G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Gives up a goal on his very first shot due to defensive break down but then stone walls the lightning the rest of the game.

I know its just one game and that I was hesitant in the past to throw him right into the NHL but man the kid is impressive. He has everything you want in a #1 goalie. Askarov has gotten way more hype than this kid.
First of all, Askarov deserves the hype. He's an excellent goalie with a great track record in international play and in the KHL as a young goalie.

That said, I think one reason that Knight doesn't get as much hype as Askarov is his style of play. Knight prides himself on positional play while Askarov is known for having Gumby-like flexibility and making incredible saves.

Knight doesn't just let pucks hit him, he has great hockey sense, puck-tracking, and athleticism that allow him to be in the right position to make a high-percentage save. He has the athleticism to make a highlight-reel save, but in an interview with Fluto Shinzawa of The Athletic, he has said that if he has to do that, he has more than likely made a mistake leading up to it.

“I can make some sprawling saves,” Knight said. “But you’re not going to be able to do that on a consistent basis. You’re not going to be able to rely just on luck. When you find ways that are consistent and are proven that they work more often, you feel more comfortable.”

Here's another snippet from the same interview.
Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 09.31.22.png

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
First of all, Askarov deserves the hype. He's an excellent goalie with a great track record in international play and in the KHL as a young goalie.

That said, I think one reason that Knight doesn't get as much hype as Askarov is his style of play. Knight prides himself on positional play while Askarov is known for having Gumby-like flexibility and making incredible saves.

Knight doesn't just let pucks hit him, he has great hockey sense, puck-tracking, and athleticism that allow him to be in the right position to make a high-percentage save. He has the athleticism to make a highlight-reel save, but in an interview with Fluto Shinzawa of The Athletic, he has said that if he has to do that, he has more than likely made a mistake leading up to it.

“I can make some sprawling saves,” Knight said. “But you’re not going to be able to do that on a consistent basis. You’re not going to be able to rely just on luck. When you find ways that are consistent and are proven that they work more often, you feel more comfortable.”

Here's another snippet from the same interview.
View attachment 439234

Interesting that you posted this because from my viewing of him it looks like he really makes an effort to absorb the shot and not give up rebounds. Maybe that's his strategy and if so, I wonder if the Lightning picked up on it too in video study and start shooting low on his pads next game to try to get rebound chances.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Oh man, as a Tampa fan I'm impressed by this guy. Panthers got a good'n, as volatile as goaltending is he should be able to join the Hellebuyck/Vasilevskiy/Gibson group imo.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
When does he takes the rein as the starting goalie in Florida? I know Bobrovsky came back strong to start the season but he had a save percentage under 90% in 5 of his last 6 games, also allowed 4 goals in half of these game. Seems to me like they should give more work to Spencer Knight.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
When does he takes the rein as the starting goalie in Florida? I know Bobrovsky came back strong to start the season but he had a save percentage under 90% in 5 of his last 6 games, also allowed 4 goals in half of these game. Seems to me like they should give more work to Spencer Knight.
Pretty sure Knight has been leaky his last few games. However he is young and will get his stride in no time. He had a ridiculous undefeated streak that was never going to be sustained.

Reactions: De Montreal

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Those 6 games coincided with Florida losing Barkov to injury, and now Duclair and Forsling. Florida is still getting by now, but they are not playing as well defensively and are giving up more goals. Knight has been a victim of this as well. Bob is still the team MVP to date. Spencer is doing well for a 20 year old goalie, but he's not ready to take the reigns yet. All that talk is premature.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Don't expect Knight to be the starting goaltender anytime soon, especially since Knight has had quite a few subpar games recently as well. At best it'll be a 60/40 split between Bob/Knight this year. Depending on how this year goes, it'll prob go down to 55/45 next year, then maybe in his 3rd year he'll get a chance to take over the Florida net. Even Price and Vasilvesky weren't starting yet.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Need a status update on Knight: when will he make it back to the league? Just meh in the A statistically, though I know it'll take him awhile to be back to 100% after everything he's been through.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Need a status update on Knight: when will he make it back to the league? Just meh in the A statistically, though I know it'll take him awhile to be back to 100% after everything he's been through.
I wouldn't expect Knight back in the NHL this season unless Bobrovsky gets injured. He is right where he belongs right now and that is getting seasoning in the AHL. As long as Bobrovsky is making big coin and delivering decent goaltending, Knight should be getting No. 1 minutes in the AHL. If he starts playing lights out in the AHL, he might force a promotion, but until at least one of these conditions is met,don't expect a return.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I wouldn't expect Knight back in the NHL this season unless Bobrovsky gets injured. He is right where he belongs right now and that is getting seasoning in the AHL. As long as Bobrovsky is making big coin and delivering decent goaltending, Knight should be getting No. 1 minutes in the AHL. If he starts playing lights out in the AHL, he might force a promotion, but until at least one of these conditions is met,don't expect a return.

That's not the reason. It's waiver eligibility. If Knight plays in 21 NHL games then he's no longer waiver exempt. That's why it makes no sense for Florida to promote Knight for as long as they're getting somewhat acceptable goaltending from elsewhere. They'd be losing roster flexibility. They'd no longer be able to send Knight down, could no longer carry 2 other NHL goalies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig Ludwig

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
That's not the reason. It's waiver eligibility. If Knight plays in 21 NHL games then he's no longer waiver eligible. That's why it makes no sense for Florida to promote Knight for as long as they're getting somewhat acceptable goaltending from elsewhere. They'd be losing roster flexibility. They'd no longer be able to send Knight down, could no longer carry 2 other NHL goalies.
What's not the reason for what? And do you mean "waiver exempt" -- as in they can't send him back down to the minors without putting him on waivers?

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
0.899 SV% in the A. Not great
Don't think Charlotte is particularly easy to play behind. Also, he's getting the W's which is what matters in the end.
Furthermore, he has very little left to prove. It's just about getting back to the level he once had. He'll have one more year in the minors in case he needs it. Just give him time to overcome what he went through.

Reactions: Peasy

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wow I completely forgot about Spencer Knight... Obviously I knew he went thru some personal stuff a while back but I literally haven't heard a peep about him and totally forgot he even existed pretty much lol... hopefully things can get rolling for him at the NHL level again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad