Player Discussion Gaetan Haas: It's Gaetting Haas In Biel (Signs 5 year deal with Biel)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Good established veteran with solid pedigree and European hockey experience who was worth a gamble on a team with no NHL depth and no cap money. Haas had a good motor, solid hockey IQ and evolved his game to adapt to NHL physicality which reflect a good, honest hockey player. I respect the player but ultimately he was treading water as a low event fringe NHL player. Wish him well.

Now time to rebuild the bottom six (and top) with Kenny's Magic Makeover time.

I suspect that we will be hearing a similar announcement about Nygard signing in Europe within the next month.

I also think that both Ennis and Chia will sign in Europe this summer too. Both look like they are ready for a European vacation and retirement home.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I suspect that we will be hearing a similar announcement about Nygard signing in Europe within the next month.

I also think that both Ennis and Chia will sign in Europe this summer too. Both look like they are ready for a European vacation and retirement home.

I think Nygard's already signed back in Sweden. And yup, I think Holland cleans out the bottom six and depth positions. The Covid Cap offers a supply glut of inexpensive NHL proven players to choose from and opportunity to reshape cheaply the massive hole in quality depth.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think Nygard's already signed back in Sweden. And yup, I think Holland cleans out the bottom six and depth positions. The Covid Cap offers a supply glut of inexpensive NHL proven players to choose from and opportunity to reshape cheaply the massive hole in quality depth.

Thanks for that- I don't remember seeing the Nygard announcement-- so my bad.

Anyway, I don't think anybody in the NHL will sign Ennis but perhaps somebody gives Chia a 1 year deal.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good for him and good for the Oilers. He was a very good skater but things just never clicked for him here. Hopefully this means that we start going for more established players to round out our bottom 6 instead of banking on maybe's.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
EtR2jI2VkAAPPWy

You will be missed Rockstar

I assume we offered him a 2 year deal and he turned us down. Rockstars get 5 years I guess.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Good speed and skill and excellent hockey sense, but just seemed to get pushed around a bit too much. Same with Nygaard. This league is big and tough, and if you're smaller you need to be really solid and tough. Good luck to him and thanks for your term here!

Reactions: AM and Bryanbryoil

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Just another name in the list of countless marginal NHLers that have passed through.

At least he got to experience the NHL. That's a big achievement for an undrafted lifelong Euro league player.

Reactions: TheNumber4

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Welp. Had high hopes for Holland’s euro pick ups. Thought maybe this Detroit dude had an inside line on undervalued efffective NHLers toiling away in Europe. Guess not. All the no-names he’s brought in have failed out of the League. Haas seemed to be the best bet out of the bunch with good size and good motor. A little bit light and weak for a guy his size. I could have seen keeping him, but 2 years ago he was drawing penalties regularly, this last year he barely got any calls. Playoffs are showing heavy hockey still has a place, especially since the League turns off the rules. So probably good that we look for an upgrade here.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
i like him and i think he had more to give in the NHL. he was getting more confidence offensively and if he had better linemates he might have been able to stick and work on his overall skills. oh well. it is reasonable to bet that we will improve on him this offseason but it is not certain. he outplayed Turris thats for sure.

Reactions: Oilers 322

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'm glad the triple OT game was his last with us. He got a ton of ice time and really worked hard that game, so it's nice for him to go out that way even though he couldn't stick. Played a ton of time in an NHL triple OT game, can't say he didn't make the league in a legitimate way.

Reactions: Oilers 322

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm glad the triple OT game was his last with us. He got a ton of ice time and really worked hard that game, so it's nice for him to go out that way even though he couldn't stick. Played a ton of time in an NHL triple OT game, can't say he didn't make the league in a legitimate way.

Huh. I was hoping he'd have atleast 16 more games.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Welp. Had high hopes for Holland’s euro pick ups. Thought maybe this Detroit dude had an inside line on undervalued efffective NHLers toiling away in Europe. Guess not. All the no-names he’s brought in have failed out of the League. Haas seemed to be the best bet out of the bunch with good size and good motor. A little bit light and weak for a guy his size. I could have seen keeping him, but 2 years ago he was drawing penalties regularly, this last year he barely got any calls. Playoffs are showing heavy hockey still has a place, especially since the League turns off the rules. So probably good that we look for an upgrade here.
I doubt anyone else had high hopes. I think they had realistic hopes, and I wouldn't say they failed. They were brought in as cheap placeholders while we were stuck in cap hell and gave the prospects time to season a bit. For anyone of them to stick would have been a miracle, so they did the job and bought us some time.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Gaëtan Haas just signed a 5 year deal with his hometown team EHC Biel.

I actually liked him but he wasn't any more than a 4C, sometimes 3C here.

He's one I hoped to sign for another year or two before McLeod becomes a full-timer NHLer.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I actually liked him but he wasn't any more than a 4C, sometimes 3C here.

He's one I hoped to sign for another year or two before McLeod becomes a full-timer NHLer.
Pretty sure McLeod will be a full time NHLer next season. Doesn’t seem to have much left to prove in the AHL for another season or two.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Pretty sure McLeod will be a full time NHLer next season. Doesn’t seem to have much left to prove in the AHL for another season or two.

Depends who we sign. I think he could learn to be a PP weapon/playmaker or a better shooter in the AHL. Another half-season wouldn't hurt. It's not like he played a full AHL season.

I suspect we will give Marody + Benson 10 games next season first to see what we have offensively.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Depends who we sign. I think he could learn to be a PP weapon/playmaker or a better shooter in the AHL. Another half-season wouldn't hurt. It's not like he played a full AHL season.

I suspect we will give Marody + Benson 10 games next season first to see what we have offensively.
I don’t think his future in the NHL is as a PP guy. Never been his calling card. Not sure why they would send him down to the AHL to become one.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Good for Haas. Came over and gave it a shot. I’m a fan of the player. Think he had more skill and smarts than most of our bottom six the last two years.

Ya some guys are invisible all game and somehow put up a point. He was the opposite. He always impressed with his speed and skill (as far as bottom 6ers go), but the points just didn’t happen. I was hoping we’d give him one more year to see if things would finally click, but you can’t fault the guy for taking the 5 year deal.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I think he was a good stop-gap signing for the few years that there was no cap to work with. Good skater, smart player, and fairly low event (which is generally all you could ask for a no-name European coming in to play 4th line center). I wish him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00