GDT: G3: Caps @ Senators - 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Slight hyperbole but that's basically what the coach said.

Learning a new system and drilling in new habits are part of it, and if you're not already in peak condition that's going to take longer.

I don’t equate “finding their game” to out of shape…maybe that’s just me. I seriously doubt anyone except dipshit 92 would have the stones (or lack of situational awareness) to come into a camp with a new coach and not be in decent shape.

Rust, new system, just not playing well….sure.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
I didn't expect them to make the playoffs, but man, this team sucks. They should already be rebuilding, but Ovi has them by the balls with the record chase. All he's been doing so far is giving out hits and looks exhausted. They are in a weird spot where there really isn't any young NHL-ready top 6 talent to supplant the vets. Yet, given the lack of production for what they are being paid, you aren't getting much for Backstrom, Oshie, Kuzy, or Mantha in the trade market.

If it keeps going at this rate, at least I'll be able to sit in the VIP seats a lot more going forward lol

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I didn't expect them to make the playoffs, but man, this team sucks. They should already be rebuilding, but Ovi has them by the balls with the record chase. All he's been doing so far is giving out hits and looks exhausted. They are in a weird spot where there really isn't any young NHL-ready top 6 talent to supplant the vets. Yet, given the lack of production for what they are being paid, you aren't getting much for Backstrom, Oshie, Kuzy, or Mantha in the trade market.

If it keeps going at this rate, at least I'll be able to sit in the VIP seats a lot more going forward lol
I worry about his ability to even break the record if this is the team supporting him. Maybe that isn’t fair given it’s been a whopping three games but it’s worrisome.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don’t equate “finding their game” to out of shape…maybe that’s just me. I seriously doubt anyone except dipshit 92 would have the stones (or lack of situational awareness) to come into a camp with a new coach and not be in decent shape.

Rust, new system, just not playing well….sure.

Call it whatever you want. They're not ready for the season and per the coach it's more than usual.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It's not just that the Sens were quicker, generate more pressure, play up-tempo all the time (instead of sporadically), and have 4 lines of energetic, well-conditioned players (while seemingly half our forwards look lethargic and poorly conditioned) - it's the difference between the 2 teams in transitioning from O to D and from D to O. The Sens, like most NHL teams that are successful (or are moving in that direction) transition at a lightning pace - they reverse and head in the other direction seamlessly, like an agile, responsive motor boat changing direction.

The Caps typically transition like a large, belching, bilging ocean liner trying to change direction. Small wonder they get bottled, can't generate speed thru neutral, and can't make effective entries - because the opponent that was temporarily dispossessed has made the transition to D faster than the keeps can transition to a connected, up-tempo (or any kind of tempo) O. We're still on our heels on O, while the opponent is on their toes. And when we have to transition to D, all the things we can't do - exit the zone cleanly, up the pace thru neutral, and enter the attack zone with the opponent backing off - are being done by the opponent, because our transition to D seems to start with some or all the Caps having a moment to say "not again" rather than getting on their horse to get the puck back or at least slow the counter-attack.

It was excruciating to watch one team playing NHL hockey in 2023, while the other team seemed stuck in like the early 90s.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It’s been 3 games. The talk that Ovie is washed is LOL. We have a lot more problems then Ovie right now.

Ovechkin is the team Captain, has the powerplay built entirely around him, accoutns for more than 11% of the salary cap on his own, gets more ice time than any other forward, and has produced 0 shots on goal in the last two games. If Ovechkin sucks, this team will suck, period.

Ovie is this team's biggest problem, bar none, and if he doesn't pop out of this funk, this team is destined for failure.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ovechkin is the team Captain, has the powerplay built entirely around him, accoutns for more than 11% of the salary cap on his own, gets more ice time than any other forward, and has produced 0 shots on goal in the last two games. If Ovechkin sucks, this team will suck, period.

Ovie is this team's biggest problem, bar none, and if he doesn't pop out of this funk, this team is destined for failure.
0 shots is disturbing, but as other posters have pointed out players at age 38 do not have much success on the first line and that’s the coaches problem. Forcing the geriatric line to start the season, we all knew it was doomed the second we saw it.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
The good:

Bäckström still looks like a useful player, and will probably fit well on the third line.

CMM looks like he belongs on that second line.

The bad:

Through 3 games the Caps have hit the post or the crossbar 6 times. The hockey gods hate us.

Everything sucked this game. CMM, Kuzy and Oshie had a nice minute or so of puck possession in the 1st period but after that there was just a bunch of idiotic blind passes and it's evident we don't have the players for those types of plays.

The Oshie penalty that led to the 3-1 goal was weak.

The offside goal was pretty clearly offside.

Zub sure handpassed that puck.

So the refs sucked.

But yeah, the Sens are definitely a team on the rise and are pretty much the polar opposite of the Caps right now with youth, speed, hunger and energy.

Called a brutal loss before the game and i was right. Unfortunately a lot of it had to do with reffing which is never a good thing. The Sens clearly deserved the win though.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
It's GM3 peeeeeeeps
good lawdy, get a grip

The GA w the Sandin over-commit and LuJo no mans land is coachable
The PPGA w/Kuzy not caring is coachable ;)

Will they learn for the next instance? only 1 way to find out

If we still suck this bad come gm8 or gm10 and have a shite record, then we can start having more legit claims of suckitude

3 gms/new coaches/new system = too early for legit drastic conclusions

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
0 shots is disturbing, but as other posters have pointed out players at age 38 do not have much success on the first line and that’s the coaches problem. Forcing the geriatric line to start the season, we all knew it was doomed the second we saw it.
Yeah, we knew the geriatric line was gonna suck. But he's a big part of *why* the geriatric line did suck. Ovie doesn't get a free pass on that one, he was arguably the worst part of that line. Oshie was invisible, but Ovie was actively fumbling pucks away in the offensive zone (in the rare cases they made it that far).

Further still, he wasn't on the geriatric line last night. New line combos, same crappy Ovie. Ovie has also been a big part of why the powerplay looks so dull and lifeless.

It's only been 3 games. But he needs to turn it around, and preferably very soon. It's not out of line to be calling out his listless performance.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
A lot of things are fixable... but the lions share of the salary cap going to old, slow, rapidly declining players, is not fixable within the season. There's no scheme fix for players who aren't very good anymore. The fix for what ails us right now is a 3-5 year plan.

Being in limbo with Ovi's chase and Osh/Backie/JC's contracts, sucks, but it is what it is today.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Call it whatever you want. They're not ready for the season and per the coach it's more than usual.
The number is more than usual is how I took it...that a larger number of guys (than usual) are not on their games early. New coaches, new system, etc...

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Hi guys I want to ask you before making my next main boards thread

It was a for fun idea only , it was gonna be “Ovi to contending team to win another cup”

FOR fun thread, however, if you guys don’t like that, I won’t make it.

I want to have some decency and ask first.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
There was a shot of the bench during the 1st period last night where Coach Carbs and Kuz were talking intently.

Good healthy constructive talk that was being received well?

or

Carbs letting Kuz know what he did wrong and perhaps Kuz pushing back?

IDK but it was nice to see in game talking, people giving a shit at least in that small time period

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish

It was a for fun idea only , it was gonna be “Ovi to contending team to win another cup”

id wait a week or so given the ovi no shots thread currently 1st page.

Mods might not like it and give it the 'Sanderson Norris" treatment.

I cant speak for all Caps fans but Im trying to prepare myself for all the Caps and Ovi bashing that will be coming the next few years.

Lots of people have waited 17 years or so for this 'I told you so" moment to arrive

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
id wait a week or so given the ovi no shots thread currently 1st page.

Mods might not like it and give it the 'Sanderson Norris" treatment.

I cant speak for all Caps fans but Im trying to prepare myself for all the Caps and Ovi bashing that will be coming the next few years.

Lots of people have waited 17 years or so for this 'I told you so" moment to arrive
Sounds good , brother, I’ll wait a bit.

Also yeah it’s sad but true, greatness and excellence brings with it a lot of love and hate

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

If he went to Colorado, or Florida, I wouldn't lose my mind over it. Vegas or TO, I'd have a meltdown. I suppose who is "contending" will be a little surprise come the trade deadline but if the Caps are as bad then as they are now, I'd be fine seeing him moved. He's not winning squat here and his goal chase will still be fun even if he's in another jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad