GDT: G46: MIN @ TBL - 6 PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That's why it's only one game.

Then why bother at all? This is something that gets done mid-game in a line blender (if the coach knew how to turn it on) just to see what happens. Not something you go into the game with.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Then why bother at all? This is something that gets done mid-game in a line blender (if the coach knew how to turn it on) just to see what happens. Not something you go into the game with.
Why bother benching Dumba for 2 games? Why make any changes ever? Because you might get a message across to the guys you shuffle around, and you might also learn something new about your team by mixing things up.

Also, Dean doesn't make in game changes, so you're left with between game changes.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Also, Dean doesn't make in game changes, so you're left with between game changes.

He doesn't make many of those either, which is why I'm just hoping to see Ek with Boldy to start next year.

Reactions: BagHead

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
He doesn't make many of those either, which is why I'm just hoping to see Ek with Boldy to start next year.
You're not wrong!
I also expect Dean to do little if anything.

And this isn't in response to you, but more an addition to my last post:
Let me get this straight, we mostly all want Hartman to sit because he's playing poorly, but Zuccarello has also been playing poorly and we're not wanting to do anything about that, even just a one game message, because it might upset Kaprizov? Ridiculous.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zuccarello doesn't need any message just because he goes a couple of games without scoring points. Go after all the real passengers on this team, Foligno, Greenway, Hartman, Boudreau...the list is long. And Boldy has two goals in 14 games.

Kap & Zucc can't do it alone, the other lines must step up if they want a playoff spot.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Why bother benching Dumba for 2 games? Why make any changes ever? Because you might get a message across to the guys you shuffle around, and you might also learn something new about your team by mixing things up.

Dumba shouldn't have been benched for 2 games.

What message are you trying to send to a team that has limited skill at FWD? Everyone else do better so the best player on the team isn't handcuffed with the pressbox guy before the game even starts.

Dean not being a good coach is a different conversation.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You're not wrong!
I also expect Dean to do little if anything.

And this isn't in response to you, but more an addition to my last post:
Let me get this straight, we mostly all want Hartman to sit because he's playing poorly, but Zuccarello has also been playing poorly and we're not wanting to do anything about that, even just a one game message, because it might upset Kaprizov? Ridiculous.

After last game Hartman deserves a day in the pressbox. It's not just a 1 off bad game, he's been doing lots of dumb things lately.

Except for the 3rd d-pair the rest of the team all had good adv stats and looked good with the eye test.

The 3rd pairing could be rotated in and out. Goli played well when he was in. Merrill hasn't been good. Addison is Addison.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Dumba shouldn't have been benched for 2 games.

What message are you trying to send to a team that has limited skill at FWD? Everyone else do better so the best player on the team isn't handcuffed with the pressbox guy before the game even starts.

Dean not being a good coach is a different conversation.
I agree on Dumba, two games was one game too many. Personally, I think Zuccarello has looked lazy lately (or maybe just tired... dropping him a line would help with that too), and lots of players in our middle six are clearly not playing well enough.

The messages I'd be intending to send are "thanks for being a good soldier Shaw, sorry you had to sit mostly undeservedly", "work harder Zuccarello, skill only matters when it works hard", "good job working hard JEE, here's a game with skilled linemates as a reward", "you've got to be better Foligno (though I'm not sure you can be)" and "if you keep playing stupidly, you're going to sit, Hartman".

Only one game is really needed for all of that, and it'd be stupid to to keep that lineup for more than one game, anyway. I never claimed it was our best lineup, just that it'd be a major single game shakeup and hopefully the team would respond to it. It seems like you think they wouldn't? Correct me if I'm wrong.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I agree on Dumba, two games was one game too many. Personally, I think Zuccarello has looked lazy lately (or maybe just tired... dropping him a line would help with that too), and lots of players in our middle six are clearly not playing well enough.

The messages I'd be intending to send are "thanks for being a good soldier Shaw, sorry you had to sit mostly undeservedly", "work harder Zuccarello, skill only matters when it works hard", "good job working hard JEE, here's a game with skilled linemates as a reward", "you've got to be better Foligno (though I'm not sure you can be)" and "if you keep playing stupidly, you're going to sit, Hartman".

Only one game is really needed for all of that, and it'd be stupid to to keep that lineup for more than one game, anyway. I never claimed it was our best lineup, just that it'd be a major single game shakeup and hopefully the team would respond to it. It seems like you think they wouldn't? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pretty much agree on all of that. Especially the Zuccarello part. Kinda seems like he's taking for granted being stapled to Kaprizov's hip. It seems like most of his turnovers at this point are just from a lack of effort/not moving his feet. He needs a wake up call.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Evason's quote in the most recent Athletic article doesn't exactly give us hope about him switching up the lines any time soon:

Evason said he doesn’t usually like to switch up the lines, preferring to let the players work themselves out of it. “They’re in the arena, they’re the ones out there battling,” Evason said. “If we sense some chemistry issues and you’re not having success, you flip it around a little bit. But, for the most part, we want to stay patient.”

I guess it's nothing new, but imagining him looking at the GREEF line and thinking Foligno+Greenway will just "work themselves out of it" is certainly frustrating.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Evason's quote in the most recent Athletic article doesn't exactly give us hope about him switching up the lines any time soon:

I guess it's nothing new, but imagining him looking at the GREEF line and thinking Foligno+Greenway will just "work themselves out of it" is certainly frustrating.
This just is what Foligno is when he's not shooting 25%.

At 25% he's at 12 goals and 10 assists in 37 games (27g + 22a per 82 games) so far this year. Last year he was 25g + 21a per 82 games. Pretty bang on and would actually be a bit better this year.

At the 8% he's shooting now, it's 9g + 22a per 82 games.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This just is what Foligno is when he's not shooting 25%.

At 25% he's at 12 goals and 10 assists in 37 games (27g + 22a per 82 games) so far this year. Last year he was 25g + 21a per 82 games. Pretty bang on and would actually be a bit better this year.

At the 8% he's shooting now, it's 9g + 22a per 82 games.

I think that's why it's so frustrating. Anyone expecting him to maintain that level of production was out to lunch, so what we're seeing now isn't something he's gonna "work himself out of", it just is what he is. And since that's the case, they need to do something else with that line. It can still be a solid defensive line, but no use wasting your best center on it anymore. But I know you're already on board with that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am fine with Zucc, for the most part. I would think about sitting him, occasionally, mainly because he's getting on in age. Having 3-4 days of rest, instead of 1-2, can make all the difference for any player, but especially an aging one, to survive the season intact.

The difference between him and a guy like Hartman is that we are not seeing any upside with Hartman. The amount of mistakes you will tolerate from a player is directly proportional to the amount of points he gets, or at least the amount of positive things that he does. Zucc is skilled, and smart with the puck. We need at least two more of those guys, not less. Ideally. it would be one to play C on the 1st line, and one to play with Boldy.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Zuccarello doesn't need any message just because he goes a couple of games without scoring points. Go after all the real passengers on this team, Foligno, Greenway, Hartman, Boudreau...the list is long. And Boldy has two goals in 14 games.

Kap & Zucc can't do it alone, the other lines must step up if they want a playoff spot.
Hey, Boudreau was just fired! Give him a break. He'll find his game soon enough.

• Wow
Reactions: 57special and TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad