Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2020 (UPD: Cancelled)

Winner?!

• Total voters

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
West

CSKA (1) vs Torpedo (8)
SKA (2) vs Vityaz (7)
Jokerit (3) vs Lokomotiv (6)
Dynamo (4) vs Spartak (5)

East

Ak Bars (1) vs Neftekhimik (8)
Barys (2) vs Magnitka (7)
Avangard (3) vs Salavat (6)
Avto (4) vs Sibir (5)

Discuss :naughty:

[MOD] edit: 2nd round schedule:

Last edited by a moderator:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Barys vs Magnitka is really interesting matchup for a 1st round, other ones are kinda business as usual.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
While I am excited for the games against Dynamo Moscow, Dinamo Minsk just HAD to win their last game against them. Would have rather faced Jokerit than Dynamo. Hoping for Lokomotiv if we are to get crushed.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Lokomotiv isn't that easy to beat, though. They usually play great vs anybody, but SKA.
Agreed. Jokerit has a slight edge in this round if the goaltending works out. Unless Kalnins is in full shape for Sunday's clash, this is pretty much a lost case.

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
It’s hard for me to believe that Loko would play another match in a row as poorly as they did yesterday. It should be a close match or even a Loko regulation win if they just realize that they should shoot more - Jokerit have probably the worst goalie of the playoffs as their first choice now that Kalnins seems to be injured.

EDIT: Kalnins in net, but that is not the reason that Loko has not scored and Jokerit have scored thrice in the 1st period. The reason is that Jokerit are playing very well, moving the puck and feet. They are bringing the puck up to the offensive zone with good skating, whereas all Loko can do to attack is pass the puck to the offensive blueline from their d-zone and hope for the best. Shots 16-3 for Jokerit after the 1st period.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommySalo

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Loko just doesn't leave any hope, being outscored 1-14 in those three games is just a nightmare... I mean, if that would be the score against that youth roster from the last regular season game I would be fine with that, but the issue is that I'm actually pretty sure that those kids would do better than that.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Where do Lokomotiv even go from here after the season is over? Another NA coach? None of the Russian coaches look inspiring. How would people feel about Larionov, assuming he would be interested?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Loko just doesn't leave any hope, being outscored 1-14 in those three games is just a nightmare... I mean, if that would be the score against that youth roster from the last regular season game I would be fine with that, but the issue is that I'm actually pretty sure that those kids would do better than that.
Well Loko still have quite a few kids on the roster and those aren't exactly doing anything at the moment. That's just karma slapping Loko's president for saying Kvartalnov didn't do well enough in the PO. Because evidently they were supposed to beat SKA.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Where do Lokomotiv even go from here after the season is over? Another NA coach? None of the Russian coaches look inspiring. How would people feel about Larionov, assuming he would be interested?
Another load mouth with next to no coaching experience? In my opinion, that's the worst thing they can do. Just get an actual good hockey coach like Zubov or Kari Jalonen. Or whoever else is interested. It's one of the biggest teams in Europe, I think they should be able to get someone of quality.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Sibir again takes the lead against Avto. I find this probably the most surprising out of all series. It was obvious Sibir were going to play this way and surely this is what Avto must have been preparing for and yet they seem to have no answer to it.

Realistically though, Sibir is not the better team and was not the better team on the ice. Yet, if the better team doesn't score any goals at all the opposition is probably going to win.

Reactions: TommySalo

Poiquets

Oct 17, 2019
+1 to what CPFC said. After watching the Jokerit Loko games (The only games that they have shown so far from the streaming platform Viaplay in Finland) it was nice to see an even, hard fought match between Spartak and Dynamo. Many chances on both ends, many goals and a good pace.

By the way, since I haven't been able to watch other games than Jokerit-Loko series and this single match from the Moscow derby, would someone be so nice to shed some light on the PP compositions of the following teams: Ak Bars Kazan, CSKA, SKA and Avangard. Thanks in advance!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
By the way, since I haven't been able to watch other games than Jokerit-Loko series and this single match from the Moscow derby, would someone be so nice to shed some light on the PP compositions of the following teams: Ak Bars Kazan, CSKA, SKA and Avangard. Thanks in advance!
CSKA: Nesterov-Grigorenko-Kempe-Vey-Kaprizov
SKA: Bengtsson-Burdasov-Tkachyov-Kemppainen-Barabanov
Avangard: Franson-Shirokov-Shumakov-McMillan-Beck
For Ak Bars it's: Virtanen-A. Galimov-Azevedo-Cormier-Petrov and Yarullin-Galiev-E. Galimov-Tikhonov-Frattin

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
So glad Spartak won, at least one series in the West is not a total sweep. Very entertaining game as well.
That was expected. A great coaches battle. Znarok has with Spartak a team that works best for him. No too big or shiny names. He made them his team. Hard working, battling. Krikunov staedied the reeling Dynamo and made them his team. No BS, old-school hockey. Many people would call him a dinosaur, but he is he is the dinosaur who made Datsyuk and as mentioned he revived Dynamo. He has a star line to work with and he knows how to use it.

MaximusT

Dec 5, 2008
Hey guys casual fan coming in, is Yakupov playing? Haven’t seen him listed for SKA so figured I’d ask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad