GDT: G15 | Columbus @ Washington | 11/18/23 | 7:30p ET | MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
While im very happy to see our ”kids” playing great when given opportunity, i also think it has done them good and is big part of their current progress to be cooking in Hershey.

We can have it both ways :)

Its just one game though, and from what ive seen i have no problem cooking Lappy a bit more in the great developemental environment in Hershey. They are currently cooking winners there! No need to rush the kids when they are making so good progress in Hershey.

More common sense….

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I've been high on Jimi since his draft day. But seriously, he was a healthy scratch for like 4 straight and only drew in because Kuzy was sick. He had a great night for sure, and I'm stoked for his future.

But he'd been a ghost in all his prior NHL appearances this year. I totally hope this is legitimately his breakout, but let's not get carried away here or pretend he's been an unjustly scratched difference-maker before now.

Consistency at the top level is hard. Let's see if he's got more than one strong performance in him first.
He's been eased in, like most rookies are here. It's not like he has been terrible so far. He walked into a pretty poor situation as Dowd was out and we didn't have 'match-up' center at all taking the garbage minutes.

I'd say this is the right way to go about it. But the route for him to take a regular spot is there for the taking. But like you said he needs to work on his consistency. That being said, it's still the same thing Strome and McMichael are both working on too and it’s a boat that Kuznetsov missed already with his career. The fact that Lapierre has been invisible while playing 5-7 minutes a night isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's learning minutes and very little time to make an actual impact. It's different than with Kuznetsov for example who goes invisible (or shows up in a bad way) while playing 22 minutes and playing 80% of the PP minutes. The bar isn't sky high as is.

Reactions: Calicaps

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Capitals record with and without Nicklas Backstrom:

Last 82 games:
With: 35-39-8 = 78 points (.476 pts%)
Without: 44-24-14 = 102 points (.622 pts%)

Last 100 games:
With: 44-47-9 = 97 points (.485 pts%)
Without: 55-29-16 = 126 points (.630 pts%)

Either way, that subject i've discussed enough already. Good win again. 3rd line was brilliant. Carlson with a terrible giveaway to keep the game close but they hold on to the lead well. Lindgren looks like he's on a mission to take over as a starter.
Man, I was thinking last night about doing this exact thing, going back and looking at their record over the past 2 or 3 years with/without Backstrom, because I knew there was a strong correlation there. Tough to see.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Man, I was thinking last night about doing this exact thing, going back and looking at their record over the past 2 or 3 years with/without Backstrom, because I knew there was a strong correlation there. Tough to see.
Glad he finally threw up and gave it up. I’m his biggest fan but it’s time for the youth.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No, you're right we're really good
You got me. I’ve been saying all along that they are Pres Trophy type team. Always. Very vocal on that.

Come on man, do better.

They are a decent team that is playing well for each other. Different pieces are stepping up, and they are responding well to Carberry’s system. Or so it seems.

However let’s continue to tear them apart with each post, about how bad they are supposed to be.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I agree. We are not being propped up by a good PP, would much rather win games this way.

Our vets need these kids, period.

Let’s see Jimi on PP1. He has the best hands of all of our current centers.
This. I remember in past years the PP and shooting percentage were largely responsible for our early success. There wasn't a whole lot more to sharpen up. This year doing this with a crap PP to this point is very encouraging.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
You got me. I’ve been saying all along that they are Pres Trophy type team. Always. Very vocal on that.

Come on man, do better.

They are a decent team that is playing well for each other. Different pieces are stepping up, and they are responding well to Carberry’s system. Or so it seems.

However let’s continue to tear them apart with each post, about how bad they are supposed to be.
I'm going to try to reign in the negativity a bit. That's not why I'm here.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I'm going to try to reign in the negativity a bit. That's not why I'm here.

FWIW, I’m also in “wait and see mode” to figure out who this team is. One complaint during the poor start was that I didn’t know what the team’s identity is, and I still don’t. A lot of that has to do with a new system and shifting personnel, but it will be interesting to see whether we look back on this stretch as the canary in the coal mine or a mirage.

Reactions: bacchist

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I’m expecting a loss.

Simply too many moving pieces this game, the Caps record without the Hockey Jockey in the lineup is absolutely atrocious, and I fully expect Mantha to screw everything up.
Very happy to be wrong. Was the “reverse jinx”….yeah, that’s it. That’s what it was.

0-3 in predictions the last 3 games!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
He's almost 22 and he's played all of 11 games. How much slower could it possibly get?
Recall also that he missed significant development time due to prolonged injury and COVID. A lot of the current crop of young guys, leaguewide, not just with the Caps, may be a bit delayed because of the pandemic. It's entirely to be expected.

And on a related note: Can we talk for a moment about the Caps' savvy drafting of these "woulda-been-a-top-10-pick-if-not-for..." kids, namely Lappy and Miro? The scouting staff and GMBM deserve huge kudos, IMO. After picking in the 20s mostly for ages, they did the due diligence on these "compromised" players, swung for the fences to get high-end talent with later picks, and then had patience to help these young men recover that lost development. It's starting to pay dividends. Smart, aggressive drafting.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Recall also that he missed significant development time due to prolonged injury and COVID. A lot of the current crop of young guys, leaguewide, not just with the Caps, may be a bit delayed because of the pandemic. It's entirely to be expected.

And on a related note: Can we talk for a moment about the Caps' savvy drafting of these "woulda-been-a-top-10-pick-if-not-for..." kids, namely Lappy and Miro? The scouting staff and GMBM deserve huge kudos, IMO. After picking in the 20s mostly for ages, they did the due diligence on these "compromised" players, swung for the fences to get high-end talent with later picks, and then had patience to help these young men recover that lost development. It's starting to pay dividends. Smart, aggressive drafting.

They’ve done it a lot lately, picking the ”fallers” and choosing upside over certainty. With later picks aswell.

Its a clear turnover in their strategy, they had couple years that they were taking the ”sure picks” and bloodlines like Johansen, Clark, Sutter etc.

Reactions: HTFN and Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They’ve done it a lot lately, picking the ”fallers” and choosing upside over certainty. With later picks aswell.

Its a clear turnover in their strategy, they had couple years that they were taking the ”sure picks” and bloodlines like Johansen, Clark, Sutter etc.
I'm loving it. It's almost like... and hear me out here... there's an organizational plan for the future. 😉

Reactions: HTFN

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Part of that was probably due to Carbery having the balls to cut his minutes. Not that Backstrom is any kind of diva but that couldn’t have been a super easy decision for a young, first-time Head Coach.

This. And if we fans can see how a player still getting minutes that hurt the team, then of course the players can too. Imagine drawing into the line with the boat anchor on it, how that makes a player feel? (no disrespect to Nicky, but thats what he was lately).

When the coach is willing to make the tough calls that help the team, well, it .. um, helps the team. Point is, it helps them in more ways than one. It instills confidence in the leadership. The young players getting real chance is only helping them grow. Confidence is infectious.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Lapierre had a great game but I think it’s better for his development playing more in the AHL this year.

If Kuzy was gone this would be a different story but he won’t be.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Results oriented. Finally gets the center a line with some decent wings, gets three points.

Why wouldn’t he stay?

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
What does the current version of Kuznetsov provide over Lapierre? We are 15 games into the season and he has looked about the same as he did last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad