Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2019

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
The last edition had over 200 posts and 15,000 views so this section is definitely not dead yet. The regular season has finally ended and now it is time for the best period of the year. Pairings in the first round are as follows, the game dates are yet to be decided AFAIK,

WEST

(1) CSKA - Vityaz (8)
(2) SKA - Spartak (7)
(3) Loko - Sochi (6)
(4) Jokerit - Dynamo Moscow(5)

EAST

(1) Avto - Traktor (8)
(2) Barys - Torpedo (7)
(3) Magnitka - Salavat (6)
(4) Avangard - Ak Bars (5)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Play-off dates are known, the only problem is sharing the arena by CSKA/Spartak. Schedule here.

As you wanted, there will not be 4 games of one conference in one day, but two games from one conference. Unfortunately, the ideal timing - two games at East replacing by two evening games at West - will not be done, because of Avangard playing in Balashika.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
So, not official, the playoff scheme is like described in the link above.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Yeah well f***.

Our team, which cannot score against either Sochi or against Severstal, are supposed to put up a fight against SKA? Who we happen to not be able to score against too.. We had it all in our own hands to make sure this would not happen. We could have faced Lokomotiv or even Jokerit. Instead, towards the end, we became unable to do anything in terms of offence.

Вперёд

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
In the West the 2nd round will be a blood bath. So much to prove for any team.

In the East Avto has earned an easy passage. If they play the cards right they are in the semis. But they really earned it with the reg. season. And there they will have to meet the winner of the usual eastern tryouts.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Play-off dates are known, the only problem is sharing the arena by CSKA/Spartak. Schedule here.

As you wanted, there will not be 4 games of one conference in one day, but two games from one conference. Unfortunately, the ideal timing - two games at East replacing by two evening games at West - will not be done, because of Avangard playing in Balashika.

Yes, I was so excited about this at the beginning of the season but then Avangard happened. Anyways, I can't blame KHL at all for this. They are taking the right steps and I actually feel like some guys read this forum (and others, probably Russian ones) to see what fans think about the league and then implement the possible changes based on that. The next step should be a hard salary cap... If I am not mistaken, it started last season with 900 million rubles. For this season, it was 850 million. The cap is still relatively soft, though. If you have money for luxury tax, which is a drop in the ocean for the big guns, you are fine. Next season, what, 800 million and a much stricter application? I remember something like that. It will get even better, hopefully.

Our beloved Nadezhda Demichova will be at Balashikha for the home games against Ak Bars. Sorry @Atas2000 and other Ak Bars fans, you stand no chance when she is with us. Well just kidding, we are Avangard, we always suck against green teams, be it Salavat Yulaev or Ak Bars. Looking forward to another 7-game series lost in OT. Not.

Yeah well ****.

Our team, which cannot score against either Sochi or against Severstal, are supposed to put up a fight against SKA? Who we happen to not be able to score against too.. We had it all in our own hands to make sure this would not happen. We could have faced Lokomotiv or even Jokerit. Instead, towards the end, we became unable to do anything in terms of offence.

Вперёд

I feel for Spartak. Their performance in the final stretch was a reverse miracle... From a decently comfortable 6th spot and meeting a totally-beatable Loko to having to meet SKA for four times. Ouch.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Thanks. U guys think traktor takes avto to a game 7?

I think it won't be more than six games. This is one sexy Avto team with lots of experience and explosiveness. Moreover, Traktor are not what they were last year. There is a significant gap of quality between those two teams. I think Ak Bars still come out on top in this conference. My predictions (more like, feelings) for the east,

Avto in 6 (vs Traktor)
Barys in 6 (vs Torpedo)
Magnitka in 5 (vs Salavat)
Ak Bars in 7 (vs Avangard)

Ak Bars in 6 (vs Avto)
Magnitka in 6 (vs Barys)

Ak Bars in 7 (vs Magnitka)

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
I feel for Spartak. Their performance in the final stretch was a reverse miracle... From a decently comfortable 6th spot and meeting a totally-beatable Loko to having to meet SKA for four times. Ouch.
Yeah. Our toxic fanbase has the galls to blame the losses on Hudacek for a semi-questionable goal once in a while. Definitly feels like he will go somewhere else after this season, unfortunatly..

At least I can see Datsyuk two last times

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Cska is strong this year. Think they will be the team from West. From East i hope Avto but Ak Bars always good so i predict a rematch from last year. And this time CSKA will be the champion.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Cska is strong this year. Think they will be the team from West. From East i hope Avto but Ak Bars always good so i predict a rematch from last year. And this time CSKA will be the champion.
Didnt have time to see the match, but Ak Bars just lost to Avangard 6-0

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
I still can't believe my eyes. We absolutely destroyed Ak Bars. I don't even remember feeling anxious about them scoring, it was a heavily one-sided game dominated by Avangard for the most part, maybe except first five to ten minutes. Shumakov's goal was fantastic. I didn't have high hopes since I'm used to getting my heart broken at this stage but boy did we start so well.

Illegal streams are too laggy and KHL video also doesn't work properly for me on PC so I keep buying streams for mobile phone like a filthy peasant. Though it is generally much better than laptop. Smaller screen, "less internet" required so much smoother. Time to top up KHL account, this playoff run might run deeper than I had anticipated.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
I still can't believe my eyes. We absolutely destroyed Ak Bars. I don't even remember feeling anxious about them scoring, it was a heavily one-sided game dominated by Avangard for the most part, maybe except first five to ten minutes. Shumakov's goal was fantastic. I didn't have high hopes since I'm used to getting my heart broken at this stage but boy did we start so well.

Illegal streams are too laggy and KHL video also doesn't work properly for me on PC so I keep buying streams for mobile phone like a filthy peasant. Though it is generally much better than laptop. Smaller screen, "less internet" required so much smoother. Time to top up KHL account, this playoff run might run deeper than I had anticipated.

Very cool it must be! Would be cool to have an Omsk-Spartak final ;)

Was the it Avangard who outplayed Ak Bars, or were Ak Bars just bad this game?

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

I think Ak Bars' lethargy and disarray was a more important factor. We could have won anyways but in such a dominant fashion? No way. Ak Bars looked undisciplined and without a clue. It was a really bad day for them, repeat of which would be even a bigger surprise. With Galimov, this could easily have ended 3-1 or so. Still an Avangard win but not such a spectacular one. No idea when he comes back but when/if he does, it will surely change the series a lot. I am not getting excited yet.

As I'm typing this, Avto are leading 2-0 against Traktor and Barys trail at home 1-0 to Torpedo. Again, very early to talk but my fears of Barys bottling it don't seem to be unfounded, at least for now.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Very cool it must be! Would be cool to have an Omsk-Spartak final ;)

It's the playoffs. One game is one game. No reason to waste energy if it's 0-4 and the team can't get going. While AkBars is no real Cup favourite this time one lost game on the road is nothing. And the scores mean absolutely nothing. Every playoffs there is a game you win 7-1 or lose 0-6.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
It's the playoffs. One game is one game. No reason to waste energy if it's 0-4 and the team can't get going. While AkBars is no real Cup favourite this time one lost game on the road is nothing. And the scores mean absolutely nothing. Every playoffs there is a game you win 7-1 or lose 0-6.
Sure buddy. Was asking hansomreiste about why there was a blowout, not the importance or how often that happens.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sure buddy. Was asking hansomreiste about why there was a blowout, not the importance or how often that happens.
And I explained it to you. It was a typical playoff blowout. If you can't win, let it go. Especially in game 1.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Again not what I asked for. But thanks for giving answers to questions no one asked for. Have a nice evening.
LOL You are an aggressive one. I like it. Enjoy Spartak. They have really caught SKA offguard right now.

Reactions: Witte49

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Unimaginable. We just won 2-0! Even if we get steamrolled the rest of this series im happy as ever!

Not necessarily the most beutiful game, but damn it feels nice.

Reactions: Acallabeth

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Just watched that SKA game. Holy mackerel. Thought Spartak clamped real nicely after getting the second goal. SKA was freelancing at that point. SKA scored so much during the regular season but I still feel letting Shipachyov go was huge. Big-time player with Gusev. Dadonov and Kovalchuk leaving is big too, but what's done is done. One game, though. Expecting a big game 2 win from SKA, a statement win.

Section Netherlands

Feb 8, 2019
Just watched that SKA game. Holy mackerel. Thought Spartak clamped real nicely after getting the second goal. SKA was freelancing at that point. SKA scored so much during the regular season but I still feel letting Shipachyov go was huge. Big-time player with Gusev. Dadonov and Kovalchuk leaving is big too, but what's done is done. One game, though. Expecting a big game 2 win from SKA, a statement win.
I feel like they went in thinking it would be easy. It will still probably be, but this must have been a wake up call for SKA, surely! But I hope not ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad