Confirmed with Link: Gaborik (with 50% Retained) to Kings for Frattin, 2nd, and conditional 3rd

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Okay I see where you guys are coming from. I would've kept him, but it totally backfired when Florida did this in '09, Jaybo became useless because he was mad he wasn't traded to an SC contender when we were a borderline playoff team, we missed the playoffs and had to wait 3 more years to make them and got nothing in return. It's a tricky situation.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
I would have kept him as well. While he clearly isn't the same guy he was a few years ago (and that was obvious before they traded for him), he still demanded attention when he was on the ice which potentially provided more opportunities to other lines and other players. The team went 9-3 after acquiring him last year and has started to win again after his recent return from injury this season. If you make the playoffs and get into low scoring battles, a guy like Gaborik might catch fire for a few weeks and carry you. If they had the opportunity to trade him to fill a clear need elsewhere, fine. But this was a straight dump for a pick or 2 that might help you in 4-5 years. As a team with a clear chance of making the playoffs, I am not sure how this improves that chance at all. And wasn't that the whole point of the trade last year?

silver89

Nov 25, 2013
Sweden
I would have kept him as well. While he clearly isn't the same guy he was a few years ago (and that was obvious before they traded for him), he still demanded attention when he was on the ice which potentially provided more opportunities to other lines and other players. The team went 9-3 after acquiring him last year and has started to win again after his recent return from injury this season. If you make the playoffs and get into low scoring battles, a guy like Gaborik might catch fire for a few weeks and carry you. If they had the opportunity to trade him to fill a clear need elsewhere, fine. But this was a straight dump for a pick or 2 that might help you in 4-5 years. As a team with a clear chance of making the playoffs, I am not sure how this improves that chance at all. And wasn't that the whole point of the trade last year?

Dumbass Jarmo, what ya gonna do? :shakehead

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Since people were saying we werent taking on salary, it was a meh trade, but if we have to pay ANY of the salary and the 3rd pick is only if they sign him or make it out of the 1st round, this is by far the worst deal of the day! No way should we be paying for ANY of that contract, and then to pick up 6/7 dman for $3.5m is mind blowing. We needed to get better to keep pace with teams who want to win the Stanley Cup, we didnt do that, very disappointing.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I like the deal.

Gaborik wasn't in our long-term plans, and was probably going to walk this summer ... we get a second round pick for a rental player, plus a guy (Frattin) who still has some potential, and fits right into our playing style.

I don't think Gaborik was going to make a huge difference for us down the stretch and into the playoffs, either way. Decent return for a 31 year old goal scorer that only has 6 goals this year.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I'd just like to point out that Matt Frattin is a multiple time 30 goal scorer in my NHL 14 dynasty. Who wins the trade now?! ;)

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Does Frattin step in the 2nd line where Gabby was at or do we bump someone from the 3rd line up? Does Frattin even dress tomorrow or wait a couple of days so he can practice with the new team?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Does Frattin step in the 2nd line where Gabby was at or do we bump someone from the 3rd line up? Does Frattin even dress tomorrow or wait a couple of days so he can practice with the new team?

I don't see him displacing Horton or Atkinson, personally ... he's destined for the bottom 6, which is a great problem for us.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
Gaborik wasn't in our long-term plans, and was probably going to walk this summer ...
agree
we get a second round pick for a rental player, plus a guy (Frattin) who still has some potential, and fits right into our playing style.
Egh I can't see him working out TBH.

I don't think Gaborik was going to make a huge difference for us down the stretch and into the playoffs, either way.

I just don't know how you can say that. He can't be counted on to produce goals like he once did but when it's crunch time he was one of the best guys (the best?) at pulling a sexy move w/ speed, breaking the line and setting everything up inside the opposing blue line. IMHO.

Anisimov can do that too and then some but... I don't know. I look at our forward lines pre and post Gaborik and I just can't see a way our playoff odds increased today.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I just don't know how you can say that. He can't be counted on to produce goals like he once did but when it's crunch time he was one of the best guys (the best?) at pulling a sexy move w/ speed, breaking the line and setting everything up inside the opposing blue line. IMHO.

Anisimov can do that too and then some but... I don't know. I look at our forward lines pre and post Gaborik and I just can't see a way our playoff odds increased today.

I can't disagree that he can pull of sexy moves with speed, but he simply hasn't shown it recently. There's no debate that Gaborik is one of the most talented players in the world; but he wasn't making us a better team. The only case I'd make for him to stay is that he was taking on the top matchups from the other team, opening up chances for some of the other guys down the depth chart ... but, we were just as good without him as we were with him.

I never said our odds increased ... that would be blasphemous. I said that I didn't think he would increase our odds by staying.

jacketsinDC

Mar 8, 2011
Seattle
I think he could have gotten more, but not a whole lot more. Anyway, I'm sick of giving goal scorers to LA and watching them magically regain their will to play hockey.

This really just confirms that the original trade for gaborik wasn't a good deal. Maybe if it was savard instead of moore...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he could have gotten more, but not a whole lot more. Anyway, I'm sick of giving goal scorers to LA and watching them magically regain their will to play hockey.

This really just confirms that the original trade for gaborik wasn't a good deal. Maybe if it was savard instead of moore...

Don't get the fascination with Moore. He hasn't done anything in NYR and is stapled on their 3rd pair, just like Savard. People are wow'd by his skating, but seriously that's all he has. He's a bigger Kris Russell.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm definitely not thrilled to see him go for the small return. but...

"We're a young team. We're a blue-collar team. We're a hard-working team, and he's a finesse, skilled player who wasn't the greatest fit," Kekalainen said. "I'll take responsibility for that.

Thats all Jarmo needed to say. I'm hoping that means his body cant hang in there with the rest of the team. Hoping thats what the Kings come to find out too. Good luck I guess Gabby.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
I'd just like to point out that Matt Frattin is a multiple time 30 goal scorer in my NHL 14 dynasty. Who wins the trade now?! ;)

Well, speaking of NHL 14, I will say that I'm disappointed I won't get to use Gaborik on the Jackets in online versus. I doubt he could improve my record much, but his speed is fun and missed on the Jackets depth chart.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Saw a theory on Twitter last night and wondered what everyone thinks:

Arty was on a scoring streak with Gabby back in the lineup. Any possibility that this increased production was due to other teams having to pay attention to Gabby which then freed up space for Arty?

The SH goal against Florida where Arty went 1v3, stole a puck then beat all the defenders? All the defenders were concerned with Gaborik jumping off the bench.

The goal in NJ where Schneider let it go right through him? Gaborik must had Jedi mind tricked him.

Gaborik has been a passenger most of the season. I hate ragging on him, but he is not the reason Anisimov is playing well.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Has it been confirmed anywhere if we did have to take on salary? The article on TSN doesnt mention it, but the title here still says we're paying

Edit: Just read on Capgeek that we indeed still are paying his salary. Jarmo just got fleeced big time in that deal. Of side note, we're also still paying for Commodore through next season, he must LOVE Howson!

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Why are so few people giving grief to Jarmo for blowing $7 million + three good players on Gaborik and getting little in return??

By comparison, Maclean's Fedorov signing looks sweet.

cbjbluejackets61

This is neat!
Feb 26, 2009
Columbus
you know, i slept on the trade and this morning I changed my mind on the trade.

Yesterday, i was okay with the trade because we got rid of human glass for at least some type of picks and a depth player.... but now, i hate it.

:shakehead

Paisano*

So they're all saying LA really helped themselves in the playoff push, got the scorer they needed, blah,blah,blah! We got a 4th line grinder we don't need and a draft pick we don't need and get to pay half of gabbys salary on top of that! What a crap trade! So when do we trade Horton? He's not producing either after coming off an injury!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I have decided I'm going to hold off on anything like final judgment until I see how Frattin plays here. Early indications are suboptimal, but, hey, it could work. I remember being shocked and appalled by the Zherdev-for-Tyutin trade, after all, and the sudden reversal on that is a large part of why I've long supported Howson.

Right now, though, I'm wishing Jarmo had had the foresight to realize that value for forwards was crap this year and to pull out of the market. Sometimes that sort of thing happens.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Why are so few people giving grief to Jarmo for blowing $7 million + three good players on Gaborik and getting little in return??

By comparison, Maclean's Fedorov signing looks sweet.

for me, no matter the final out come, the deal made (and still does) sense...we got rid of a player that didn't fit here (Brass), a more than replaceable heart and soul guy (dorse), a repetitive and unneccessary dman (moore). It freed up contracts to make other moves and since we're not resigning Gaby, gives us a lot of cap flexibility this offseason to use.

I'm underwhelmed by the return we got for Gaby, and would probably have rathered kept him for stretch run, but we'll see what Frattin does here, he should fit in well and we still have the flexibility to do some things this off season

IHeartZherdev*

People, stop re-hashing the "he doesn't fit it" narrative without any proof. He fit in the locker room, Dubie and Cam and all those guys always tweeted and instagramed pics of them hanging out, so it was obvious he was well liked in the room. He scored at almost a PPG last year after we got him, and since returning from injury while shaking of the rust he re-energized Anisimov on the ice and himself put up a goal and an assist as the team went on a 3-1-0 record.

While injured, no proof he didn't take his rehab seriously and it was always being reported he was skating by himself and working to get back.

So on the ice, no proof he didn't fit in, off the ice, no proof he didn't fit in.

However, he was a big name who drew attention to himself and we all know JD wants all the attention for himself and has handpicked Nathan Horton as the player face of the franchise.

Reality: We just shipped yet another dynamic, offensive skill player out of town (Nash, Carter, Zherdev, Voracek, Gaborik, etc) and now we can go watch them thrive in another market while the "cow town" crowd and 60-year old dispatch writers gush over the latest 4th line lunch pail to bring "sandpaper" and a "blue collar" mentality to his 6 minutes of ice time.

Kek's presser was complete BS and throwing Gabby under the bus like that showed NO CLASS. You have Steve Yzerman, who honors a diva-like trade request from the face of the franchise and still manages to be classy about it, not saying a negative word at his presser. And our GM doesn't have the class or character to notify Gabby of what's going on and doesn't even call Frattin to welcome him to the team. Then he "takes responsibility" at his presser by taking all sorts of vague, character-bashing shots at Gabby. Unacceptable.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Don't get the fascination with Moore. He hasn't done anything in NYR and is stapled on their 3rd pair, just like Savard. People are wow'd by his skating, but seriously that's all he has. He's a bigger Kris Russell.

Savard is getting better and better. No need to downtalk him.

IHeartZherdev*

It's not about Moore. All the guys in that trade were expendable.

It's the fact that we gave up 3 assets for 1 asset that only lasted a year. We could have packaged Moore (or any of those guys) with other picks or assets in other deals for a returning asset that would have actually lasted and maybe made a longer term impact on our roster, rather than the year long renting of Gabby.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
People, stop re-hashing the "he doesn't fit it" narrative without any proof. He fit in the locker room, Dubie and Cam and all those guys always tweeted and instagramed pics of them hanging out, so it was obvious he was well liked in the room. He scored at almost a PPG last year after we got him, and since returning from injury while shaking of the rust he re-energized Anisimov on the ice and himself put up a goal and an assist as the team went on a 3-1-0 record.

While injured, no proof he didn't take his rehab seriously and it was always being reported he was skating by himself and working to get back.

So on the ice, no proof he didn't fit in, off the ice, no proof he didn't fit in.

Decently put, and I agree with the need to avoid coming up with these sorts of crazy conspiracy theories...

However, he was a big name who drew attention to himself and we all know JD wants all the attention for himself and has handpicked Nathan Horton as the player face of the franchise.

...which is what makes this sudden about-face so very, very disappointing. But also very amusingly ironic.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad