Half-Assed GDT: G3 Blues at Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I liked Upshall but I still think Rattie should be getting the call if Fabbri goes on the IR

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
This might sound out of line, but I'm not worried about if Shattery is out some time if Parayko can play that level wha he has showed these couple games. Jesus we've NHL best top6 pairs what comes RHD's. Pietro, Shattery and Parayko.

I don't think Shattenkirk will be out more than 1 game (IF that). But, after seeing Parayko play with such poise under duress, I think he could handle the pressure and play well. His skating, hockey sense and shot are so good. He's big, and yet mobile.

He's clearly already by FAR the 4th best defenceman on The Blues. They need to get him used to playing on the left side, and into The Top 4 on the 2nd pairing as soon as possible, so he'll be perfectly comfortable there during the playoff stretch and the playoffs.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I liked Upshall but I still think Rattie should be getting the call if Fabbri goes on the IR

Exactly! Rattie into The Top 9, and Upshall taking Ott's place on The 4th Line LW, and Ott relieving Reaves on RW, when Reaves gets tired. Or, when Reaves needs rest, Ott on LW and Upshall on RW. BOTH of them are comfortable on either wing. Neither is really good on The 3rd Line for longer than a game or two (Actually, Upshall would be okay there, but The Blues really need to get a good look at Rattie, and Ott is playing too much for my taste).

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Nice to see a player like Parayko show class and not spew profanity in the post-game interview.

In all seriousness, one of the things most impressive about him is the fact that he doesn't look surprised at all. Score a goal, score another one..."cool, next shift."

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Nice to see a player like Parayko show class and not spew profanity in the post-game interview.

In all seriousness, one of the things most impressive about him is the fact that he doesn't look surprised at all. Score a goal, score another one..."cool, next shift."

It's one of his major flaws - as God, he is unable to ever be surprised.

The Gooch was, and is, and is to come.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Exactly! Rattie into The Top 9, and Upshall taking Ott's place on The 4th Line LW, and Ott relieving Reaves on RW, when Reaves gets tired. Or, when Reaves needs rest, Ott on LW and Upshall on RW. BOTH of them are comfortable on either wing. Neither is really good on The 3rd Line for longer than a game or two (Actually, Upshall would be okay there, but The Blues really need to get a good look at Rattie, and Ott is playing too much for my taste).

I would welcome that 4th line arrangement. Although I do not trust in Hitch's ability to not play Ott

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Does anyone else feel like Reaves looks oddly slow out there? In both foot speed and reaction time? There were several times where a puck was loose and his reaction was so delayed, or out of sync, that he was lunging.

Edmundson made a lot of very smart players tonight. He has some acclimating to do with the speed of the game, but he's very aware of coverage gaps.

Vladdy was fairly aggressive defensively, tonight. He took the initiative and made quite a few smart plays with his stick. For whatever reason, he seems more comfortable being aggressive defensively when the game is wide open. I think that's in part due to his foot speed often finding him to be one of the first men back, but he's very effective 1-1 when engaged.

I'm still extremely nervous about how chaotic we've looked, so far. There are a few anchors that are holding down the fort for everyone else. I'm glad that those anchors are the cornerstones of our future, but there's a big gap, right now. If there is a step 2 in this attempt to become more aggressive, I hope we sync up quickly enough to adopt it without getting burned early.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't think Shattenkirk will be out more than 1 game (IF that). But, after seeing Parayko play with such poise under duress, I think he could handle the pressure and play well. His skating, hockey sense and shot are so good. He's big, and yet mobile.

He's clearly already by FAR the 4th best defenceman on The Blues. They need to get him used to playing on the left side, and into The Top 4 on the 2nd pairing as soon as possible, so he'll be perfectly comfortable there during the playoff stretch and the playoffs.

But how you run 3rd pair? I don't see Bortuzzo that good. I say million times again bring Lindbohm flip Jbo with Parayko, Lindbohm goes with Pietro and Edmu dson with Shattery. TOI difference comes on special icetime PP - PK. Release Shattery from PK and give Lindbohm or Edmundson workhorse icetime PK. Parayko Shattery only PP icetime.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
So glad I was able to see paraykos first 2 goals live. Kids gonna be a stud.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Does anyone else feel like Reaves looks oddly slow out there? In both foot speed and reaction time? There were several times where a puck was loose and his reaction was so delayed, or out of sync, that he was lunging.

Edmundson made a lot of very smart players tonight. He has some acclimating to do with the speed of the game, but he's very aware of coverage gaps.

Vladdy was fairly aggressive defensively, tonight. He took the initiative and made quite a few smart plays with his stick. For whatever reason, he seems more comfortable being aggressive defensively when the game is wide open. I think that's in part due to his foot speed often finding him to be one of the first men back, but he's very effective 1-1 when engaged.

I'm still extremely nervous about how chaotic we've looked, so far. There are a few anchors that are holding down the fort for everyone else. I'm glad that those anchors are the cornerstones of our future, but there's a big gap, right now. If there is a step 2 in this attempt to become more aggressive, I hope we sync up quickly enough to adopt it without getting burned early.
I don't know what the hell is wrong with Reaves but yeah he's not right. I mentioned it in another thread that he's not throwing as many huge hits as he used to, and part of that reason is because he's not even getting to the puck carrier in time to hit them. He doesn't look good.

Tarasenko is definitely on another level from a lot of players on this team. Even Schwartz looks rather mediocre so far.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Colton Parayk-Oh my Golden Goddess Hylia. I think I'm gonna cry, Size and strength of Pronger without the slashing, wrist shot of a sniper, slap shot of Big Al, amazing hockey smarts, and amazing skating skill. After all the Defensemen we've had and faltered, I think we can finally be hopeful again.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
remember Jani Hakanpaa or however you spell it? I thought he was gonna be the big stud D-man with a cannon. Luckily somebody else worked out.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Colton Parayk-Oh my Golden Goddess Hylia. I think I'm gonna cry, Size and strength of Pronger without the slashing, wrist shot of a sniper, slap shot of Big Al, amazing hockey smarts, and amazing skating skill. After all the Defensemen we've had and faltered, I think we can finally be hopeful again.

The Goddess giveth abundantly.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Reaves had that knee injury in camp maybe it's more severe then we thought. Hitch didn't pull any punches when he was talking about Reaves not being up to speed. Sucks too because he's fairly quick.

Ott has been fine on the D side but my god is he alergic to the puck in the O zone...just always out of his reach or in his feet

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Reaves had that knee injury in camp maybe it's more severe then we thought. Hitch didn't pull any punches when he was talking about Reaves not being up to speed. Sucks too because he's fairly quick.

Ott has been fine on the D side but my god is he alergic to the puck in the O zone...just always out of his reach or in his feet

I've noticed that a lot of our players seem slow/slower. A lot of sticks are being used to reach, rather than keeping the legs moving (penalties galore).

It even looks like we're underestimating the speed of our opponents, and not moving our feet at the first sign of them approaching. Whether it's on defense and the guy with the puck manages to get around the defenders, or on the forecheck and we're not hustling for pucks in the corners, we're just getting out worked in the legs.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I kind like Schwartz - Lehterä duo. Jorsti does look decent in this game and isn't gas of after 15 sec, hope he can gain some durability. Forget that its either Fabbri or Jaskin, doest hurt 2nd line, but Jaskin in with Backes hurts. I think Schwartz - Lehterä - Rattie would work perfectly, last season there was chemistry between Lehterä - Rattie. When they played coiple times together.

I think Lehtera will have chemistry with whoever he plays with, because he's so smart player.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Pie having a terrible game.

Noticed that too. Took it to his side several times. Backed in right on top of the goalie. JBo and him need to make some adjustments. Way too much offensive traffic in the prime shooting lanes on top of Elliott being left unguarded for a shot. It's early in the season and Calgary really collapsed on the crease taking the play to the middle. For Parayko and Edmundson, that was an advantage. That is more their game. May need to switch pairings around next time they play. No room for our figure skating couple to do their thing against Calgary....

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
One thing I noticed and liked was the confidence that coaching staff had in Parayko last night. He was slow to move the puck and Gaudreau stripped him of it and Flames almost scored and then probably a minute later St Louis got a PP and they threw Parayko right back out there and he scored. The fact that he was played right after that mishap speaks volumes in their confidence with Parayko and I guarantee that went a very long way in Parayko's mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad