Confirmed with Link: Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Frattin, 2nd, and conditional 3rd

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Always a closet Jackets fan.

Was Gaborik playing so poorly when he came back from the collarbone that it was worth moving him for a couple of marginal picks & some roster filler? I would think that it would have been better to see if he got hot come play-off time, unless he was really struggling or a distraction in the room.

To be fair, 4 games is not a lot of time to judge him after missing so much time, however, he just didn't seem to fit the current team structure and play style. Also, judging what some of the other wings got in return I think the return was very good. All of the deals for wingers were underwhelming which leads me to think the return around the draft would have been much worse and I don't think I saw anything that would indicate Gaborik was the "final piece" for the playoff push.

I think this team is a playoff team today just like they were yesterday morning. They need to prove it on the ice and bring it home.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Why are so few people giving grief to Jarmo for blowing $7 million + three good players on Gaborik and getting little in return??

By comparison, Maclean's Fedorov signing looks sweet.

Who were the three good players? If you are implying Dorsett was a good player you're crazy. Brassard? Average at best and a passenger. Moore? Great skater...look at me go. Moore may be the best asset of the bunch but none of them were impact players for the CBJ and there is no way we'll know if they could have garnered anything more separately.

It was a hockey trade at the time and it simply didn't work out. Yeah, it sucks but there isn't a GM that doesn't take a risk and find failure. If it becomes a pattern.... then I'll crucify Jarmo but at this point he's admitted it was a mistake and tried to get some assets to recover.

Frattin = Dorsett (maybe a wash but from limited viewing I think Frattin is a more well rounded player)
2nd = Brassard (Brassard wasn't a fit and wouldn't have landed anything more than a 2nd or mid-tier prospect in my opinion)
Moore > conditional 3rd. (This is where the balance shifts on the deal which is where the injury and poor performance shows the impact)

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I'm in the "we should have kept him camp" primarily for the chance he may have gotten hot helping us score down the stretch... on the other hand I just noticed we are 7th in the league in goals per game, the Jackets have been putting pucks in the net without Gabby... It's sort of a meaningless trade imo... The worst part of the whole thing was getting Gabby in the first place...

Sometimes you get the baar and sometimes the baar gets you!! :)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
for me, no matter the final out come, the deal made (and still does) sense...we got rid of a player that didn't fit here (Brass), a more than replaceable heart and soul guy (dorse), a repetitive and unneccessary dman (moore). It freed up contracts to make other moves and since we're not resigning Gaby, gives us a lot of cap flexibility this offseason to use.

I'm underwhelmed by the return we got for Gaby, and would probably have rathered kept him for stretch run, but we'll see what Frattin does here, he should fit in well and we still have the flexibility to do some things this off season

Yeah I was glad to part with those three, but you should realize that return is important, and we ended up losing substantial value on the combined deals. If we had just traded Brassard, Moore, and Dorsett for picks it would have been more than a 2nd and 3rd, AND you get the cap flexibility / freed up contracts either way. It's a poor excuse. Jarmo made a mistake and he's not trying to hide it, why are you?

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
I can't disagree that he can pull of sexy moves with speed, but he simply hasn't shown it recently. There's no debate that Gaborik is one of the most talented players in the world; but he wasn't making us a better team. The only case I'd make for him to stay is that he was taking on the top matchups from the other team, opening up chances for some of the other guys down the depth chart ... but, we were just as good without him as we were with him.

I never said our odds increased ... that would be blasphemous. I said that I didn't think he would increase our odds by staying.
The numbers are in and we had a slightly better record w/o him in the lineup. It would strange to trivialize that.

..And that is what I'm about to do heh. It was incidental, it was all about when Bob got hot. IMO he absolutely made us a better team.
People, stop re-hashing the "he doesn't fit it" narrative without any proof. He fit in the locker room, Dubie and Cam and all those guys always tweeted and instagramed pics of them hanging out, so it was obvious he was well liked in the room. He scored at almost a PPG last year after we got him, and since returning from injury while shaking of the rust he re-energized Anisimov on the ice and himself put up a goal and an assist as the team went on a 3-1-0 record.

While injured, no proof he didn't take his rehab seriously and it was always being reported he was skating by himself and working to get back.

So on the ice, no proof he didn't fit in, off the ice, no proof he didn't fit in.

However, he was a big name who drew attention to himself and we all know JD wants all the attention for himself and has handpicked Nathan Horton as the player face of the franchise.

Reality: We just shipped yet another dynamic, offensive skill player out of town (Nash, Carter, Zherdev, Voracek, Gaborik, etc) and now we can go watch them thrive in another market while the "cow town" crowd and 60-year old dispatch writers gush over the latest 4th line lunch pail to bring "sandpaper" and a "blue collar" mentality to his 6 minutes of ice time.

Kek's presser was complete BS and throwing Gabby under the bus like that showed NO CLASS. You have Steve Yzerman, who honors a diva-like trade request from the face of the franchise and still manages to be classy about it, not saying a negative word at his presser. And our GM doesn't have the class or character to notify Gabby of what's going on and doesn't even call Frattin to welcome him to the team. Then he "takes responsibility" at his presser by taking all sorts of vague, character-bashing shots at Gabby. Unacceptable.

Word up homie.

Borderline xenophobic cliche-riddled crap floating around all over the place about him. He played under Torts for christ sakes, a one-trick ra-ra pony from the 90's era of coaching w/ a personality disorder who got out-coached in every playoff game he's every been in.

Anybody who doesn't share Torts' personality disorder is considered soft and lazy by his standards. Meanwhile Horton is tough manly man Canadian "team guy" who doesn't float right? That's why we justify his trillion dollar salary right? No he's not lazy, as evidenced by his 30000 spectacularly stupid penalties per game (when he's not injured) (but he's not made of glass thats Gabby, Horton is a hard Canadian who got unlucky. Again. Just like when he missed half of last year).

OK I'll stop.

I really don't like this trade. Whatever. Win tonight plz guyz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad