G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The goals he let in were exactly what this game was for for him - lessons. He will have realized there is an another level and he has a lot of ground to cover before he can get overconfident. The shots in the KHL are no shots from juniors or VHL he is used to.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Him and the Devils seem like a very good match to me, the team needs a franchise goalie badly (I don’t think Blackwood has that high of a ceiling), and they just drafted two 1st overall Forwards.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Him and the Devils seem like a very good match to me, the team needs a franchise goalie badly (I don’t think Blackwood has that high of a ceiling), and they just drafted two 1st overall Forwards.

Interesting. Let's say the top 5 picks go in standings order:

1. Detroit
2. Los Angeles
3. New Jersey
4. Ottawa
5. Minnesota

My guesses would be:

1. Detroit - Lafrenierre
2. Los Angeles - Byfield
3. New Jersey - Raymond
4. Ottawa - Lapierre
5. Minnesota - Askarov

It would be hard to pass up Laf, Byfield and Raymond in the top 3, I think. If Jersey moves down to 4 or 5 I could see it.

When I look at those bottom 10 teams right now in the NHL, only Chicago, Anaheim and New York aren't desperate for a goalie.

They also need a top pair defenseman.

Doesn't seem like a great draft for defencemen when looking at the top 5-10 guys. Not sure I would risk reaching in this class.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Do goalies buck the BPA philosophy? As in, say hypothetically PHI, FLA, DAL, VAN, NYI, NYR, BUF, CBJ or any other teams that have a young franchise goaltender in place come up around the #5 spot, do they pass on Askarov even if he is consensus top 5?

Is this especially so in a deep draft when excellent skaters are available beyond #5?

If this is true is it possible that Askarov falls to 7-10 or even beyond if the right teams are lined up from 5 to say 9?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting. Let's say the top 5 picks go in standings order:

1. Detroit
2. Los Angeles
3. New Jersey
4. Ottawa
5. Minnesota

My guesses would be:

1. Detroit - Lafrenierre
2. Los Angeles - Byfield
3. New Jersey - Raymond
4. Ottawa - Lapierre
5. Minnesota - Askarov

It would be hard to pass up Laf, Byfield and Raymond in the top 3, I think. If Jersey moves down to 4 or 5 I could see it.

When I look at those bottom 10 teams right now in the NHL, only Chicago, Anaheim and New York aren't desperate for a goalie.

Doesn't seem like a great draft for defencemen when looking at the top 5-10 guys. Not sure I would risk reaching in this class.

Lapierre at #4 OA huh?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I don’t think it’s bad for defensemen. Drysdale should be pretty good, Poirier is an option, maybe someone like Barron or Wallinder could be options, if they have strong endings to the season. There’s a lot of depth towards the latter part of the first in defensemen with other players such as O’Rourke, Sanderson, Niemela.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don’t think it’s bad for defensemen. Drysdale should be pretty good, Poirier is an option, maybe someone like Barron or Wallinder could be options, if they have strong endings to the season. There’s a lot of depth towards the latter part of the first in defensemen with other players such as O’Rourke, Sanderson, Niemela.
I specifically referred to the top 5-10 and Drysdale is the only guy from those options I would expect to go in that range.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Do goalies buck the BPA philosophy? As in, say hypothetically PHI, FLA, DAL, VAN, NYI, NYR, BUF, CBJ or any other teams that have a young franchise goaltender in place come up around the #5 spot, do they pass on Askarov even if he is consensus top 5?

Is this especially so in a deep draft when excellent skaters are available beyond #5?

If this is true is it possible that Askarov falls to 7-10 or even beyond if the right teams are lined up from 5 to say 9?

Um, which of these teams have "franchise" goalies exactly? I don't think the present-day NHL has a single franchise goalie in it. Maybe Carter Hart could be it. Maybe.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Um, which of these teams have "franchise" goalies exactly? I don't think the present-day NHL has a single franchise goalie in it. Maybe Carter Hart could be it. Maybe.

Fair enough, franchise was a strong word (although you could argue that Knight is rising with more hype than Hart, but not proven yet, agreed).

The question / point is obvious though. For teams that are well supplied in net, are they more likely to pass on a goalie that may be the BPA than they would a skater? And is this compounded considering the strength of this year's draft as well as the fact that goalies are considered higher risk picks to begin with?

For example, if you are one of the teams I listed and you come up at 5, why would you take Askarov and not the next best ranked skater?

I think no matter how high Askarov climbs a certain set of teams could find themselves stacked up in his range and forego the BPA philosophy in which case he will drop, possibly outside the top ten.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I think no matter how high Askarov climbs a certain set of teams could find themselves stacked up in his range and forego the BPA philosophy in which case he will drop, possibly outside the top ten.

Goalies are a crapshoot. On the other hand, we're way overdue to see a truly franchise goalie enter this league. It's been a while. Could change everything.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
His butterfly style scares me a bit. He gets beat up high a lot. Who was the last real butterfly goalie in the nhl? Hiller?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Going to be a top 5 pick for sure. I think Lafreniere, Byfield and Raymond go 1-2-3 then Asarov could go anywhere after that.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017

I admittedly know nothing about Askarov. There are goalies that can play out like that and look great and goalies that play out like that and get burned frequently.

I watched this and immediately thought Petr Mrazek. He was a boss at doing this until he was playing against NHL talent.

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
Why is everyone so hesitant to offer a goalie a 8+ mil dollar contract, but not scared to draft a goalie in the top 5? It’s way too risky for me, especially the butterfly playing style of Askarov.

Reactions: 13 others

Weast

May 16, 2011
I feel like teams wont have the balls to draft this guy. He's easily a top 5 talent but I can see him slipping to around 10

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A Leaf fan can dream
Sens getting him with San Jose's first is more likely than with theirs. No one in their right mind takes Lapierre over Rossi or Dreisdale just based on the CHL alone. Would take Stutzle, Holtz, Lundell and Askarov all ahead of him too. If Raymond isnt there at 4 they will certainly be taking one of those players over Lapierre. No question.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Going to be a top 5 pick for sure. I think Lafreniere, Byfield and Raymond go 1-2-3 then Asarov could go anywhere after that.

Some goalies will be hitting UFA to fill that need for teams. Lehner, Holtby, Markstrom, Greiss are scheduled to be UFA. Even Crawford and Howard.

Look at the bottom 7-8 teams.

Detroit and NJ need talent at F and D.
LA, ANA, SJ (owned by Ott). Ana has Gibson. LA needs talent, so does Ottawa.
Chi, Ott, NYR - NYR has goalies in the 23-25 age range who appear that they are capable of taking over for Lundqvist. Chicago, Lehner is putting up good numbers so far. If he continues, expect them to extend him, thus take a skater. Ottawa, they took a G in round 2 in 2019 draft. Will they come around for a goalie in round 1?

Columbus - I think replacing the talent up front that left is more vital to them. They can put in bids to secure a UFA goalie.

For Asarov, I think he goes outside the top 5. If someone in the top 5 likes him, they probably try to trade down a bit to acquire another pick if they feel confident that they can get him later.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad