GDT: G7 | Minnesota @ Washington | 10/27/23 | 7:00p ET | Monumental Sports Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm fine with the rule. It makes sense to me. But this just seems like they're making the wrong call, even with the power of the replay.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Caps Tank's driver so far

what-huh.gif

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Not sure of the wording of the rule to determine whether Ovie had possession of the puck. It seems to be (now) fairly fine-tuned in football ... Ovie did precede the puck into the zone but he had handled it, albeit somewhat unsmoothly, as he approached the blueline. So the call doesn't make alot sense to me.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Locker - why would Dewar ask for a penalty shot. Dewar is very happy with cancelling out the remainder of the Caps powerplay and then putting Minny on the PP afterwards

Reactions: troyerlaw

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Lazy drop pass by Kuzy to set that up, but that was a weak call on Carlson.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I'm as peeved about losing an Ovechkin tally as anyone but he never got the puck all the way across the plane to break it with anything resembling control, and couldn't control though the zone transition.

It looked iffy at best in real time, I frankly wasn't surprised by this one. To gain the zone the plane is the back side of the line, not the front, and he never really got over it.

Reactions: troyerlaw

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Fix the challenge rule. Here is what I would do:
- strictly enforce the time limit for the team to initiate a challenge. 15 seconds after a goal.
- strictly enforce the time the linesmen can look at replay. If they can’t conclusively tell in 15 seconds, call on ice stands.
- limit the cameras angles available to them.. standard tv camera angles. That way the really bad missed calls can be identified but the small 1 inch plays can’t be conclusive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
- strictly enforce the time limit for the team to initiate a challenge. 15 seconds after a goal.
- strictly enforce the time the linesmen can look at replay. If they can’t conclusively tell in 15 seconds, call on ice stands.
- limit the cameras angles available to them.. standard tv camera angles. That way the really bad missed calls can be identified but the small 1 inch plays can’t be conclusive.

Or, hear me out, get rid of the rule altogether.

If the offside call is close enough to be missed, it's missed, and probably wasn't severe enough to affect the goalscoring chance.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

If the offside call is close enough to be missed, it's missed, and probably wasn't severe enough to affect the goalscoring chance.

If not that, then there’s a set max amount to rewind. Say 7 seconds, something like that. After that, play moves on, a borderline offsides has no impact.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Two things they need to change in the rule. If the puck breaks the blue line plane, then it should be on sides. It's that way keeping the puck in the offensive-zone, so why can't it be that way entering zone as well.

Also, if it's off-sides earlier in the play, if the other team touches or posses the puck, then it should nullify the off-sides.

For the NHL which can really use more goal scoring to sell the sport, they sure picked a rule to mess that up! By the way, who cares if it's off-sides, just dump the rule all together! Most coaches aren't gonna tolerate their players hanging at the other end and cheating, disrupting the coaches system/structure in the process. Leave the blue line in, but don't call off-sides!

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015

Well my suggestion does that. But still allows you to correct the brain fart misses like the duchene call that ultimately created the challenge.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Wasn't the off-sides rule made in the first place because there were NHL teams that had so goal scoring players, that it was too much an advantage? Goal scoring among the league is a lot more balanced these days from best to worst scoring teams. The rule has too much of effect on goal scoring these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad