GDT: G1: Wild @ Preds 7pm CT (NBCSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Did you think he played well?

I didn't think he separated himself out negatively from any of the other ones. He and Brodin were on for 2, Suter/Dumba were on for 2. Suter/Dumba got absolutely demolished in the shot metrics, especially Suter.

I think I can probably count on Jason Pierre-Paul's hand the number of Wild players that I would consider to have played well.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
-Dumba picked up right where he left off

Dislikes:
-young forwards collectively showed little offensively
-Seeler
-Dubnyk let in a softy
-outhustled almost the entire night

One game overreaction:
Byfield+Kaprizov would be pretty sweet. If we fall into the 5-10 range of the draft, Dylan Holloway is absolute stud with tons of speed.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Parise just not caring about following his man on 4-2 still makes me angry.

That prick is supposed to be good playing defence.

Come Bruce. Give me Jason on the left of Staal and Zuccs against Avs.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Dumba looked good last night. Hoping for a healthy season for him

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The defense looked good and Dubnyk looked good enough. Of the forwards I thought Zucker and Fiala stood out, Greenway and Zuccarello were pretty good, and the 4th line generally seemed to do its job. The "1st line" got their **** caved in.

No slight to Koivu, but it's gonna be a rough year if he's our best center.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the 3rd smashville goal doobs should have stopped. zucker ; fiala & donato were buzzing around pretty good too bad zucker didn't score on his breakaway. i thought we looked very good in the 2nd period not sure why we let smashville take over the 3rd.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Staal and Parise are going to play like that, might as well put Zucc with Kunin and Donato; they will at least shoot the puck.

Reactions: a79krgm

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
-Dumba picked up right where he left off

Dislikes:
-young forwards collectively showed little offensively
-Seeler
-Dubnyk let in a softy
-outhustled almost the entire night

One game overreaction:
Byfield+Kaprizov would be pretty sweet. If we fall into the 5-10 range of the draft, Dylan Holloway is absolute stud with tons of speed.

I would add a few more

-2nd period effort
-JEE line

Dislikes:
-Staal and Parise
-No puck control

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would pair Zuccarello with Staal
Greenway with Koivu
Parise with Kunin
Foligno with Eriksson Ek
Take Zucker, Fiala, Donato, and Hartman and move them around the 4 lines until you find a couple that you like.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I would pair Zuccarello with Staal
Greenway with Koivu
Parise with Kunin
Foligno with Eriksson Ek
Take Zucker, Fiala, Donato, and Hartman and move them around the 4 lines until you find a couple that you like.

I don't see any of Donato, Fiala, or Zucker doing well with Foligno/JEE. Zucker would probably be the best option of those 3. I think Greenway or Hartman would be the best options there.

If Staal keeps playing like he did last night, does it really matter who's on his line?

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I saw the highlights and that is all I saw, but...it looks like the Mild got a straight @SS whoopin' last night. Ugh.

That was not a good look last night. Not a good way to start season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, it's a tough place to start a season. I'll bite my tongue till we get a few games(Deja vu, said the same thing last year) in, but I will be less patient than last year. The kids are all a year older, and it's about time they started pulling their weight.

Dubnyk was ok. Let in maybe one softie, but also made a spectacular save on Granny all alone. This loss is not on him. They Wild were outplayed for 70% of the game.

Would've been nice if Kunin's shot had gone in, or Zucker had converted on those two chances.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Zucker-Koivu-Zuccarello...try this on the top line.

Koivu has been good, and he wins most of his face offs. Staal was down to 36% last night, that won't work.

An option with more speed in the middle would be Kunin, who had 4 shots on goal last night.

But most important, get Parise off the lizard's back, right now Parise is dead weight.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Zucker Staal Zucc
Parise Kunin Fiala
Greenway Ek Donato
Foligno Koivu Hartman

Is the answer imo.

You're either putting the best center (or 2nd best if Staal decides to show up) on the 4th line, or Foligno/Hartman will be playing way too many minutes.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, our centers are in worse shape than I thought if this is what Staal's going to look like until late October, or whenever it is that he usually gets up to speed. Going by pre-season and Game 1, Koivu's easily the best of the bunch.

They start this season with a lot of games on the road and against division rivals. I wonder how patient Guerin's going to be if they start digging themselves an early hole.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I thought Staal got off to a fast start in his first two seasons here? I remember him winning BB's skating test, and getting multiple breakaways. Last night, I just saw him fall down.

He's a guy who doesn't look that impressive even when he has a goal and an assist, but he sure looks old. More so than Mikko. He has played more games, so maybe there just isn't any tread on the tire. He has played 100 m0re games than Suter, 200 more than Koivu, and 230 odd more than Parise. It's not going to get better for those three either, which makes the lack of talent up front even more concerning.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Did Zucc mostly with Brassard/Zibby, or did he play with Stepan as his center in NY?

Yeah Brassard had a lot of success with Zuccarello. But he faded away when he was traded to Ottawa for Zibanejad, who became Zuccarello's new center.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah Brassard had a lot of success with Zuccarello. But he faded away when he was traded to Ottawa for Zibanejad, who became Zuccarello's new center.

I was hoping that he had success with Stepan as his center and you were basing the lines off of that.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Outhustled or just plain slow? It's amazing how the script has been flipped the last 3-4 years. The Wild have gone from being one of the faster, aggressive skating teams to outclassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad