GDT: G15 | Columbus @ Washington | 11/18/23 | 7:30p ET | MSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Kuzy is probably the biggest thing holding this team back. He has played the most minutes of all forwards, but he's been totally ineffective, made a bunch of bonehead plays, and bad penalties.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Kuzy is probably the biggest thing holding this team back. He has played the most minutes of all forwards, but he's been totally ineffective, made a bunch of bonehead plays, and bad penalties.
It’s been discussed a lot here but their biggest issues heading into this season were 19, 92, 77, and 39 — in that order. The 19 problem has solved itself and 39 is playing good hockey. If they can solve their 92 problem they’re sitting pretty.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
It’s been discussed a lot here but their biggest issues heading into this season were 19, 92, 77, and 39 — in that order. The 19 problem has solved itself and 39 is playing good hockey. If they can solve their 92 problem they’re sitting pretty.
My point is it makes no sense for him to have the most minutes, even after missing last night. I don't know if Carbery was trying to draw something out of him, or what. But it ain't working.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My point is it makes no sense for him to have the most minutes, even after missing last night. I don't know if Carbery was trying to draw something out of him, or what. But it ain't working.
Yeah you’re not wrong. I think Carberry is really trying to show faith in Kuzy and get him engaged. He’s doing everything he can to get him going — 1C, PP1, PK, giving him a lot of responsibility in every situation in all three zones, trusting him with important faceoffs. Carberry is pushing every button he can and at some point they just have to accept that Kuzy isn’t and won’t be the same player he once was.

Reactions: bacchist

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Supposing Kuznetsov is healthy next game who even comes out?

I mean I have my choices: Kuznetsov himself or Oshie. But that isn't happening. Kind of doubt they take any of the 4th liners out. Lapierre isn't coming out next game. Protas just had a 3 point game. Milano has been good.

I guess that means it's Mantha or McMichael coming out next game, both who have both been very good this year. But at some point a veteran has to sit.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I mean I have my choices: Kuznetsov himself or Oshie. But that isn't happening. Kind of doubt they take any of the 4th liners out. Lapierre isn't coming out next game. Protas just had a 3 point game. Milano has been good.

I guess that means it's Mantha or McMichael coming out next game, both who have both been very good this year. But at some point a veteran has to sit.
Carberry has been vocally supportive of both Mantha and McMichael. Said last night he thought Mantha was very good. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it was Oshie, or if Kuznetsov’s “illness” lingers a little longer than anticipated.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Carberry has been vocally supportive of both Mantha and McMichael. Said last night he thought Mantha was very good. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked if it was Oshie, or if Kuznetsov’s “illness” lingers a little longer than anticipated.

I hope you're right because there is such a gulf between the performances of Oshie/Kuznetsov and Mantha/McMichael that favoring the former two over the latter can't be justified. If it was close then sure, go with the vets.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

I'd be fine with either Kuzy or Oshie sitting. Or better yet, both of them and bring on 8-17-45.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
At this point, I’m wondering if Oshie will be able to play out his contract on the ice. Whatever that looks like - scratched, or LTIR. Have no idea if his back is still bothering him, but he just looks lost out there. Strange to see him have no idea what to do with the puck, and be a non-factor in the bumper on the PP.

And pulling that carrying the puck on his stick thing in NJ kinda felt like he’s just trying random sh*t out there for yucks, lol.

He’s still good for a few effort plays a game, and have to imagine if he gets set up with some time and space, he’ll pot some eventually. But man, does he look cooked - and I take no pleasure in saying that.

At least Carbs has shown he won’t just stay with vet guys based on reputation and tenure.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
At least Carbs has shown he won’t just stay with vet guys based on reputation and tenure.

Has he? Evgeny Kuznetsov leads the NHL in TOI by a forward and he's arguably Washington's...16th best forward?

I just don't have confidence he'll scratch a core veteran until I actually see it, which is why I'm still banking on McMichael or probably Mantha eating the scratch if Kuznetsov is good to go next game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Has he? Evgeny Kuznetsov leads the NHL in TOI by a forward and he's arguably Washington's...16th best forward?

I just don't have confidence he'll scratch a core veteran until I actually see it, which is why I'm still banking on McMichael or probably Mantha eating the scratch if Kuznetsov is good to go next game.

I think they’re trying to showcase him in all situations, see if they can get a bump in his performance to hopefully move him….

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think they’re trying to showcase him in all situations, see if they can get a bump in his performance to hopefully move him….

It's too late for that. His reputation around the league is in the toilet and teams can read the stat line.

At some point you just have to scratch him so the team has a better shot of winning games.

Reactions: Misery74

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

I just don't have confidence he'll scratch a core veteran until I actually see it.
Well he moved Nick to the 3rd line and onto PP2 (the latter being more significant). He has demoted Oshie to PP2, and was moved down to the 3rd line before yesterday.

But, sure, a healthy scratch would be a different level than just the demotions we’ve seen. With Kuzy, he seems to be giving him every chance to get it going. FWIW, he’s not being the lazy, no effort guy this year. Of course, even engaged he’s still his dumb, low hockey IQ self, lol.

But, it seems Carbs thinks he needs some version of Kuzy, athletically. I mean, they literally can’t gain the zone on the PP if Kuzy is out (and still struggle even with him). We still don’t have someone else that can carry the mail like him (esp with no Mojo this year).

Also, if you sit Kuzy, is the solution really Lappy at 3C? Just because he had one good game? I could maybe see Protas in that spot, but I’d be skeptical.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's too late for that. His reputation around the league is in the toilet and teams can read the stat line.

At some point you just have to scratch him so the team has a better shot of winning games.
If you play him maybe he shows better is what I’m saying, maybe they’ve got a trade partner or two who are like, “let’s see how he plays the first 20” …or maybe it’s a desperate last move to do anything to get him to buy in more….

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010

My guess is that Carberry thinks he can get Kuzy playing the way he is capable of playing. Part of giving him all those minutes is to say hey I believe in you and trust you so go out there and show it to me. And if Kuzy doesn't improve his play there is gonna come a time where Carbery is going to say enough is enough.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
8-17-45
39-24-43
15-29-21
47-26-96

I think this would be the lineup I go with. I don't like Wilson and Ovechkin together. They aren't complementary players at all: both are triggermen with very few possession elements to their game, and both have defensive deficiencies. Both also have significantly better metrics apart than together over the past 3 years.

I think two defensively responsible possession players playing on the same lines as Ovechkin and Wilson is probably the way to go.

I'd keep the bottom 6 together for now given their recent play.

My guess is that Carberry thinks he can get Kuzy playing the way he is capable of playing. Part of giving him all those minutes is to say hey I believe in you and trust you so go out there and show it to me. And if Kuzy doesn't improve his play there is gonna come a time where Carbery is going to say enough is enough.

That's a fine thought to start the season but it's been 13 games and the trend line isn't great. At some point it's time to pull the plug.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'd be fine with either Kuzy or Oshie sitting. Or better yet, both of them and bring on 8-17-45.
LOL. You are the crown prince of Hockey Jockey fandom! I don’t agree, but I do applaud your need to support him. That’s very cool.

I’ve done it myself, so I get it (most recently with HHA, but not quite as vociferously as you have w HJ45)

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

It’s hard to “not fracture” a locker room. Many good coaches have done it. Created the fracture.

They are winning. Which means there really ain’t a good reason to torpedo — well — anything?

Reactions: RedRocking

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
I’m rolling with this against Buffalo:

8-29-43
92-17-39
21-24-15
47-26-77

96 deserves to play, but let’s see what Oshie looks like on the 4th.

Phillips to Hershey. He’s sort of the size of an Oompa Loompa.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s not “I believe in you and trust you”, it’s more “we need you and I‘m going to give you every opportunity to play all situations, because we both know you can play like a great player”…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad