GDT: Gaem vs. Toronto

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As much as he ****ed the Whalers, and believe me he did, he also traded up for Pronger who Rutherford bungled to ****.
That was probably the smartest move he made in his entire life. Too bad he wrecked it by loading up on talentless goons who could do nothing but lose hockey games. I also give him credit for getting Sean Burke who was really great but stuck on awful teams. Liut (and Al Smith, but that was in the WHA) had way more success but I think Burkie was the best Whalers goalie ever. One of my childhood heroes, I have a blank white Whalers jersey (a Christmas present from 1996) and I need to find a place that can turn it into a Burke jersey.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Darling has a .903 sv%. McBackup going into the night had a .903 sv%.

You'd think it was Cmc at .935 and Darling at .850 the way people talk about the two.

What I like about Curtis is how well he tracks the puck through traffic. But if I need someone to play laterally a bit, I'd rather have Darling.

The team has played some real good games in front of McC. Trying to think of his biggest save of the night. Maybe a shoulder shrug save through a screen? He did his job, but they really did an amazing job in front of him.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
John is heavily implying Rod should start McStarter back to back on Friday and Sat.

Poor Darling, no one supporters but one....

Darling will get one of those starts, I'm sure. He can have a good game here and there, but he's a backup being paid like a starter, and somehow still being trialed as a starter. I just hope Mrazek gets healthy soon. It's going to take 3 backups to have a sniff at a chance this season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Seriously, Darling had a bad game last game out (the whole team did that game), but he'd had 3 solid outings before that. I'm pretty sure anyone expecting "McStarter" in the long run will be sorely disappointed. Of course, I guess no one remembers when Curtis had a strong start with us, everyone had these same thoughts, and then he didn't play well for a few games.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Darling looked really good against Chicago. He was a big reason why they were able to tie, and eventually win that game. He also looked really bad against Columbus. As already stated, so did the rest of the team, but Darling certainly didn't help the matter.

Right now, McBackup has 2 wins in a row, which (and I just looked this up to confirm it) is still something Darling hasn't achieved in his Hurricane career. He's literally never won a game and followed it with another win while with the team.

No reason to not start Mac next game, then decide what to do after that.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Darling looked really good against Chicago. He was a big reason why they were able to tie, and eventually win that game. He also looked really bad against Columbus. As already stated, so did the rest of the team, but Darling certainly didn't help the matter.

Right now, McBackup has 2 wins in a row, which (and I just looked this up to confirm it) is still something Darling hasn't achieved in his Hurricane career. He's literally never won a game and followed it with another win while with the team.

No reason to not start Mac next game, then decide what to do after that.
I'm plenty fine with giving McElhinney games. We've just literally already been through it once this year where people are expecting too much from a guy that is a career backup, and not even always a good one. Yes, Darling and the team played awful against Columbus. And yes, he still hasn't won 2 in a row as a Hurricane. However, I just don't like that some around here will ignore his 3 game stretch where he was 2-0-1 with a 2.58 and a .924. I'm not willing to let one bad game torpedo a promising three game stretch.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I know we all like to complain about him and dunk on him, but did anybody else notice Tripp get super emotional at the end of the game when he dedicated the win to his Dad? My wife and I both got the impression that it sounded like Emmet, Jr.'s not in good health.
And he was flying home after the game. I wonder if he’s back for Friday? I hope everything turns out ok for him and his family.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I know we all like to complain about him and dunk on him, but did anybody else notice Tripp get super emotional at the end of the game when he dedicated the win to his Dad? My wife and I both got the impression that it sounded like Emmet, Jr.'s not in good health.

I saw it mentioned on Twitter. I believe either Cory or Section 328 came to the same conclusion. All the best to him and his family if that's the case.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So Svech was dominant in the first. For the first time he looked like he was the first forward in the draft. Fell off quite a bit the rest but I’m glad he got rewarded, he created the first goal almost solo.

I watched the TO broadcast for giggles. They flat out accuses the building for padding the shot clock. Multiple times. They go to the panel in between periods and Friedman said people were doubting it even in the studio and that the “boys upstairs” actually went back and counted them all to verify that it was legit. Then the next period the game guys said it was padded again anyways.

My god f*** all those people. So arrogant.

All around good effort. Rask got brought in slow, everyone contributed it seemed. Aho wasn’t too noticeable. Defense played great I thought.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad