Confirmed with Link: Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Frattin, 2nd, and conditional 3rd

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
the second round pick has a whole ****load of conditions that Portzline is now droning on about on Twitter if you care to read it

The only thing that I know out of that is that we will get a 2nd round pick sometime, so its not like we might not have an extra 2nd. It's just when

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Hey guys question about this trade: without reading this thread, why was it made, because I am confused... CBJ has not made the playoffs in a while, and though Gaborik was an impending UFA, I thought the Jackets would keep him because they are so close to the playoffs, similar to what the Panthers did in 2009 with Jay Bouw. I know he has been hurt a lot this year, but your team is better with him than without him so I am surprised by this. Thanks for any explanation, I am rooting for you guys.

bizzz*

edited for relevance to today
So many things are wrong with your editing...
9 goals in 34 games translates into 20+ goals for the year. 6 goals in 43 games is basically 11 goals for the year.
Even for Glencross the Jackets got something that could help them that season. This time they've got nothing useful in foreseeable future.
The Jackets traded Joe Motzko and Mark Hartigan for Glencross and Konopka, so eventually they didn't lose anything. They've lost 3 roster players for Gaborik.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hey guys question about this trade: without reading this thread, why was it made, because I am confused... CBJ has not made the playoffs in a while, and though Gaborik was an impending UFA, I thought the Jackets would keep him because they are so close to the playoffs, similar to what the Panthers did in 2009 with Jay Bouw. I know he has been hurt a lot this year, but your team is better with him than without him so I am surprised by this. Thanks for any explanation, I am rooting for you guys.

Many reasons.

1. He didn't really fit in with the teams style. He was more of a floater, Nick Foligno nearly trucked over him trying to battle for a puck a few games ago, and thats really how the rest of the team is besides him.

2. Huge contract, not enough production.

3. Team has a far better record without him than with him.

4. Given the above statement, and Jarmo had no plans on keeping him, might as well get something.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

The explanation is that some (including the front office) view Gaborik as a complete non-factor. No scoring, no potential for scoring, just nothing.

Now, I disagree with that assessment. I think Frattin is completely redundant with Comeau, Tropp, and Skille, and I think Gaborik has a small potential to be a top-6 scorer still. So, in my opinion, we moved a player with a small chance of success for something with no chance of success.

CBJBrassard16 said:
3. Team has a far better record without him than with him.
I could be wrong, but I don't think this is true. I believe the record with him in is better than the record without him.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Are the Blue Jackets better today? If I'm a Blue Jacket fan, today is what counts now, there's been enough of waiting for tomorrow. What do you guys say?

I've owned season tickets since the Jacket's inaugural season. For a team that's currently in a playoff spot; and only seen the playoffs once; and never won a playoff game, I would've hoped Jarmo asked himself your question. It appears to me he did not, and we are not.

Nice doing business with you guys. Hope both teams got something they need.

For the Kings it's low risk/high reward potential.

For the Jackets, it's high risk potential/low return. Only way Jarmo looks good is if Gabby floats his way through the rest of the season or goes on DL and contributes nothing to LA's playoff push. If Gabby contributes even a little to LA's playoff push and the CBJ end season out of the playoffs again......bad Jarmo:shakehead

the second round pick has a whole ****load of conditions that Portzline is now droning on about on Twitter if you care to read it

Hopefully, by 2018 or so, we'll know what we got out of this deal.:laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The explanation is that some (including the front office) view Gaborik as a complete non-factor. No scoring, no potential for scoring, just nothing.

Now, I disagree with that assessment. I think Frattin is completely redundant with Comeau, Tropp, and Skille, and I think Gaborik has a small potential to be a top-6 scorer still. So, in my opinion, we moved a player with a small chance of success for something with no chance of success.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is true. I believe the record with him in is better than the record without him.
The Blue Jackets are 10-10-2 with him in the lineup this season. They're 22-15-3 when he doesn't play.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I guess people are never gonna stop repeating this nonsense.
The Jackets were 9-3 with Gaborik in the line-up last season.

Ahem..The Blue Jackets are 10-10-2 with him in the lineup this season. They're 22-15-3 when he doesn't play.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Leafs fan in peace:

Frattin may be a pleasant surprise for you guys. Haven't followed him since his trade to the west in the summer, but during his time here he was a pretty good second line guy. Put up some beauty goals and has good foot speed. Not afraid to throw the body around either.

Never was a Gaborik fan at any point in his career, I think Frattin will be a better fit with a more "blue collar" type of team.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

I would say about 80% of the thread posters agree with you. The others see Gaborik as wasted roster spot. No one questions that he wasn't currently helping the team, as he just returned from a collarbone injury. But a majority here feel the potential of him helping the team on a playoff push was worth more than knowing we got nothing in return that will help us this year. The guy had 76 points just two years ago, but we're in an instant gratification society and he's done nothing for us lately.

bizzz*

Ahem..The Blue Jackets are 10-10-2 with him in the lineup this season. They're 22-15-3 when he doesn't play.

Now I get it. Gaborik was the reason for JJ's sucking and Bob's inconsistency. That's a miracle they're 3-1 with that bum in the line-up after the Olympics break.
Too bad he wasn't on the team at the beginning of last season, we would have had an explanation for the disastrous start of the year.

The fact is: the Jackets are 19-12-3 with Gaborik in the line-up. And he's a plus-5 player as a Jacket. Forever.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

He didn't fit in, despite what he said publicly he didn't like Columbus and wasn't coming back next year. Like most of these issues stuff will leak out in due time - the Dispatch has been piling on him pretty good recently.
The CBJ rolled the dice on him, he's had issues in the past but other times he's an ultra productive player. I have no idea if his elite speed or goal scoring will ever return, but the CBJ knew he wasn't coming back and they wanted to get something for him. They didn't get much, which is a good indication that noo one else looked at him as an elite rental, more like a lottery ticket than a sure thing.
Good luck to Gabby. The CBJ are not out of this, if they play well as a team they have a shot to get in - I don't honestly think the odds have gotten worse without Gabby. Now if he goes out to LA and gets hot then I'll eat my crow.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Now I get it. Gaborik was the reason for JJ's sucking and Bob's inconsistency. That's a miracle they're 3-1 with that bum in the line-up after the Olympics break.
Too bad he wasn't on the team at the beginning of last season, we would have had an explanation for the disastrous start of the year.

The fact is: the Jackets are 19-12-3 with Gaborik in the line-up. And he's a plus-5 player as a Jacket. Forever.

Who the hell cares, the facts say what the facts say with regards to the record. If he was a true superstar or gamebreaker he could have scored more than 5 goals in the games he played and won a 2-1 or 3-2 game himself. He had done it many times with New York and Minnesota. He's not the same player, and he's not a fit. The team being 3-1 after the olympic break has almost nothing to do with Gaborik. He scored in the only game we lost, whoopee. He got a secondary assist and was in the general area when Arty scored last night.. Yay. I'm not a fan of throwing away Gabby for nothing but let' be honest here.

CBJ Tiffin

Jan 2, 2011
Saw a theory on Twitter last night and wondered what everyone thinks:

Arty was on a scoring streak with Gabby back in the lineup. Any possibility that this increased production was due to other teams having to pay attention to Gabby which then freed up space for Arty?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Just out of curiosity, has anyone really seen Frattin play. I feel pretty confident that he is not another Comeau or Tropp. Yeah hes having a bad season on a team that cant score when he was asked to play his wrong side but the potential is there. He has a good shot and pretty decent hands, hes a legitimate top 9 guy and in a more offensive role he might be able to show why he was thought to have 20-25 goal potential not that long ago

bizzz*

Who the hell cares, the facts say what the facts say with regards to the record. If he was a true superstar or gamebreaker he could have scored more than 5 goals in the games he played and won a 2-1 or 3-2 game himself. He had done it many times with New York and Minnesota. He's not the same player, and he's not a fit. The team being 3-1 after the olympic break has almost nothing to do with Gaborik. He scored in the only game we lost, whoopee. He got a secondary assist and was in the general area when Arty scored last night.. Yay. I'm not a fan of throwing away Gabby for nothing but let' be honest here.

No one is saying that Gaborik is a superstar. But saying that the team is better without him based on this season record is just primitivism, you're dismissing all the other factors and players that affected the games outcome.
This is ridiculous when people are still giving a pass to Horton and at the same time blaming Gaborik for not dominating the games after he spent 4 month on the injured reserve.
GM trades 3 players for a guy and then says that the guy "is not a fit". Only incompetent GMs do it, this approach to players acquiring is unacceptable.

bizzz*

Arty was on a scoring streak with Gabby back in the lineup. Any possibility that this increased production was due to other teams having to pay attention to Gabby which then freed up space for Arty?

From the Dallas game thread:
Gaborik draws a lot of attention from the opposition defense and creates a lot of space for his partners, that allows Arty to score recently.
In Toronto Franson took a hit on Anisimov and went right back to Gabby, leaving Arty wide open.
Tonight when Arty scored the 4th goal Daley didn't pay any attention to the play, he was just covering Gaborik all the way.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
No one is saying that Gaborik is a superstar. But saying that the team is better without him based on this season record is just primitivism, you're dismissing all the other factors and players that affected the games outcome.
This is ridiculous when people are still giving a pass to Horton and at the same time blaming Gaborik for not dominating the games after he spent 4 month on the injured reserve.
GM trades 3 players for a guy and then says that the guy "is not a fit". Only incompetent GMs do it, this approach to players acquiring is unacceptable.

I do agree with some of these points. I don't know why Horton is getting passes, I and some others have began noting his lack of production recently.

And yes I do agree, JK is rather underwhelming so far as a GM. I could care less about what he gave for Gaborik, none of them are that special. But what exactly has he brought here? Horton, who's been meh at best. Tropp, Comeau, Schultz, and Frattin. Very meh.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Valid theory. Could be tough to substantiate due to Arty's past history of being a "streaky" player, but him disappearing again for the near future would provide more ammunition on why this trade was bad.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010

I agree, its not a good day for Jarmo. His first major trade backfired. He wasted trading chips in Brassard and Moore for a player that barely stayed a year. It's still all Howson players that are responsible for the turnaround.

IMO they had a better shot at making the postseason with Gaborik than without. I thought they should of just kept him and treated him like a rental player.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I just hope the team kicks serious ass down the stretch and this whole thing will be a non-issue in hindsight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad