G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Saved his best big game junior performance for the last one.

Knight is the best American goalie prospect I can remember over the years. This guy has been consistent as they come. Really well-rounded goalie. Does everything well. No real weaknesses.

He had a few weaker performances in prior years in some big games, but he saved his best for last.

This guy is going to be a top-flight goalie in the NHL. Mark it down.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
A lot of the best American goalies / goalie prospects over the last 15 years have been late bloomers, so when I first heard about Knight when he was like 13/14, I was interested to see how he'd pan out. Thus far, it's going better than expected. His tournament performance was overrated until tonight, but that was what Knight looks like when he's on his game.

Reactions: violaswallet

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Saved his best big game junior performance for the last one.

Knight is the best American goalie prospect I can remember over the years. This guy has been consistent as they come. Really well-rounded goalie. Does everything well. No real weaknesses.

He had a few weaker performances in prior years in some big games, but he saved his best for last.

This guy is going to be a top-flight goalie in the NHL. Mark it down.

Puck handling is the only glaring one. Everything else looks really calm, cool and collected

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Puck handling is the only glaring one. Everything else looks really calm, cool and collected
He had a bad game handling the puck against Russia in the first game, but it is not a weakness. Many scouts have lauded his puck-handling and they've been watching him play since he was 15. There are many references to this online, but here's one in a feature by Fluto Shinzawa of The Athletic.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.16.22.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 10.16.22.png
    58 KB · Views: 7

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
From what I heard from the USA coach he's going to stick with the original plan and play Wolf in this game and come back with Knight for the tough games.
... dumb move. I put it on par with Dave Tippet continually wanting to play Mike Smith AND going out re-signing for another year to give him another chance at redemption.
The USA will probably win this game but they're not going to win many more with Knight as their #1 goalie... his flaws are being exposed against this level of competition.

Enjoy watching another team win a gold medal. This is a very short tournament where a couple of losses can really put the team behind the eight ball... particularly with regards to who you have to face in the crossover quarter finals. Do you really want to play Canada in the quarter finals? Its not like the teams USA plays in the round robin are all easy wins.
And after all.. Team USA doesn't exactly have someone like Mike Smith as a backup goalie and all you can do is pray your #1 gets his shit together before its too late.

This has aged very well. That's why you always make as many bold statements as you possibly can after one game.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He had a bad game handling the puck against Russia in the first game, but it is not a weakness. Many scouts have lauded his puck-handling and they've been watching him play since he was 15. There are many references to this online, but here's one in a feature by Fluto Shinzawa of The Athletic.

Have seen the scouting reports.
Some say his weakness is playing too deep in crease, some say his focus when not under attack for long periods of time.

Maybe glaring was over reaching/wrong word, should have said sometimes he gets too confident with the puck but not too worried about it, have seen him do well in that area other times and sometimes called a 3rd defenseman with the puck.

I love him as FLAs future #1. the main strengths are the most important in my opinion, his size, positioning and lateral movement.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Thought he was outstanding in the gold medal game. Absolutely rock solid and remained calm in the chaotic 3rd period. Florida has a good one on the way.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Have seen the scouting reports.
Some say his weakness is playing too deep in crease, some say his focus when not under attack for long periods of time.

Maybe glaring was over reaching/wrong word, should have said sometimes he gets too confident with the puck but not too worried about it, have seen him do well in that area other times and sometimes called a 3rd defenseman with the puck.

I love him as FLAs future #1. the main strengths are the most important in my opinion, his size, positioning and lateral movement.

You can say this of every goalie, I think. He definitely plays a different style, so when he plays well, it's not flashy. He'll iron out the inconsistencies. I don't know of any 19yo goalie that doesn't have any.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
You can say this of every goalie, I think. He definitely plays a different style, so when he plays well, it's not flashy. He'll iron out the inconsistencies. I don't know of any 19yo goalie that doesn't have any.

I think that's the point, you have to nitpick Knight to find any big issues.
Which is crazy for a 19 year old.
I'm happy he isnt flashy, his calm demeanor/style is a treat to watch.
Almost robotic in his movements.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
The last two years of Bob's contract are cheap to buy out. Panthers can definitely get rid of him if they want to.

I hope that when the Panthers GM calls him into his office to announce the buyout, he just throws the paperwork at him and shouts "YOU'RE OFF THE CASE, BOBROVSKY!".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad