GDT: G75: Capitals @ Canadiens | 4/16/22 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'm 59 I watched gretzky his entire career. He could have scored 1200 goals. He chose not to. He had many snipers on his team..he used them
Maybe but I'm ranking snipers as goal scorers and I'm 59 as well and was at the 50 in 39 games against Philly Lafluer could have scored 60-70 every season in his prime as well if he ever had an elite centerman Ovie would have been 70-80-90 goal scorer during that era as well

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Carlson with another sneaky good game. I know he wasn’t the big star of tonight’s game but the junk appears to be out of the trunk. If he can keep playing this way it’ll go a long way in the postseason.

The third pair has looked really shaky. I hope they rectify whatever issues they are having.

They looked so much better when they altered the lines mid-game. No need to be cute, just play 8-92-43 and have them figure it out.

The ???-Dowd-Hathaway line is such a gift. They get hard matchups and keep breaking even or better. The top 6 needs to take advantage of this.

Reactions: tycoonheart

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Carlson with another sneaky good game. I know he wasn’t the big star of tonight’s game but the junk appears to be out of the trunk. If he can keep playing this way it’ll go a long way in the postseason.

The third pair has looked really shaky. I hope they rectify whatever issues they are having.

They looked so much better when they altered the lines mid-game. No need to be cute, just play 8-92-43 and have them figure it out.

The ???-Dowd-Hathaway line is such a gift. They get hard matchups and keep breaking even or better. The top 6 needs to take advantage of this.
I feel like Larsson is really starting to feel comfortable. He was very physical tonight and had good puck control on the cycle.

In fact the whole squad was much more physical tonight. This is what you get with veterans in the playoffs.

Reactions: tycoonheart

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
I feel like Larsson is really starting to feel comfortable. He was very physical tonight and had good puck control on the cycle.

In fact the whole squad was much more physical tonight. This is what you get with veterans in the playoffs.
he packs a punch..for a shorter guy he is stout. Veterans in the playoffs, however, have been bounced in the 1st round 3 years running

Reactions: troyerlaw

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013

love the larrson pickup. that line is way more dynamic and dangerous. they have an actual hockey player to make hockey plays

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It was so weird how people acted like the Caps got totally buried on the trade. The only issues with Mantha is he doesn't "play how a big guy" does and he's always hurt.
Despite that, Mantha is the far better 2-way player and he can be a play maker or goal scorer. Vrana is just a pure goal scorer with speed. He's a defensive liability, so he needs to play with linemates who back-check. Vrana was a good compliment during the Cup Winning Run in '18, but he wasn't going to fit long term because he wasn't going to get top playing minutes with the Caps. With the Wings they needed a pure goal scorer who could play in the top 6, both even strength and PP.

Reactions: Corby78

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Who in DET was really going to drag or push Mantha, including in the physicality department?

This is his first time playing close to a full season for a team with a shot at doing anything.
I don't know what to select as the play of the game.
Ovi's goal or the thumb up by Willy to Anderson :laugh:

Reactions: ovikovy817

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It’s hard watching Backstrom. He’s simply terrible and it’s tough to see him like this but he’s a liability. The only situations he’s not noticeably bad are on the PP or in the offensive zone since he can use his intelligence and his ability to protect the puck to keep the play going. He’s really, really bad in transition since he can’t keep up and his line gets hemmed in their own zone a lot because he can’t skate with his man.

I don’t know what you do with him. Well, I do… but that’s not going to happen. I sit him next game and see how his line looks with McMichael. If they insist on playing him, he should have the lowest ESTOI and play at evens only situationally as the de facto 4C. Maybe he’ll bounce back next season after a summer of on-ice training but if their goal is try and win this year he shouldn’t be playing.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
For Nick, it’s limited ES minutes, stay high in the defensive zone, 1 speedy winger, 1 working class, puck retrieving board battling winger, both wingers defensively responsible. So, that = Mojo + . . . Larson maybe. Don’t think Oshie and Nick can be on the same line - way too much slow there. In the 3rd period you could flip Larson with Sheary on Dowd’s line, and basically sit Nick’s line except for an offensive start or two. It’s sad, but it’s where we are, unless he finds some magic elixir to fix his hip. Right now, He skates like he’s massively impeded.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Caps go 5-1 in their last 6 games, outscoring opponents 34-21, and 31-14 in the 5 wins.

"Yeah but Backstrom looks slow sometimes".

:DD

Hf!

Reactions: RedRocking

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
8-92-43 just needs to be the line, especially with Wilson doing Wilson things lately (for better or worse) I know it’s cliche at this point, but anything to create a little extra room for 8-92 will go a long way. If they are to have success in the playoffs, comes down to them

Mantha-Eller was solid. Stick Oshie with those two.

Larsson-Dowd-Hathaway looks quite dependable right now. And that would leave perhaps Sheary-Backstrom-Johansson (bleh). Sheary can hustle to maybe make up for Backstrom getting beat in transition. I’d stick McMichael there instead of Johansson. He can drive some offense there at least

Reactions: g00n

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
It’s hard watching Backstrom. He’s simply terrible and it’s tough to see him like this but he’s a liability. The only situations he’s not noticeably bad are on the PP or in the offensive zone since he can use his intelligence and his ability to protect the puck to keep the play going. He’s really, really bad in transition since he can’t keep up and his line gets hemmed in their own zone a lot because he can’t skate with his man.

I don’t know what you do with him. Well, I do… but that’s not going to happen. I sit him next game and see how his line looks with McMichael. If they insist on playing him, he should have the lowest ESTOI and play at evens only situationally as the de facto 4C. Maybe he’ll bounce back next season after a summer of on-ice training but if their goal is try and win this year he shouldn’t be playing.
I think they will sit Backstrom after LV game. Then let McMike play the last few games and rest Backstrom. But i think part of it is Nicks decision. He has been too valuable to this team. Just like everything in life there are politics in hockey rooms. His is earned. I suspect when he got his maintenance day and missed (i think the philly game), he probably asked (or at least agreed) to it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Caps go 5-1 in their last 6 games, outscoring opponents 34-21, and 31-14 in the 5 wins.

Hf!

Yes, it’s a legitimate criticism. Especially when during that 6-game stretch Backstrom is a 31% xGF (worst on the team) and has been outscored 6-2 at 5v5, and that this poor play at 5v5 is a continuation of a downward trend all season.

The process is quite important at this point of the season, with their seeding being relatively locked in. Winning these games is nice, but these games don’t mean a whole ton once the playoffs start.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Hf!
He had the lowest game score of any Caps forward last night and he’s their worst forward in terms of expected goals for percentage over the past two months. We can appreciate this strong stretch of play from the team while also acknowledging that a second line with Backstrom is going to get pummeled by whoever they play in Round 1.

Backstrom is Mike Richards level of bad right now.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes, it’s a legitimate criticism. Especially when during that 6-game stretch Backstrom is a 31% xGF (worst on the team) and has been outscored 6-2 at 5v5, and that this poor play at 5v5 is a continuation of a downward trend all season.

The process is quite important at this point of the season, with their seeding being relatively locked in. Winning these games is nice, but these games don’t mean a whole ton once the playoffs start.

Right. So if they don't mean shit then why worry about NB in the playoffs? They've known for some time they're going to make it. Do you think it's possible NB is just going at 70% power to stay fit and avoid injury?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Right. So if they don't mean shit then why worry about NB in the playoffs? They've known for some time they're going to make it. Do you think it's possible NB is just going at 70% power to stay fit and avoid injury?
Nope…not sure why this is the hill you choose to defend today.

He is what he is right now. This is probably the best we’ll see this season. He’s not sandbagging…come on.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Disingenuous comment….he looks slow ALL the time. Not a criticism, but the reality.

Not true but OK. I've seen him keep pace with other players at times, when necessary. I've also seen him kind of floating.

Call it inaccurate in your opinion but no "disingenuous". 100% factual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad