Post-Game Talk: G7: Trotzs @ not-Rierdens | 1/26/2021 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Islanders GA/game is 1.60. Their goals for is 1.80. Capitals goals for per game is 3.5. 1.8 times 2 is 3.6. So the Caps are scoring while generating nothing twice as many goals per game as the Islanders.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
It’s been a long time since I didn’t feel our roster was superior to the islanders. Expecting an ugly game, but just hoping for one point to meet my 4/8 request while the Russians are out.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I must be in the minority cause I really dig the new 3rds

without getting into it all over, I don’t have a problem with the style or logo. My issue is the color. We aren’t a blue team, so that sweater doesn’t look like a caps team. If it wasn’t for one random winter classic and I saw that at a store I would think that was some made up team or minor league team I’m not familiar with.

Reactions: Calicaps

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Wilson said it was a very strange injury, but I read between the lines and figured out what it was. During the Sabres game, his giant balls rubbed against each other too much, creating sufficient heat as to start nuclear fusion, a small nuclear reactor between his legs, if you will. He just needed to air them out enough to cool off. He'll be fine, no Chernobyl situation here.

Massive balls... must resist gravitational force...

GettyImages-690134200%2Bcopy.jpg

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
without getting into it all over, I don’t have a problem with the style or logo. My issue is the color. We aren’t a blue team, so that sweater doesn’t look like a caps team. If it wasn’t for one random winter classic and I saw that at a store I would think that was some made up team or minor league team I’m not familiar with.
I mean... switching to one of your secondary colors for a 3rd/Alternate jersey is common in the NHL and professional sports in general.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I mean... switching to one of your secondary colors for a 3rd/Alternate jersey is common in the NHL and professional sports in general.

It being common and a choice of common sense are different things. In the case of some teams the primary color is a foundation of the identity of the team. All those people watching the cup win outside the arena were wearing red. The Caps sell themselves as red. Were tonight normal the house would be full of people in red cheering for a team in blue. Further the team in blue is playing a team world famous for their blue uniforms.

If you walked off the street into a full house tonight, the home team among the 2 teams on the ice would not be clear and it should be.

The Broadway Blue Shirts wearing a red uni would be confusing as hell

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
It being common and a choice of common sense are different things. In the case of some teams the primary color is a foundation of the identity of the team. All those people watching the cup win outside the arena were wearing red. The Caps sell themselves as red. Were tonight normal the house would be full of people in red cheering for a team in blue. Further the team in blue is playing a team world famous for their blue uniforms.

If you walked off the street into a full house tonight, the home team among the 2 teams on the ice would not be clear and it should be.

And get off my lawn too! :laugh:

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Rocking the Red is a marketing gimmick that started what around 2007?
Why should the org. or fans be chained to that when the team colors have always been USA's colors of Red White and Blue (until the Blue/Black/Gold era to generate some revenue)

Ain't gonna be nobody in the seats for a long time anyhoo so there's no issue of non-uniformity

If it helps generate revenue for a season that's going to lose a ton, bring it on (plus I look better in blue ;) )

Reactions: Calicaps and HTFN

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Pinho is out of the taxi squad. Replaced by Sgarbossa. Let's hope Eller will follow Pinho in the same exact direction.

While were at it, let's hope Francais follows the same path as Pinho. I'm not sure why Francais is even on this Caps Message Board Roster. With his posting, he should be on the Kids Chat Roster.

See what I did there Francais. You're not the only one who can play this game too!

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

We're doing this again? What's stopping the Capitals, who broadcast the dates that they're wearing their jerseys, from also pushing a "don't forget to wear blue" marketing campaign?

You know, the same one they had to start when they changed the jerseys back to red in the first place? This isn't as hard as you're making it. Put free t-shirts on all the lower bowl seats with the new W logo on it if you want, now all those people are also advertising the tweak to the brand identity. There, now I've solved the optics issue, what's next?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The league is desperate for revenue. I don't like the goofy W but I get the urgency of finding ways to offset the losses. And anyway, they've pivoted largely from the emphasis on red to the "ALLCAPS" campaign, which is absolutely brilliant.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We're doing this again? What's stopping the Capitals, who broadcast the dates that they're wearing their jerseys, from also pushing a "don't forget to wear blue" marketing campaign?

You know, the same one they had to start when they changed the jerseys back to red in the first place? This isn't as hard as you're making it. Put free t-shirts on all the lower bowl seats with the new W logo on it if you want, now all those people are also advertising the tweak to the brand identity. There, now I've solved the optics issue, what's next?

beyond being shamefully transparent to push sales? Lol....

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Nothing is stopping them from doing that except that its bad business. Leonsis has built a successful brand identity. Trying to build that brand identity was in fact the reason they changed back to red.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
beyond being shamefully transparent to push sales? Lol....
You mean exactly like "rock the red" in the Reebok brand switch? It's literally telling you "wear red". That's it. Hey Caps fans, don't forget to Rock the Red when Buffalo comes into town on such and such date. We heard it all the time and it was a direct appeal to put your black and bronze gear down and go buy new red gear so you didn't look like a jackass.

All they did was find a way to say it in a slogan, so do it again. Only you don't need to blitz everyone with it because it's just an alternate jersey, and they're not pushing a full switch. Rock the Red needed to be done to create separation from the black era, but now that distance is fully realized and they can be a red, white, and blue team without immediately calling back to 1998 (especially since the Reverse Retro is already doing something to rebrand that era).

Last edited:

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I just like having more options. We're not a 2 color team like many other teams, we've always been a 3 color team: Red, White & Blue (Gold, Black, Blue). Now there is a jersey for each color, with one being drastically different. People might have polarizing views about the design, but at least its uniquely ours.

And I understand that we are a "red" team, and our primary jerseys are red. But we are no longer in the "Rock the Red" Era. That is an era long gone now.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You mean exactly like "rock the red" in the Reebok brand switch? It's literally telling you "wear red". That's it. Hey Caps fans, don't forget to Rock the Red when Buffalo comes into town on such and such date. We heard it all the time and it was a direct appeal to put your black and bronze gear down and go buy new red gear so you didn't look like a jackass.

All they did was find a way to say it in a slogan, so do it again.

There is a noticeable difference to consumers in a complete rebrand vs a spot alternate sale.

You wanna go complete rebrand, fine, but don’t try some transparent ass marketing move and try to sell it as a brand “tweak” lol....

FWIW I have no problem with this jersey or selling alternates overall.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
and for the record, I think they should have modernized these or given us an away look instead of doing a blue version once I saw them, but it's not because it's a blue version. I just find these preferable, and think having an away alternate in a year you're already doing reverse retro would be nice.
caps-winter-classic-jersey.jpg

Reactions: Leksand and Corby78
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad