G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Who said the KHL isn't easier? It's an easier league than the NHL. He won't come near those numbers in the NHL, but I think when you look at the fact that he had better overall stats than Koskinen in their two years sharing minutes and his better numbers than Sorokin over their KHL careers, I don't understand these very weak arguments being put up against how he's played. The article I posted a couple of weeks ago from the NYP was a complete hit-piece that was written from someone who probably hadn't ever even watched the kid play and hadn't ever watched a KHL game. He'll have to prove himself in the NHL like anyone else, but his play in recent years is a good indication that he will be able to.

I misread you when you said "easy to do that at SKA".

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Takes the SV% lead back. Now up to .947 after his second consecutive shutout. This one was a 31 save shutout. He now has 8 shutouts this season in 22 starts.

SKA is very good, but this idea that he faces like 10 shots per game is flat out wrong and uninformed. He faces more shots per game than the goalies on the power-teams in the KHL, and I think thats partly because he gets the toughest matchups among his own team and SKA's defense is worse than most people think. They are a very good team, but they aren't even in first place in the KHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I found this stat remarkable.

The NHL team's starting goalie, Lundqvist, doesn't have a shutout in his last 77 games.

Shestyorkin has 20 shutouts in his last 77 games.

It's easier to post shutouts in the KHL and most of that stat isn't Lundqvist's fault. He's playing behind a terrible defense, but the team needs talent at all positions. Lundqvist might not be good enough to be a starting goalie in the NHL by next season, so splitting games with Shestyorkin could be good for both of them.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pronman now ranks him as the best goalie prospect in hockey. He was previously #4.

Button ranked him as the best U24 goalie in hockey in his November list of best U24 hockey players.

Is he now the consensus best goalie prospect?

Edit: Button has a new list today that has Sorokin one spot higher than Shestyorkin.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Pronman now ranks him as the best goalie prospect in hockey. He was previously #4.

Button ranked him as the best U24 goalie in hockey in his November list of best U24 hockey players.

Is he now the consensus best goalie prospect?

Edit: Button has a new list today that has Sorokin one spot higher than Shestyorkin.
Sorokin and Hart are up there

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Is he due to come over this offseason? When is his contract expired.

Will be nice for him to have Lundqist as a mentor

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shestyorkin now leads the KHL in SV% by all goalies after the CSKA back up gave up four goals today. The only 3 goalies within 10% points of him are the CSKA back up who has played the fewest games of anyone near the SV% lead, the Avto starter whose SV% has been dropping since their great start and the guy Shestyorkin splits time with, Hellberg. Shestyorkin looks like the favorite to win goalie of the year after narrowly finishing second two years ago for this award. I thought he would've won it two years ago before Koshechkin had a great playoffs.

A lot of the criticism surrounding Shestyorkin is that the goalies he split time with also have good numbers, and therefore you can't count Shestyorkin's SKA numbers. But Shestyorkin has a .10% higher SV% than Hellberg, which is a big difference. During the two years they split minutes, Koskinen's SV% was .07% lower than Shestyorkin's at .928 compared to Shestyorkin's .935, so thats another significant difference. It has been shown this season, as well, that Koskinen is an NHL caliber goalie, so these aren't only NHL washouts who he is outplaying at SKA. Hellberg might also eventually make his way back to the NHL.

Reactions: bl02

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Returned from injury today. 27 of 28 saves in a 4-1 win. Shestyorkin usually takes some time to return to his best form after injury, but I thought he played very well today. It was a much closer game than the score would have you think.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shestyorkin's pretty close to the single season KHL SV% record. He's at .949 right now, and the record is .954. He likely has 3 games left this season. It'll be tough, but 3 shutouts should get him the record. He might be able to give up one goal, if he faces a lot of shots in those three games.

At the very least after this season, he's likely to be the all-time leader in GAA. He's off the pace of Francouz for all time SV%, so he's only second in that category.

Last edited:

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
All this KHL glory is all well and good, and as a Ranger fan I hope he becomes King Igor but his success to date is a very poor indicator (basically it has no predictive value at all) of his chances of success in the NHL He plays on THE dominant team in the KHL and he's in truly awful company with Francouz in terms of all time Save% in the KHL. Are we talking about that Pavel Francouz? The NHL all-star goalie? NOT

I hope he's great, the history in the KHL means absolutely nothing

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
All this KHL glory is all well and good, and as a Ranger fan I hope he becomes King Igor but his success to date is a very poor indicator (basically it has no predictive value at all) of his chances of success in the NHL He plays on THE dominant team in the KHL and he's in truly awful company with Francouz in terms of all time Save% in the KHL. Are we talking about that Pavel Francouz? The NHL all-star goalie? NOT

I hope he's great, the history in the KHL means absolutely nothing

He doesn't play on the dominant team. They aren't even in first place.

When are people who don't have a clue what they are talking about going to stop acting like he's some lucky fan who was picked in an open tryout for an all-star team?

All he does is win and play well. He's been doing this for five years at an elite level. If we can't judge KHL performance, how can any prospect be judged? The KHL is the second best league in the world. It's by far the best indicator of NHL success.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
SKA has won two of the last 4 Gagarin Cups and they are in 2nd place by 1 game to CSKA, that's not a dominant team by your definition? Just how many KHL goaltenders have come over to North America and been NHL all-stars or even starters? its a pretty short list. I'd be more impressed if he were performing at something close to that level in the AHL. No knock on Shesty, I just don't think it translates very well to NHL success, I believe history is on my side. Sorry to rile you up but your rude and generally wrong....

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If you can't distinguish between AAAA goalies who have a couple good seasons in the KHL after having an overall mediocre career and an elite level net minder whose had great success everywhere he's played, I'm not sure there's any point arguing this.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
SKA has won two of the last 4 Gagarin Cups and they are in 2nd place by 1 game to CSKA, that's not a dominant team by your definition? Just how many KHL goaltenders have come over to North America and been NHL all-stars or even starters? its a pretty short list. I'd be more impressed if he were performing at something close to that level in the AHL. No knock on Shesty, I just don't think it translates very well to NHL success, I believe history is on my side. Sorry to rile you up but your rude and generally wrong....

Umm Vasilevsky and Bobrovsky have done okay for themselves... Shestyorkin is the best goaltending prospect that is not in the NHL right now. Prove me wrong

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012
I never said that Shesty wasn't a very good prospect, no one ever actually reads what anyone writes on this board, everyone is just looking to flame someone else with their overripe opinion. All I said was that all of Shesty's success in the KHL wasn't a very good indicator of how he will do in the NHL due to his playing for one of the KHL "superteams". If Shesty was putting up those numbers for Traktor or Dynamo, I'd put more stock in it. I think Shesty is one of about 15 guys around the world in various leagues outside the NHL that has a shot at being a full-time NHL starter but guys like Carter Hart, Calvin Petersen, Ilya Sorokin, Ilya Samsonov, Ville Husso, Thatcher Demko, Connor Ingram, Kaapo Kahkonen, UP Luukonen, Filip Gustavsson, and a few others all have pretty similar upsides. Everyone is just mesmorized by Shesty's video game numbers in the KHL.

And by the way, for some perspective, Samsonov went from being a .935 goalie in the KHL to being an .889 goalie for the AHL's Hershey Bears so I really don't believe at all, that from a predictive standpoint, the KHL tells anyone much of anything about how a goalie is going to perform in the NHL, or even in North America for that matter. I will give you Bobrovsky, he's been a stud his whole career but he is probably the best Russian Goaltender ever who is not named Tretiak. Again, I'm a Ranger fan, so I hope he becomes the next franchise goaltender, i just don't believe his KHL success has much to say about it.

Reactions: Tex76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad