G Yaroslav Askarov - SKA-Neva St.Petersburg, VHL (2020, 11th, NSH)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler81

Oct 14, 2017
Jack Campbell, Chet Pickard, Riku Helenius, Marek Schwartz, Dan Blackburn. All drafted after 2000 and all drafted before the #19 pick which Vasilevsky was. That's a quite big portion of busts on goalies who have gone in the top 20 in the last 19 years.

I can’t speak for the other goalies but Dan Blackburn is a bad example. He showed great skills until he was injured and that wrecked his career.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Do the Habs or Lightning regret it? Drafting Askarov early is not like drafting Zach Fucale early.

Exactly. Anyone who stat watched Fucale and thought he was going to be a good goalie was out to lunch. He was insulated by an incredible team that padded his stats.

Askarov is an incredible goalie terrific athleticism and likely a future star in the NHL. Hes well worthy of a top 10 pick this year

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Let him drop to NJs second first. NJ has made the mistake of overrating WJC with Ari Ahonen.
Being realistic about the teams who are currently in the bottom of the standings along with the skater talent available early, I don’t see him getting taken that high. That’s not an indictment on his talent, just his position.

Campbell was the highest selected goalie to go off the board in the last decade back in 2010. And he had big hype. Price was the last goalie to go top 5 in 2005.

Over the past few years the top rated goalies, we’ve gotten like 1 in round 1. Knight went 13th to Fla in 2019
Lindbom went in round 2 in 2018.
Ottinger went around 26 to Dal in 2017.
Hart went in round 2 in 2016.
Samsonov went around 21 to Washington in 2015.
Mac Donald went in round 2 in 2014.
Fucale went in round 2 in 2013.
Vasilevskiy and subban went 19/24 in 2012.
Hellberg/Gibson went 38/39 in round 2 in 2011.
Campbell/Visentin Went at 11/27 in 2010.

Between development time in the CHL, NCAA, Europe, and then onto the AHL generally looking at around 4 years post draft with Hart defying those expectations.

kid has the talent to warrant a high selection but the needs for skaters by teams at the top of the draft likely drop him down a bit. Still see him taken before we hit the playoff teams though, similar to Knight.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jack Campbell, Chet Pickard, Riku Helenius, Marek Schwartz, Dan Blackburn. All drafted after 2000 and all drafted before the #19 pick which Vasilevsky was. That's a quite big portion of busts on goalies who have gone in the top 20 in the last 19 years.

You didn’t answer my question. I didn’t ask which goalies have been picked before the 19th pick.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He looked really small, I dunno with the talent on the board I just dont see him as a top 10 pick. Too much risk.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Do the Habs or Lightning regret it? Drafting Askarov early is not like drafting Zach Fucale early.
TB - no as there's clearly no one better after the #19 pick from 2012 (which 7 years later has been a pretty weak draft aside from the few very good Dmen picked in the top 10). Best guys taken after him are Parayko/Slavin who went in rounds 3-4.
MTL - Kopitar is that big talented C that the Habs have coveted for a very long time.

I think in today's NHL, teams would pick a Kopitar talent ahead of a Price talent.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
TB - no as there's clearly no one better after the #19 pick from 2012 (which 7 years later has been a pretty weak draft aside from the few very good Dmen picked in the top 10). Best guys taken after him are Parayko/Slavin who went in rounds 3-4.
MTL - Kopitar is that big talented C that the Habs have coveted for a very long time.

I think in today's NHL, teams would pick a Kopitar talent ahead of a Price talent.

I’d agree, but I don’t think teams regret a draft choice if there’s a slightly better option they could’ve taken. You can’t make these judgements with hindsight. If with foresight your judgement was pretty close to exactly the right one, I think that’s a good pick.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’d agree, but I don’t think teams regret a draft choice if there’s a slightly better option they could’ve taken. You can’t make these judgements with hindsight. If with foresight your judgement was pretty close to exactly the right one, I think that’s a good pick.
Given what is available in this year's draft in terms of skaters in the top 10, I would expect him to fall a bit to around where Knight was selected. Too many teams at the bottom of the standings at the moment require skater talent more than G talent.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
This board: "He's so good he could be a top 5 pick."

Askarov: has a bad game

This board: "Yea looking at the stats I always saw warning signs of him not being worth the hype and I always knew he was overrated."

I posted in August...
Askarov plays on stacked Russia teams which always helps too. Very talented but hype is a bit over the top on him...

and I stand by comments today.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I posted in August...
Askarov plays on stacked Russia teams which always helps too. Very talented but hype is a bit over the top on him...

and I stand by comments today.
You were wrong then, you are wrong now.

Especially that beaten to death "stacked team" story is "humangous big" of you. It's false both ways. For once when you guys turn on Askarov Team Russia is somehow a stacked team. The same Team Russia you would claim to be inferior any other time. And then what does a stacked tem has to do with anything? Askarov was never lauded for his stat lines, but for his actual game. He was often enough the sole reason those russian teams won games. And if you watched the games you'd know his brilliance in goal had nothing to do with the team in front of him. Those were his key saves, his calmness in goal and his alone ability to suffocate an otherwise potent offence of the other team.

People jumping on one mediocre game by a double underager at the WJC are just nuts or just silly haters.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
You were wrong then, you are wrong now.

Especially that beaten to death "stacked team" story is "humangous big" of you. It's false both ways. For once when you guys turn on Askarov Team Russia is somehow a stacked team. The same Team Russia you would claim to be inferior any other time. And then what does a stacked tem has to do with anything? Askarov was never lauded for his stat lines, but for his actual game. He was often enough the sole reason those russian teams won games. And if you watched the games you'd know his brilliance in goal had nothing to do with the team in front of him. Those were his key saves, his calmness in goal and his alone ability to suffocate an otherwise potent offence of the other team.

People jumping on one mediocre game by a double underager at the WJC are just nuts or just silly haters.

sorry I don’t get emotionally involved in players I just evaluate them. Time will tell.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Reminds me of a young MAF. I think he will be good, but he should not be playing in this tournament. He will sink a great russian team.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Knight and Askarov are two of the best goalie prospects to come out in the past...years. At whichever point Askarov is picked in this draft that team will be very happy!

5 medals in the past year and counting...
2.38GAA and .921% playing against grown men in VHL...not junior hockey.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad