GDT: G1: Wild @ Preds 7pm CT (NBCSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StanleyCup55

Feb 21, 2019
Minnesota
Staal and Parise will be fine gotta give it a little time to gel with Zman but Koivu should be on the 3rd line - don't care how long he's been on the team. Get Kunin up there with Fiala and Zucker and let Kunin play with those young boys and have a chance to develop into something...

Parise-Staal-Zucs
Zucker-Kunin-Fiala
Greenway-Koivu-Donato
Foligno-Ek-Hartman

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Outhustled or just plain slow? It's amazing how the script has been flipped the last 3-4 years. The Wild have gone from being one of the faster, aggressive skating teams to outclassed.

They couldn't complete any passes, even the few good tape to tape passes seemed to be bobbled. The few times the passing was crisp they looked plenty fast.

NSH came out of the locker room with more energy every period. Part of that is it being their home opener, but the Wild didn't have much push back to slow the momentum.

Reactions: Bazeek

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
What an unbearable f***ing broadcast. NBCSN catering cart was nothing but kool-aid soaked Keith Urban pancakes.

Is it possible to see Donato and not think that Arya Stark banged Dustin from Stranger Things? I argue that it is not.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's a weird game. We were thoroughly outclassed through 2 periods and had a 1 goal lead. We were the better team in the 3rd by a fairly large margin and got outscored 3-0 (before the EN). Just weird.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see any of Donato, Fiala, or Zucker doing well with Foligno/JEE. Zucker would probably be the best option of those 3. I think Greenway or Hartman would be the best options there.

If Staal keeps playing like he did last night, does it really matter who's on his line?
Foligno and Eriksson Ek get whoever's left. Worrying about finding a perfect fit for those 2 would be the last thing to consider

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Staal and Parise will be fine gotta give it a little time to gel with Zman but Koivu should be on the 3rd line - don't care how long he's been on the team. Get Kunin up there with Fiala and Zucker and let Kunin play with those young boys and have a chance to develop into something...

Parise-Staal-Zucs
Zucker-Kunin-Fiala
Greenway-Koivu-Donato
Foligno-Ek-Hartman
Staal and Parise have never been good together.

Kunin was the worst player in a Wild sweater last night

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
WTH has Kunin done to supplant Koivu? At this point he is nothing more than a bottom six mediocrity, though he is hardly the only one amongst the Young (pop)Guns.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I keep the Koivu line together, they were by far our best last night.

I go Parise/Kunin/Greenway. Parise and Greenway just want to grind a long the boards anyways. Let them do it together.

Donato/Staal/Zucc. At least one set of young legs with the two older guys. Two guys with good shots for Zuccarello to try and set up.

Folingo/JEE/Hartman. 4th line players playing on the 4th line.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I keep the Koivu line together, they were by far our best last night.

I go Parise/Kunin/Greenway. Parise and Greenway just want to grind a long the boards anyways. Let them do it together.

Donato/Staal/Zucc. At least one set of young legs with the two older guys. Two guys with good shots for Zuccarello to try and set up.

Folingo/JEE/Hartman. 4th line players playing on the 4th line.
I'd be cool with it.

I also think that Hartman needs to be considered with the Donato, Kunin, Greenway, Ek group. I've seen enough from him to think that he's more than just a 4th liner

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd be cool with it.

I also think that Hartman needs to be considered with the Donato, Kunin, Greenway, Ek group. I've seen enough from him to think that he's more than just a 4th liner

Yeah. Could swap Greenway and Hartman or something. Give that Folingo/JEE/Greenway line that was apparently pretty good in the preseason a go at it.

StanleyCup55

Feb 21, 2019
Minnesota
WTH has Kunin done to supplant Koivu? At this point he is nothing more than a bottom six mediocrity, though he is hardly the only one amongst the Young (pop)Guns.

See that's the whole problem right there, asking what he's done. It would probably elevate his game if he played alongside better talent plus who knows how the other two would feed off him in game situations. Lines need a better balance and the only way to do that is to give the younger guys a chance.

If Koivu or Staal were traded to a playoff team they would be 3rd liners at best. WE NEED TO DEVELOP OUR YOUNG TALENT! sorry to yell but no one seems to understand this.

Reactions: Aceofspades

Aceofspades

Mar 24, 2017
Finland
See that's the whole problem right there, asking what he's done. It would probably elevate his game if he played alongside better talent plus who knows how the other two would feed off him in game situations. Lines need a better balance and the only way to do that is to give the younger guys a chance.

If Koivu or Staal were traded to a playoff team they would be 3rd liners at best. WE NEED TO DEVELOP OUR YOUNG TALENT! sorry to yell but no one seems to understand this.

I am pretty sure all positions are open to taking under Guerin and Bruce, but they have to be earned, I dont think Kunin would have it any other way either.
Koivu is playing his last season most likely, we can expect him to be a man on a mission.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, Kunin has shown next to nothing at this level of the scoring talent that he had at Wisconsin. Like at any other job, you need to earn promotion, not have it given to you.

Backup quarterbacks are always the most popular guys...till they play.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They couldn't complete any passes, even the few good tape to tape passes seemed to be bobbled. The few times the passing was crisp they looked plenty fast.

Rinse and repeat every year. Minnesota has always struggled with passing, it's the same every year because they don't have any elite talent.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Kunin was the worst player on his line, but it's the wingers that are holding him back? Center's hard; it's not going to get any easier playing with Fiala/Zucker/Zuccarello against harder match-ups.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Moving JEE up the lineup won't do any good until he gets good at the basic things, it's been tried the last 2 seasons. He doesn't process the game fast enough to play with "skill" players. The only player he has had any success with is Foligno. That line plays a simple game, and it'll force JEE to be more active in the o-zone, because they do get their scoring chances.

They are trying to develop Donato, Kunin, and Greenway together. This could be rather easily be our future 2nd line.

Fiala needs to develop some sort of defensive game and understand the risk/reward plays better. Playing with Koivu is the best place to do that. Zucker (for now) gives him an outlet for passes as a skill player. He also has 200 NHL games under his belt.

Remember BB is the coach. He mixes up the lines all the time during games. If one line, or player is playing strong they'll get moved into a "better" spot. He also runs the lines pretty equal until the last 10 mins of the game.

Make the kids (and vets) earn their spots in the lineup. They will get their chances.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Rinse and repeat every year. Minnesota has always struggled with passing, it's the same every year because they don't have any elite talent.

You don't need elite talent to be a good passing team. This is basic hockey things they couldn't do as a team. Elite talent would mask it a little for that line, but for the other 3 lines the flaws would still show.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I dont understand the noone deserves 2nd or 3rd line c over Koivu hes slow and only jumps in on plays when hes needed to grind the boards, otherwise he dumps and floats high and consistently doesnt find open areas.

If anyone should be grinding along the boards and being hard to play against with foligno and hartman, it should be koivu. Would be one of if not the toughest line to play in the league.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There's nothing wrong with asking Kunin to be a good 3rd line center before handing him the 2nd line center spot. Same thing as with Eriksson Ek the last couple years.

Reactions: 2Pair

P10p

May 15, 2012
Why the hell are we not putting greenway with jee and foligno? That line was dominant as a FOURTH line in preseason. Preseason noted, but still. Give it a try. Greenway plays bigger when he has help out there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Why the hell are we not putting greenway with jee and foligno? That line was dominant as a FOURTH line in preseason. Preseason noted, but still. Give it a try. Greenway plays bigger when he has help out there.
Because we don't want all of our young guys to develop into 4th liners?

P10p

May 15, 2012
Because we don't want all of our young guys to develop into 4th liners?

So it doesnt matter if it is a dominant line? The fact that I called it a 4th line is what sticks out? If I call it the 3rd line will your panties unbunch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad