap doesnt drop to 60M and stays over 70M like it is projected to then EDM can afford another 6M player.

Gagner will have to be traded or not re-signed as a RFA but it is possible.

Descendent*

I would've liked seeing Gagner over in Switzlerand playing with Patrick Kane. Would've been a huge confidence booster.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
No where did I mention Kesler's 24 thru 28 year old seasons. Might want to take your criticisms of other to heart instead of fabricating stories about stuff they said. It would be total stupidity to compare him to a elite player like Kesler. Or Yzerman, Sakic, Gretzky or Kane for that matter. But here we are on HFOil doing exactly that. Not only that you are belittling Gretzky to try to make Gagner better. :help:

Kesler had 23 points in his 22 year old season playing in a top checking role with scrubs. Gagner barely hit the 40 point total last year playing super easy minutes with Hall and Eberle spoon feeding him his points. I take Kesler, at any age, on my team any day of the week over Gagner if my goal is to win hockey games.
Kesler got 23 points on a team that had Sedin, Morrison and Linden also playing at center for the full 82 game season. Are you sure that Kesler just played "a top checking role with scrubs" or are you just talking out of your ass again? Everyone else in the hockey world knows that once again you're flat out wrong, you'd be best off to just avoid answering this.

You acted as though I sad Gagner > Kesler and to you it was some kind of a joke. Truth is, Gagner was better at 21 & 22 than Kesler was so your joke wasn't funny.

Our failure to communicate is coming from the fact that you just don't understand the limitations of direct comparisons.

When people are citing Gagner's lack of size as evidence that he can't be a good #2 center and the names of Gretzky et al are brought up, it's not an example of me saying "Gagner is better than Gretzky because he's bigger", it just means that centers don't have to top 6'2 and 210 lbs to be effective. IE, Gagner can still be an effective #2 center at 5'10 191 lbs. That's where the comparison ends for a rational, intelligent human. The point made about Gagner's size was moot.

People tried to mitigate the damage done to the size argument by acting as though the other small centers made up for their size with speed that Gagner doesn't possess.

You think that Gretzky's lack of size was overcome by his above average speed, wrong again. Gretzky had an uncanny level of anticipation, he was very deceptive and agile, he was a great passer forehand and backhand, he had great decision making skills with the puck, a knack for seeing and getting the puck to people in the open, and he was a master of making the very most of what time and space he had with the puck... and he had average speed. With a pedestrian understanding of the game you might want to just attribute his success to him being fast, go ahead and have your opinion. I watched him play from the time he came into the nhl and I think my scouting report >>>>>>>> yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad