GDT: G78: Capitals @ Red Wings | 4/9/24 | 7:00p ET | ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Without Chucky, we are sucky. Probably not even sniffing a PO spot without him.

Think Lappy's line starts scoring again next game. Too many close chances generated.
Lappy's missed opportunities in a high pressure game had me feeling like he's a prototypical Cap.

When he missed that wide open net I yelled, "F off!" Like it was a playoff game.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I ain't down on Lappy, it's more a commentary of the high stakes nature of the game.

I thought he played pretty well.

Nah, don't bs, you were getting crappy on Lappy. haha "Lappy's missed opportunities in a high pressure game had me feeling like he's a prototypical Cap."

It's cool...think if anyone needs to 'step up', it's MickeyMike.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lappy might be our #1 prospect / player up from Hershey, He always looks very fast and making scoring chances. He's gotten much better each season and very excited to see his next jump in development.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Nah, don't bs, you were getting crappy on Lappy. haha "Lappy's missed opportunities in a high pressure game had me feeling like he's a prototypical Cap."

It's cool...think if anyone needs to 'step up', it's MickeyMike.
What are you a mind reader? Lappy missed a wide open net and I reacted as any normal hockey fan would. If Ovie missed an open net in a big game I'd get excited as well.

And if you don't have a sense of humour about the Caps history of underperforming in the playoffs, I feel bad for you.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Lappy might be our #1 prospect / player up from Hershey, He always looks very fast and making scoring chances. He's gotten much better each season and very excited to see his next jump in development.
He's got the IQ to go along with the physical tools. That's what separates him from the other kids right now. Can't wait to see him alongside Lenny.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think before Game 1 of the season no one saw them being in a playoff spot this late in the season so that’s neat.
Its April 10th and the Caps are currently in a playoff spot. Zero people predicted this in October. A whole lot of kudo's to go around for the club.

Might have a playoff spot locked up already if Ovi hadn't been hurt to start the season.

Lappy's missed opportunities in a high pressure game had me feeling like he's a prototypical Cap.

When he missed that wide open net I yelled, "F off!" Like it was a playoff game.

Looking at the replay, he never really got his stick on it, it kinda just bounced off his skate. Tough play for anyone to make.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I ain't down on Lappy, it's more a commentary of the high stakes nature of the game.

I thought he played pretty well.
I am still damaged goods from 2010 Montreal. Green and Semin (maybe Ovi too?) couldn't hit the side a barn trying to pick the top corner and missing the net posts ringing like a doorbell or crushing the glass over and over on countless high quality chances the entire series.

The cup eased 40 years of suffering but the slate was not totally wiped clean.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Mad props for this gang. Lindgren was amazing. I was actually impressed by AA who was very composed and had two nice soccer moves.

Also loved the replay on Ovies goal. I knew where it was going but looking at his stick i still thought it was going high glove. Nice little detail.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I am still damaged goods from 2010 Montreal. Green and Semin (maybe Ovi too?) couldn't hit the side a barn trying to pick the top corner and missing the net posts ringing like a doorbell or crushing the glass over and over on countless high quality chances the entire series.

The cup eased 40 years of suffering but the slate was not totally wiped clean.
apropos.... but also, Jimi's in his first season. He will continue to improve.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'll give props to Lindgren and a few others but let's not pretend the team is actually better than we thought they'd be. They have the 4th worst goal differential at 5v5 in the NHL and have average special teams. They have been extremely fortunate to sequence their goals almost perfectly in order to squeeze out a .500 record.

If they play like this next year they'll almost surely be a bottom 8 team.

• Wow
Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
What are you a mind reader? Lappy missed a wide open net and I reacted as any normal hockey fan would. If Ovie missed an open net in a big game I'd get excited as well.

And if you don't have a sense of humour about the Caps history of underperforming in the playoffs, I feel bad for you.

hahahaha I can't believe you read my reply...including using 'crappy on lappy' and a 'haha' and walk away with: 'This guy doesn't have a sense a humour'. Derp derp!

Urkel-e1630510003466.jpg

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
I'll give props to Lindgren and a few others but let's not pretend the team is actually better than we thought they'd be. They have the 4th worst goal differential at 5v5 in the NHL and have average special teams. They have been extremely fortunate to sequence their goals almost perfectly in order to squeeze out a .500 record.

If they play like this next year they'll almost surely be a bottom 8 team.
But at the end of the day the only reality that matters is the standings and where they sit, which is in the final wildcard spot with one week left in th regular season.

I think most people here thought they would finish lower than last season (13th in the East with 80 points).

So they are actually better than we thought they'd be.

(And I know what you're saying - they have some really ugly stat lines and this probably breaks the spreadsheets, but sometimes shit happens when it...shouldn't?).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
But at the end of the day the only reality that matters is the standings and where they sit, which is in the final wildcard spot with one week left in th regular season.

I think most people here thought they would finish lower than last season (13th in the East with 80 points).

So they are actually better than we thought they'd be.

(And I know what you're saying - they have some really ugly stat lines and this probably breaks the spreadsheets, but sometimes shit happens when it...shouldn't?).

Yeah they are clearly overperforming in the standings which is great but I think they'd be wise to realize that this year is a fluke. If they run this same team back next year with no major changes I think they're closer to a lottery team than a playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad