Player Discussion Gaetan Haas: It's Gaetting Haas In Biel (Signs 5 year deal with Biel)

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Turris should definitely sit a couple of games especially with the play of Haas. Stick with 7D and roll forward with Haas as the third line C while Mcdavid Drai and RNH take shifts as the fourth line C.

RNH Mcdavid JP
Kahun Drai Yam
Ennis Haas Kassian
Archi Neal

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I'd love to see Shore/Nygard-Haas-Archibald. Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald was the best checking line last season and Haas is the best bet to replace Sheahan's job on that line. Nygards tenacity on the forecheck creates turnovers and Archibald hits to hurt and both can chip in. I like Nygard but can't lie Shore on the left side has merit too as he's tenacious and has a track record of decent production as a LW, it's especially beneficial him and Haas could take the draws on their strong sides to mitigate some of their weakness' at faceoffs. The speed and defensive responsibility of either trio could possibly be very capable of shutting down their portion of the game and against good players.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'd love to see Shore/Nygard-Haas-Archibald. Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald was the best checking line last season and Haas is the best bet to replace Sheahan's job on that line. Nygards tenacity on the forecheck creates turnovers and Archibald hits to hurt and both can chip in. I like Nygard but can't lie Shore on the left side has merit too as he's tenacious and has a track record of decent production as a LW, it's especially beneficial him and Haas could take the draws on their strong sides to mitigate some of their weakness' at faceoffs. The speed and defensive responsibility of either trio could possibly be very capable of shutting down their portion of the game and against good players.

My thoughts exactly.

Shore also brings a little a little size that Sheahan had.

I also think Shore will benefit from being allow to run around a little more at LW, while Haas and Archi form the defensive presence of that line.

Reactions: Samus44

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Turris should definitely sit a couple of games especially with the play of Haas. Stick with 7D and roll forward with Haas as the third line C while Mcdavid Drai and RNH take shifts as the fourth line C.

RNH Mcdavid JP
Kahun Drai Yam
Ennis Haas Kassian
Archi Neal
Article on Turris on TSN today saying how much he is looking forward to BOA. Sure, you’d have to be dead and no pulse to not be looking forward to this. If he plays, I would expect him to come out and play with a bit more focus and passion than he has up to this point, given he is looking forward to the match up. I hope this game is a coming out party for some of the underachieving bottom 6, including Turdis.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Gaëtan Haas just signed a 5 year deal with his hometown team EHC Biel.

Interesting. That must be related to the Shore signing. One less piece of the bottom 6 puzzle here.

I liked Haas, I think he could have hacked it out as a bottom 6 NHLer if he came over to North America earlier. Guess we'll never know

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Good for Haas. Came over and gave it a shot. I’m a fan of the player. Think he had more skill and smarts than most of our bottom six the last two years.
Has some pretty slick mitts too. Little surprised he couldn't put up many points.

Reactions: nabob

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Interesting. That must be related to the Shore signing. One less piece of the bottom 6 puzzle here.

I liked Haas, I think he could have hacked it out as a bottom 6 NHLer if he came over to North America earlier. Guess we'll never know

Probably no room for him with McLeod on the roster. He was definitely useful the past couple years, but also had difficulty producing despite getting chances. Maybe going back to Switzerland if he can produce he'll have a better chance of making the Olympic team, not sure.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Excellent skater and positional play. I think if he played with skill or had a smarter coach the points would come.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Good for him.

I think there was an NHL player there but he had a hard time delivering on results. Bit surprised that he didnt at least go to free agency and see if another team was interested in him, but maybe hes content to just go back home and theres nothing wrong with that. Five year deal is nice for him.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Probably no room for him with McLeod on the roster. He was definitely useful the past couple years, but also had difficulty producing despite getting chances. Maybe going back to Switzerland if he can produce he'll have a better chance of making the Olympic team, not sure.

Yeah, I think McLeod took his spot. Haas was VERY reliable defensively, but just couldn't score to save his life and was poor on faceoffs. I think the team is thinking that McLeod can come in and be as good on D (as he is quite good for a young guy), is bigger/faster, and already better on draws. The team likely believes that the offence is potentially higher with McLeod as well, although that remains to be seen IMO, as McLeod doesn't look to have much offence either. I think starting next season that McLeod is likely already a slight upgrade over Haas, but not much of an upgrade. But with him being 8 years younger and cost controlled for 1 more year and only being a RFA afterwards, it is a relatively smart bet to place.

All that said, I liked Haas more than many of our other bottom-6 guys, and wanted him to get more playing time. He was a good "low event" player.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Good for him.

I think there was an NHL player there but he had a hard time delivering on results. Bit surprised that he didnt at least go to free agency and see if another team was interested in him, but maybe hes content to just go back home and theres nothing wrong with that. Five year deal is nice for him.

Yeah, at 29 years old, this is basically his retirement deal. Swiss league pays pretty good as well, so likely making decent money. The average Swiss League player makes about $290K CAD per year. So you gotta figure a guy with a couple years NHL experience and who just got a long term contract is making more than that. So very likely making $350K+. After making just under $1 M USD each of the past 2 years, he is likely doing just fine. Good for him, wish him the best.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah, I think McLeod took his spot. Haas was VERY reliable defensively, but just couldn't score to save his life and was poor on faceoffs. I think the team is thinking that McLeod can come in and be as good on D (as he is quite good for a young guy), is bigger/faster, and already better on draws. The team likely believes that the offence is potentially higher with McLeod as well, although that remains to be seen IMO, as McLeod doesn't look to have much offence either. I think starting next season that McLeod is likely already a slight upgrade over Haas, but not much of an upgrade. But with him being 8 years younger and cost controlled for 1 more year and only being a RFA afterwards, it is a relatively smart bet to place.

All that said, I liked Haas more than many of our other bottom-6 guys, and wanted him to get more playing time. He was a good "low event" player.

McLeod didn't show much offensively but I thought he had a number of decent chances due to good positional play--he just couldn't bury them--but that's nothing new with the Oilers.

I also thought that for a rookie in high pressure playoffs he didn't look out of place. He won't ever be a sniper but I do believe that there is potential there.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Yeah, at 29 years old, this is basically his retirement deal. Swiss league pays pretty good as well, so likely making decent money. The average Swiss League player makes about $290K CAD per year. So you gotta figure a guy with a couple years NHL experience and who just got a long term contract is making more than that. So very likely making $350K+. After making just under $1 M USD each of the past 2 years, he is likely doing just fine. Good for him, wish him the best.

I think he's making significantly north of $350K on that deal, plus that's his home town team so he gets to live at home which is nice.

Reactions: oilers'72 and nabob

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Haas was easy to root for but I'm so happy to see him go. Easily the weakest player on the roster (and that's saying a lot)... he didn't have the skill, tenacity or strength to stick in this league. Great speed, solid hockey sense, but just not enough jam to compensate for pretty pedestrian skill.

To me he was Anton Lander with speed. I could see why he was and is a solid pro in Europe, but just overmatched in the worlds best league.

I imagine that he and Holland had a heart to heart and it was agreed this was the best course of action for him. It was nice to see him get his shot, good luck to him in the future.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good established veteran with solid pedigree and European hockey experience who was worth a gamble on a team with no NHL depth and no cap money. Haas had a good motor, solid hockey IQ and evolved his game to adapt to NHL physicality which reflect a good, honest hockey player. I respect the player but ultimately he was treading water as a low event fringe NHL player. Wish him well.

Now time to rebuild the bottom six (and top) with Kenny's Magic Makeover time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00