G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Bump

why is no one talking about this kid? Perhaps I missed if somewhere?

great start stats wise, for those that have watched him, let’s hear your thoughts please.

he is the #1 goalie prospect in the world, isn’t he?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Bump

great start stats wise, for those that have watched him, let’s hear your thoughts please.

People moved onto the new shiny toy that is Askarov.

Probably not getting talked about a lot because realistically he won't really be starting a lot of games for Florida for a couple more seasons.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Bump

People like to complain. Nothing to complain or argue over Knight. Kid is a stud and nobody can argue that. Kid will win a few Vezina’s in the future.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
People moved onto the new shiny toy that is Askarov.

Probably not getting talked about a lot because realistically he won't really be starting a lot of games for Florida for a couple more seasons.
I think he’s going to split starts next year tbh.

Florida doesn’t have the money to pay Driedger with how well he’s played this year. No team is going to spend close to 15 million on goalies at this period in the league.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

Florida doesn’t have the money to pay Driedger with how well he’s played this year. No team is going to spend close to 15 million on goalies at this period in the league.
Pretty unconventional for a goalie to go from NCAA straight to splitting starts in the NHL.

Im a huge Knight fan, but no need to rush him. Give him starting time in the AHL first before making him a back up in the NHL.

However if it turns out they desperately need a goalie during next season then things could change.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Bump

He's looked fantastic for Florida.

He's basically the complete opposite of Bob. He stands tall in the net. Handles rebounds well (for a 20yo). He is almost always square with the puck. He isn't frantic.

It's quite enjoyable to watch.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Pretty unconventional for a goalie to go from NCAA straight to splitting starts in the NHL.

Im a huge Knight fan, but no need to rush him. Give him starting time in the AHL first before making him a back up in the NHL.

However if it turns out they desperately need a goalie during next season then things could change.
Driedger is as good as gone. They'll need someone else besides Bob. What if Bob continues to be mediocre at best? Maybe Knight takes over as soon as next year?

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017

There’s no doubt the Panthers Wish they could do that with Knight.

I just don’t think they’re going to have another option but to go with him. There’s not another great option in the pipeline and they’re in a cup window, and they’re out of cap space. You’re not getting a decent #2 for the league minimum in free agency. He kinda has to play.

There’s a reason he was sent straight to the NHL this season. They’re getting him ready, ASAP.

Last edited:

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Driedger is as good as gone. They'll need someone else besides Bob. What if Bob continues to be mediocre at best? Maybe Knight takes over as soon as next year?

Knight is going to be the starter down there sooner than most people think. He’s that good.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
And Florida will have a $10 million backup goalie?
You need to look at it more like Knight and Bob combine for 11 million cap hit. Could pretend they both make 5.5. Doesn’t matter. It will matter when Knight is due a raise. But maybe they can find a taker for Bob with retention. Or buy him out. Who knows. Maybe he gets injured like Hossa.

Reactions: Rob and 42

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Bump

Plays in Florida + he wasn't expected to play the last 3 games he did.

He's looked good for his age for Florida: needs to work on rebound control. Defense hasn't been great. He hasn't left in many bad goals and can come up with a big save.

He has given up leads in third last two periods, but usually due to bad defense.

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That’s what I’m afraid of.

Knight is a franchise goalie prospect and should definitely be a starter in the AHL, but with everything this year could very well end up being a backup in the NHL.

Rather them be patient with him and let him dominate a lower level and get as many reps as possible.

As said above he’s a franchise prospect and his development is extremely important for Florida.

Adding a Price(I believe his draft comp?) on top of Barkov/Ekblad/Bennett/Huberdeau/Lundell would be major

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I questioned the Bob signing as soon as it happened (really short sighted move) because I've always been a fan of Knight. Weird signing a goalie to such a massive contract right after drafting a potential franchise goalie.

Didn't think the moves would look this bad not even two years later... I thought it would happen further on in like year 5 or so lol.

But its also important to keep expectations in check. I mean look at Carter Hart. People were anointing this kid as a top 10 goalie in the league and has just had a horrendous season. Matt Murray is another goalie that had success at a young age but is now struggling. Steve Mason is another from the past.

Reactions: nergish

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Gives up a goal on his very first shot due to defensive break down but then stone walls the lightning the rest of the game.

I know its just one game and that I was hesitant in the past to throw him right into the NHL but man the kid is impressive. He has everything you want in a #1 goalie. Askarov has gotten way more hype than this kid.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
If he can keep his momentum going through early next year and is somewhat splitting starts, I'd love to see him as the 3rd goalie at the Olympics. 3rd goalie hopefully never plays, but it'd be a great grooming for the next Olympics in 2026.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I still find it funny how people called Askarov the best goalie prospect since Price when it's not even clear that he's as good as Knight, let alone a guy like Vasi.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Man, his eyebrows are STRAIGHT

But like I said in the Newhook thread, 2019 draft looks to be living up to the hype, and producing a lot of gems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad