G Veini Vehviläinen - JYP/Sport, Liiga (2015 undrafted)

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
All the talk of Hart, Gustavsson, Parsons, Fitzpatrick and Sawchenko, this is the guy I want. Unbelievable how no team took a flyer on him in the 7th last year. I hope the Leafs get him in the 3rd-4th round :)

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
All the talk of Hart, Gustavsson, Parsons, Fitzpatrick and Sawchenko, this is the guy I want. Unbelievable how no team took a flyer on him in the 7th last year. I hope the Leafs get him in the 3rd-4th round :)
Atm he hasn't shown that he can carry a team bu there's something in him that gets him to the position to prove himself
Eg. was starting goaltender, lost it, got it back in the playoffs and ultimately lost it completely in the 2nd round (Didn't play a game)
Also WJC this year showed that he can be really shaky at times.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

He failed in both WJC's and FEL playoffs where he was given the starting spot. Not really worth a draft pick at this point.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
He played amazing tournament last year at the U18's and was a big reason Finland fought for the Gold medal. His numbers this year from Liiga are actually pretty good, not the playoffs though. I thought after the U18's year ago that he's gonna be a great goalie but the WJC's let me down big time. If Finland had not changed him for Kähkönen in 1/4 finals against Canada, Finland would've gone nowhere near the golden medal.

I would've thought they'd draft him last years draft by that great U18 performance but it wasn't enough clearly. If he had performed better in the WJC's this year I think he'd have good chances for being drafted. But it's nothing for a team to use their 6-7th pick in him. Okay it would be something if there was another Datsyuk type of late rounder and you take this guy before him.

Wouldn't be considering my 3-4 rounder for him tho.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Talented kid who will probably have a decent career in Europe at the very least, but the mental side could clearly use some work. Low-risk pick for the latter rounds.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He had a good regular season but he just can't handle pressure (WJC and Liiga playoffs).

Not really surprised that no one took him.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Nod. It was obvious after WJC that there's no need to draft Veini, either he gets his mental game together, then gets contract when 24 or whatever - or he spends his career in Europe.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Nod. It was obvious after WJC that there's no need to draft Veini, either he gets his mental game together, then gets contract when 24 or whatever - or he spends his career in Europe.

He's also a fairly small goaltender by today's standards, and not supremely athletic or lightning quick laterally.

There's always opportunity for these guys though, to continue to hone their craft in Europe and if their play eventually warrants serious attention, they'll get a shot somewhere.

I've never really understood the shock at him being passed over tbh. Just not a lot there right now that shouts "must have" about his game.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
I've never really understood the shock at him being passed over tbh. Just not a lot there right now that shouts "must have" about his game.

I don't think anybody really watched him enough in 2014-2015. He was outstanding in the WJC U18's and put up decent numbers in Mestis so everyone kinda assumed he was better than he actually was.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
I think talent is there, but his mental side this year wasn't good enough. In my opinion he would have been perfect draftee for 6th to 7th round.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Got his first win in his first game with the new team, after being loaned to Sport for the rest of the season.

The last 12 months have been rough on him, going from having a good first half of the season 2015-16 with JYP, to crumbling under the pressure at the 2016 WJCs, then a very average end to the regular season and poor playoffs, tough first half of the season 2016-17 for both Veini & JYP, okay-ish 2017 WJCs and now going to a different Liiga team. Change of scenery could be a blessing in disguise.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Was pretty sceptical after his move to Kärpät was announced but man, he has been fantastic so far. Only 3 games but still 3 wins and 1,33GAA 95,45%. Seems to have stolen the #1 spot from Rynnäs already.

Working out with Hilli during the summer has really done wonders to him. His side-to-side movement looks good and has not given up any soft goals like he used to.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Not slowing down it seem. Looks completely different than he used to with letting weak goals every game.

After 14 games he is now 12-0-2 with 94,12%, 1,52GAA and 4 shutouts. Has started 6 in row and stolen the #1 spot from Rynnäs completely.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I never understood why the Ducks passed on him while drafting Metcalf.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Wonder if he gets a look from an NHL team? If he has those aspirations.

NHL teams are obviously keeping an eye on Veini. He was always a promising goalie prospect, just because he was not drafted does not mean that he is on no ones scouting list. I believe he will go to the NHL maybe next year or the year after. Could be a solid back up or atleast an AHL goalie.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad