G Veini Vehviläinen - JYP/Sport, Liiga (2015 undrafted)

Eyelanders

Jan 9, 2011
I've seen him once this year, looked very calm in the crease, highly mobile and showed excellent technqiue for such a young goalie. Really liked what I saw, made some key saves and flashed a quick glover, too.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Played for Finland at Ivan Hlinka Tournament and has split season between A Juniors (U20) and Mestis. Highly-regarded entering season - has been a bit up-and-down for him so far this year. Candidate to play for U18 team in World Juniors.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He was superb against Team USA today. One of the better goalie performances I've seen in a long time. Almost single-handily won gold for Team Finland. Finland just churns out goalies.

Last edited:

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Kähkönen went on 4th round last year, after being terrible for most of the year.

Vehviläinen has already played in in men's league for a large part of the season and having this kinda tournament in top of that. Late 2nd?

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I considered him to be 4th round before the U18 WJC with outside chance to be drafted already in 3rd round. So 3rd round sounds about right after stellar tournament in Switzerland.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
He played very well. His puck reads and lateral movements seemed to be dialed in. With the player crop/goalies in this draft I still wouldn't use a 3rd rounder on him; I'd be happy to take him in the 4th if he was still available but I could see scouts falling in love with him if they'd only seen him a few times.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I thought it was borderline whether he even gets drafted before U18 WC. Now thinking 5-6 might be realistic. His biggest problem IMO is inconsistency.

Consistency comes with age, that's why I could understand if goalies were drafted at age 23 for example. Any goalie at 17 years old will be looking to hit his peak in a decade or more. It's likely he'll be traded several times before that, so I wouldn't worry too much whether a goalie gets drafted or not.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Has he been invited to any camps?

Nevermind, I see he's attending the Ducks one.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It was so dumb that no one bothered to take him in the later rounds of the draft.

That's not matter Vehviläinen visited, this summer in Anaheim Ducks prospects summer camp.
So he's got attention in NHL.

I'm sure that if/when Vehviläinen, will be one of the best goalies upcoming world juniors in Helsinki.
Some NHL team will pick him next summer.

Example HIFK goalie Ville Husso didn't get picked 2013 NHL draft.
But year later in 2014 NHL draft, St Louis Blues picked Husso in 4th round.

Why not, same can't happen for Veini Vehviläinen.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
That's not matter Vehviläinen visited, this summer in Anaheim Ducks prospects summer camp.
So he's got attention in NHL.

I'm sure that if/when Vehviläinen, will be one of the best goalies upcoming world juniors in Helsinki.
Some NHL team will pick him next summer.

Example HIFK goalie Ville Husso didn't get picked 2013 NHL draft.
But year later in 2014 NHL draft, St Louis Blues picked Husso in 4th round.

Why not, same can't happen for Veini Vehviläinen.

I think he meant more from the NHL team's point of view. Someone could have used 4-7th round pick last draft but now has to use 2-4 round pick. Bad asset management.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
It was so dumb that no one bothered to take him in the later rounds of the draft.

Especially when there was 24 other goalies picked, half of them are way worse than Vehviläinen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad