GDT: G3: Caps @ Senators - 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Re: Ovi's conditioning.

Yes, he eats high calorie food and drinks soda. He has also been one of the most physical players in the league for 15+ years and possibly the least injured superstar ever whilst also scoring at a 50 goal pace as a 37 year old. He's doing something right. Blaming his lack of conditioning seems bisarre in light of this. Claiming he is one of the best conditioned players ever would make more sense. But he is getting very old for a pro athlete.

Now, a hockey game is one hell of a training session. Ovi pairing that with the gym is more than enough to stay in shape. One reason players are injured more these days is that their bodies are rarely afforded rest. And in a game like hockey, having a lb extra fat is hardly a disaster.

So bad conditioning isn't it. He's just a 38 year old dude competing with 20 somethings whilst playing on a crappy team.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Hi guys I want to ask you before making my next main boards thread

It was a for fun idea only , it was gonna be “Ovi to contending team to win another cup”

FOR fun thread, however, if you guys don’t like that, I won’t make it.

I want to have some decency and ask first.
I mean, appreciated thought but there's not really anything fun behind it. Whatever is missing at the moment is not likely just because they aren't a playoff favorite and his heart suddenly isn't in it, and right now Ovechkin threads are attracting the wrong kind of shithead. I don't think he's bailing, nobody really thinks he's bailing, it's just fuel on the fire when the team is off to a bad start and nobody'd love that in the same shoes.

Personally I think when you've got a guy who has spent nearly two decades with one team, a literal living legend, you wait until there's smoke before you post something like that or open it up for every troll and asshole to find a way to make it way more than a "for fun" concept thread.

Reactions: zappa4ever

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Personally I think when you've got a guy who has spent nearly two decades with one team, a literal living legend, you wait until there's smoke before you post something like that or open it up for every troll and asshole to find a way to make it way more than a "for fun" concept thread.
Hey I appreciate your answer and you know I actually agree. Especially with how the main boards has been recently. Lot of threads gone out of control.

I won’t be making the thread.

Reactions: HTFN and PlushMinus

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Man, I've always wanted Ovi to retire a Cap, but if it's truly a win-win to where he's happy and rejuvenated somewhere else making a run for the record and a cup, while we are able to rebuild properly and become legit contenders again, I might be ok with that.

The status quo is just that bad.

Reactions: kicksavedave

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Hey I appreciate your answer and you know I actually agree. Especially with how the main boards has been recently. Lot of threads gone out of control.

I won’t be making the thread.
Like, don't get me wrong, I'm open to the discussion here just because. If the Sharks were better I wouldn't mind if Ovechkin took a year there just because he liked them growing up, there are pictures of him in a Sharks jersey and full circle stuff like that is interesting and cool, but I just know that thread is mixed between "who would even want a washed up clown" and "of course he would bail on his team as soon as they aren't winning regularly, bad captain after all" posts to suit whatever narrative.

People will bring up Ray Bourque, other people will ignore that entirely because "reasons", and it'll just be a shit show.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
We’re already talking about dealing Ovi - after 3 games? Come on people, can we be just a little better? lol.

IIRC, Ovi started really slow last year (~5 games before he scored). He’s been hemmed in his own zone for most of his shifts, and hasn’t found his shot on the PP yet (for whatever reason). Maybe afford him a modicum of patience.

stephenball

Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, I don’t buy that Ovechkin is suddenly useless and his age fell off a cliff. He has been terrible so far, but almost the entire team has been. I just think the older he gets the more time it takes to get that motor going, he’ll get there. I’m not expecting miracles from him, but I still expect 35ish goals. He’ll find a way.

Reactions: SherVaughn30

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Re: Ovi's conditioning.

Yes, he eats high calorie food and drinks soda. He has also been one of the most physical players in the league for 15+ years and possibly the least injured superstar ever whilst also scoring at a 50 goal pace as a 37 year old. He's doing something right. Blaming his lack of conditioning seems bisarre in light of this. Claiming he is one of the best conditioned players ever would make more sense. But he is getting very old for a pro athlete.

Now, a hockey game is one hell of a training session. Ovi pairing that with the gym is more than enough to stay in shape. One reason players are injured more these days is that their bodies are rarely afforded rest. And in a game like hockey, having a lb extra fat is hardly a disaster.

So bad conditioning isn't it. He's just a 38 year old dude competing with 20 somethings whilst playing on a crappy team.
I think this is just completely ridiculous. Like, I don't know in what world you think eating bad food and drinking soda is okay for a professional athlete let alone that doing that made him one of the best conditioned players ever.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Was just more interested in the 'Zards game last night figured I'd record the Caps game and watch it later. Glad I checked the score later to save my time but not watching this one.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Man, I've always wanted Ovi to retire a Cap, but if it's truly a win-win to where he's happy and rejuvenated somewhere else making a run for the record and a cup, while we are able to rebuild properly and become legit contenders again, I might be ok with that.

The status quo is just that bad.

If he gets Hunter’d or Bourque’d doesn’t mean he won’t, or be able to, retire as a cap.

That being said, would still be a bit of a pill shot if that happened.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
If he gets Hunter’d or Bourque’d doesn’t mean he won’t, or be able to, retire as a cap.

It would be a complete f***ing joke and I hope it never happens. I hate it when players go to another team to win a Cup and then sign with their original team for "one day" or whatever so they can retire with that team. It is such a f***ing sell out.

Reactions: swansonsays

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

At that point I wouldn't care. You either play for one team your whole career or you don't.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Or, it’s the GM going to said player and asking them if they want to. Cannot fault a player for doing that, at least I don’t.

What ovechkin has done for this franchise has, pretty much, given him carte blanche in my mind. Unless he went to the penguins, I don’t care how he spends his final weeks as a player.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Or, it’s the GM going to said player and asking them if they want to. Cannot fault a player for doing that, at least I don’t.

What ovechkin has done for this franchise has, pretty much, given him carte blanche in my mind. Unless he went to the penguins, I don’t care how he spends his final weeks as a player.
I'm a Pens fan so I realize how much what I think counts but here goes:

Look at O the same way I do Crosby. Age happens and it's unrealistic to expect these guys to be what they once were. I would hope when each realizes that they are no long big contributors they have the sense to gracefully retire from the team for which they have been the face, and indeed the soul, for many years. Can't picture either playing for another team. Especially as it's not likely they would live up to those other teams' expectations.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: PlushMinus

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I think this is just completely ridiculous. Like, I don't know in what world you think eating bad food and drinking soda is okay for a professional athlete let alone that doing that made him one of the best conditioned players ever.

So how do you explain his extreme longevity, coupled with being that physical whilst almost never being injured? Do you not think he is doing something right in taking care of his body? Or would you rather attribute it to pure luck?

Trust me, the way modern athletes train today is not healthy. No time to heal, constant stress etc. It does give them good performance, but in the long run it evens out through the strain it takes on a human body.

Looks like we will need to call up our Top Prospect Andrew Cristall sooner rather than later

We should also sign Joël Champagne and Cody Glass to form the "Cristall-Glass-Champagne" line.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Could he have been better if he followed some strict diet instead of consuming pizza and soda regularly? Likely (not guaranteed, but likely). He's 9th oldest and 8th heaviest player in the NHL this season, with the league placing a huge emphasis on tempo and fast skating. Better eating habits and losing some weight would definitely help to play against the players young enough to be his children.

But claiming that Ovechkin didn't train for 6 months and only started working out in training camp is completely nuts, contradicts AO's own words about his offseason training and multiple instances when he came to the training camp with a changed physique. Just attributing it to some freakness is lazy IMO.

Reactions: PlushMinus

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Ovi has barely played real hockey for several months, given the time he missed before the regular season ended. I don’t find it surprising he needs a little longer to get going this year.

That said, he doesn’t look like himself, to the point I wonder if there’s something lingering that they don’t want to go public with?

Reactions: Rockingred12

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
He just looks disinterested, as if he knows this is a rebuilding/bottom feeder team despite Ted and the FO promising not to go all in on that route until he retired. And if the team is terrible then good luck getting the record. Man if he leaves it'd be devastating

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Ovi has notoriously not taking care of himself as a top athlete should, this isn't even really a question. For years the joke was he'd show up to camp well overweight because he knew he'd get into shape over the season. The dude still drinks soda on the bench during games. It's a testament to what a freak of nature he is that he's been as good as he's been while not putting his all into conditioning, but he certainly could have been even better if he had hard committed like some of the other freaks around the league.

There's a real world where Ovi just hits a wall. I'm not at that point yet, but I have less confidence he gets close to a PPG if he continues his style and level of current play.
Reminds me of Shaq and how much more of a dominant beast he would've been if he took his diet seriously. Yes he's one of the most dominant to ever play but he could've been even better even longer and his physique/conditioning in Orlando was miles better than LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino