Post-Game Talk: G7: Trotzs @ not-Rierdens | 1/26/2021 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
caps-winter-classic-jersey.jpg

I know it's probably an optical illusion, but Backstrom really did blow up a little there back then huh...

Reactions: HTFN

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
There is a noticeable difference to consumers in a complete rebrand vs a spot alternate sale.

You wanna go complete rebrand, fine, but don’t try some transparent ass marketing move and try to sell it as a brand “tweak” lol....
It's no different than any franchise advertising a playoff whiteout. This whole concept isn't really my sticking point either, I frankly don't care if the fans don't match the players ~4 days out of the year (and probably zero playoff appearances).

But it's literally the same as any team advertising a playoff whiteout/blackout/whatever color. Hey fans, we're going to wear X color for tonight's game, we'd love it if you also wore X color, see you there, etc. etc.

There's already shitloads of blue Capitals gear that people own but leave at home because "we wear red". Lots of people, myself included, wouldn't even need to buy anything new, we'd just get to wear something different. Couple those people with the people who would be buying the alternate gear anyway and for a handful of nights I really don't see what the problem is.

edit: I see my mistake, I said marketing campaign instead of campaign which does have a different edge. All I meant was to make sure the PA, twitter, basically everywhere they talk to fans was reminding them to wear their blue gear on whatever date and really try to get people to rotate on alternate days.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I just like having more options. We're not a 2 color team like many other teams, we've always been a 3 color team: Red, White & Blue (Gold, Black, Blue). Now there is a jersey for each color, with one being drastically different. People might have polarizing views about the design, but at least its uniquely ours.

And I understand that we are a "red" team, and our primary jerseys are red. But we are no longer in the "Rock the Red" Era. That is an era long gone now.

really? Because on 1/22/21 The Capitals hosted the virtual Rock the Red Carpet event....lol...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's no different than any franchise advertising a playoff whiteout. This whole concept isn't really my sticking point either, I frankly don't care if the fans don't match the players ~4 days out of the year (and probably zero playoff appearances).

But it's literally the same as any team advertising a playoff whiteout/blackout/whatever color. Hey fans, we're going to wear X color for tonight's game, we'd love it if you also wore X color, see you there, etc. etc.

There's already shitloads of blue Capitals gear that people own but leave at home because "we wear red". Lots of people, myself included, wouldn't even need to buy anything new, we'd just get to wear something different. Couple those people with the people who would be buying the alternate gear anyway and for a handful of nights I really don't see what the problem is.

edit: I see my mistake, I said marketing campaign instead of campaign which does have a different edge. All I meant was to make sure the PA, twitter, basically everywhere they talk to fans was reminding them to wear their blue gear on whatever date and really try to get people to rotate on alternate days.

a complete rebrand is different, but we can move on.....

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
a complete rebrand is different, but we can move on.....
Sure, it's different in scale and persistence, but neither is impossible with a modicum of effort and they don't have to be done cynically either.

and again, this is all based around the condition that the fans must match the home team or the entire brand identity falls apart.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
really? Because on 1/22/21 The Capitals hosted the virtual Rock the Red Carpet event....lol...

Yeah they will have some events with the phrase on it, but as a marketing era, "Rock the Red" died on that fateful day the Penguins knocked us out Game 7 in 2017. The last of our Capitals President's Trophy winning super teams.

"Rock the Red" Is Officially Dead

The very next season in 2017-2018 saw the birth of #ALLCAPS... and as we all know... the rest is history.

Capitals Launch New Marketing Campaign, ALL CAPS

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
So dead but not really.

Bring on the Blue Maroons!
That's a different game though. I'm slightly less cool with these:
cfe2f311-237a-4936-9826-78a0c5210b6f-thumbnail_JACKETS_REVERSE_RETRO.jpg

for flying directly against the formal identity of the team. Not just because the word Blue is in it, because even a team like the Blues has a little leeway to pull from soul art, but because their entire namesake is to do with wearing blue outerwear. This is downright stupid.

I don't think the Capitals and their current brand suffer from that kind of problem.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Gimmick? I am a brand creator by trade. Branding is a gimmick? Rocking the Red is a brand identifier. Its not a gimmick. The shootout is a gimmick. A power play in a brand identifier
Are the All Black Mamba jerseys bad for the Lakers brand?

How about the Miami Heat Vice jerseys?

The New York Giants are known for their Blue & White combo and they have had red jerseys over the years. Even the Rangers have donned a darker Navy Blue sweater despite having one of the most iconic jersey/logo combinations in hockey.

They're wearing these for what, 4 games? They are still a red team. They'll wear red with fans in the building during the playoffs.

For all the love the old 70's throwbacks get on here it's not like we have a successful history wearing them. There's not really anything in the past to honor by going back to those over and over.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are the All Black Mamba jerseys bad for the Lakers brand?

How about the Miami Heat Vice jerseys?

The New York Giants are known for their Blue & White combo and they have had red jerseys over the years. Even the Rangers have donned a darker Navy Blue sweater despite having one of the most iconic jersey/logo combinations in hockey.

They're wearing these for what, 4 games? They are still a red team. They'll wear red with fans in the building during the playoffs.

For all the love the old 70's throwbacks get on here it's not like we have a successful history wearing them. There's not really anything in the past to honor by going back to those over and over.

The alternate uniform can be a fine thing. My only point is that it needs to fit the identity of the hockey team. The Bruins with the bear face rather than spoked hub or the Rangers with the Statue of Liberty head have real value. Calling your building "Blueland" sending your team out in a red uniform is stupid.

There is a reason that the Yankees and Red Sox and Red Wings and Canadiens have such success with their heritage uniforms and a reason why some teams are constantly changing their unis. Usually the team with consistency is the team with a more solid foundation.

I think having an alternate look is great for the Caps. So long as its a primary red or primary white construction. The Caps in black would be....was....a terrible mistake. Where the Hurricanes black uni makes the Hurricane warning flag clearer and so it works there. There is black in the Flyers uni and a black 3rd makes sense

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The alternate uniform can be a fine thing. My only point is that it needs to fit the identity of the hockey team. The Bruins with the bear face rather than spoked hub or the Rangers with the Statue of Liberty head have real value. Calling your building "Blueland" sending your team out in a red uniform is stupid.

There is a reason that the Yankees and Red Sox and Red Wings and Canadiens have such success with their heritage uniforms and a reason why some teams are constantly changing their unis. Usually the team with consistency is the team with a more solid foundation.

I think having an alternate look is great for the Caps. So long as its a primary red or primary white construction. The Caps in black would be....was....a terrible mistake. Where the Hurricanes black uni makes the Hurricane warning flag clearer and so it works there. There is black in the Flyers uni and a black 3rd makes sense
The team is named the Capitals, and they are located in the Capital of a country that has a very iconic Red White and Blue flag. Their primary colors are Red White and Blue.

This jersey just emphasizes the Blue over the Red for the first time. The branding is fine. I promise you this jersey as a 3rd/alternate will not affect it one bit.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm a fan of less is more when it comes to jerseys but these are solid, I think. Wouldn't be pumped if these were their full time sweaters but for a few times a year they hit the mark.

I also wonder what many hockey loyalists would think of the Premier League uniforms. The alternate jerseys are normally pretty random with nothing to do with their team colors. Liverpool are "the Reds" and are known for their all-red uniforms at home and mostly-white uniforms on the road yet this is their "hyper turquoise" kit for 2020 season.

94016117_10158067667886132_7078898435079798784_o.jpg

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm a fan of less is more when it comes to jerseys but these are solid, I think. Wouldn't be pumped if these were their full time sweaters but for a few times a year they hit the mark.

I also wonder what many hockey loyalists would think of the Premier League uniforms. The alternate jerseys are normally pretty random with nothing to do with their team colors. Liverpool are "the Reds" and are known for their all-red uniforms at home and mostly-white uniforms on the road yet this is their "hyper turquoise" kit for 2020 season.

94016117_10158067667886132_7078898435079798784_o.jpg

I love a seasonal 3rd but there’s a massive cost difference in a kit vs a hockey jersey.

I’d be fine if the NHL had each team do a 3rd every year that they wore a 3rd of the time. Then, yes, it’s a thing and you could stray more from the current branding.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
While were at it, let's hope Francais follows the same path as Pinho. I'm not sure why Francais is even on this Caps Message Board Roster. With his posting, he should be on the Kids Chat Roster.

See what I did there Francais. You're not the only one who can play this game too!
Only fools and dead men don’t change their minds. I'am sure, one day you will love my posts.

Let me give you an example. Everyone here hated Panik from his first day. I defended him all the last season against all sofa experts here. And what we see? Everyone love Panik now. People don't use logic then they think, they think with their heart. Then you love player A but GM trade for player B and there is only one place ether for A either for B, you start to hate B. B is better than A and you never seen him play, you will hate B no metter what. But if you have some logic and you ask youself: why GM did that move? You exit illusions and you come to reallity. You see that your beloved player A was not so good and the team needed an upgrade. You stop being a fanboy at this point and you start to be logic. In 2016 we drafter a player using our top pick. After some time staff realised he was a bust and they drafted in 2018 TWO players with their top picks for the same position as the first guy was playing. But illusional sofa fanboys took 24 more months to realise that their beloved player was a bust. They were thinking with their hearts. What they did? They started to look for excuses refusing the logic and the reallity.

If one day some one show me using logic that Eller is a good hockey player, I will admit it. But all people do, they spam emotional posts, they bring photos of Lars scoring The goal etc. It is cute. But it comes from their fanboy hearts, not from logic.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
We're doing this again? What's stopping the Capitals, who broadcast the dates that they're wearing their jerseys, from also pushing a "don't forget to wear blue" marketing campaign?

You know, the same one they had to start when they changed the jerseys back to red in the first place? This isn't as hard as you're making it. Put free t-shirts on all the lower bowl seats with the new W logo on it if you want, now all those people are also advertising the tweak to the brand identity. There, now I've solved the optics issue, what's next?

I don’t care about the marketing or rock the red. Outside of an awful decision by Ted (which was thankfully corrected) we have been red and white. The blue has always been an ascent color. So if you want to use that for a few games then you need to tie the style or logo in to make it a “caps” uniform.

We have a different color with a once used logo and scheme. It’s not ugly, but it’s too far from who we are, I don’t know who that team is.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Only fools and dead men don’t change their minds. I'am sure, one day you will love my posts.

Let me give you an example. Everyone here hated Panik from his first day. I defended him all the last season against all sofa experts here. And what we see? Everyone love Panik now. People don't use logic then they think, they think with their heart. Then you love player A but GM trade for player B and there is only one place ether for A either for B, you start to hate B. B is better than A and you never seen him play, you will hate B no metter what. But if you have some logic and you ask youself: why GM did that move? You exit illusions and you come to reallity. You see that your beloved player A was not so good and the team needed an upgrade. You stop being a fanboy at this point and you start to be logic. In 2016 we drafter a player using our top pick. After some time staff realised he was a bust and they drafted in 2018 TWO players with their top picks for the same position as the first guy was playing. But illusional sofa fanboys took 24 more months to realise that their beloved player was a bust. They were thinking with their hearts. What they did? They started to look for excuses refusing the logic and the reallity.

If one day some one show me using logic that Eller is a good hockey player, I will admit it. But all people do, they spam emotional posts, they bring photos of Lars scoring The goal etc. It is cute. But it comes from their fanboy hearts, not from logic.

Ya that Panik is so hot right now. 1 assist in 6 games.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don’t care about the marketing or rock the red. Outside of an awful decision by Ted (which was thankfully corrected) we have been red and white. The blue has always been an ascent color. So if you want to use that for a few games then you need to tie the style or logo in to make it a “caps” uniform.

We have a different color with a once used logo and scheme. It’s not ugly, but it’s too far from who we are, I don’t know who that team is.
Well then I guess we're really lucky you have a pair of HHOF bound lifer-type players to remind everybody, if all the red white and blue and the stars won't do it. I'll grant you that one isn't playing tonight but Ovechkin is all you need to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad