G Igor Shestyorkin (2014, 118th, NYR)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His outlet passing today has been outstanding.

He's created two good offensive sequences for Russia already, one resulting in a goal, and its only been one period. On the goal, one of the defensemen was demanding the puck, but he shot it all the way down the ice to a forward, and that eventually helped lead to a goal, even though I think too many touched it for him to get an assist. Right after Kaprizov scores and gets congrats from the bench, he goes over to Shestyorkin in net because he knew that the sequence was started by him.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
His outlet passing today has been outstanding.

He's created two good offensive sequences for Russia already, one resulting in a goal, and its only been one period. On the goal, one of the defensemen was demanding the puck, but he shot it all the way down the ice to a forward, and that eventually helped lead to a goal, even though I think too many touched it for him to get an assist. Right after Kaprizov scores and gets congrats from the bench, he goes over to Shestyorkin in net because he knew that the sequence was started by him.
After watching Hank for the past 15 years it’ll be so refreshing to see a goalie who can handle the puck lmao

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I think if you ignore positional considerations, Shestyorkin has a higher ceiling and floor at his position. I understand it’s probably not good for the franchise that our best asset is a goalie and this team has had big trouble with that for ten years, but I think he’s our best asset right now.
In terms of trade value, I doubt that's true.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Highest forward prospect in our pipeline, but still a tier behind Shesty.

What Igor’s done so far in the worlds 2nd most competitive league is mind boggling.

Goalies tend to get overlooked though, especially for a franchise like ours who haven’t drafted a forward with Kravtsov’s ceiling, since Cherepanov.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Highest forward prospect in our pipeline, but still a tier behind Shesty.

What Igor’s done so far in the worlds 2nd most competitive league is mind boggling.

Goalies tend to get overlooked though, especially for a franchise like ours who haven’t drafted a forward like Kravtsov, since Cherepanov.
I wouldn't say a tier. They are both locked in the top tier IMO.

Goalies always get downplayed I'll give you that. It's always about what have you done in the NHL with them before anyone takes them really serious. Unlike with Forwards/Defensemen

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I wouldn't say a tier. They are both locked in the top tier IMO.

Goalies always get downplayed I'll give you that. It's always about what have you done in the NHL with them before anyone takes them really serious. Unlike with Forwards/Defensemen

Kravtsov hasn’t established the type of dominance Shesty has, for as long as he has for me to group them together. That could obviously change quickly, but consistency is something that shouldn’t be overlooked or neglected.

Shesty has been consistently dominant over the last two years.

This kid might be the best player not playing in the NHL right now, in my obviously biased opinion. I played goalie and my idols are Richter, Hasek, and Lundqvist. :nod:

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very weak coaching by SKA, in my opinion.

Shestyorkin had a bad game in his last effort against Riga, so the SKA coaching staff discontinue their rotation policy of Shestyorkin and Hellberg rotating every two games that has been going all season. Shestyorkin only got to play one game before Hellberg played today against CSKA.

It resulted in a 4-1 loss for SKA where Hellberg gave up 4 goals on 21 shots. Shestyorkin hasn't given up 4 goals in a game all season. Yet another reason he has to leave at the end of the season.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
How does Shesty entering the NHL say next season effect the Expansion draft?
I think Hank is off the books then so they can protect Shesty? or will he have 2yrs or less of service and not be eligible?

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I think if you ignore positional considerations, Shestyorkin has a higher ceiling and floor at his position. I understand it’s probably not good for the franchise that our best asset is a goalie and this team has had big trouble with that for ten years, but I think he’s our best asset right now.

Yeah, we've been down that road before!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The New York Post wrote an article on him the other day. Its a conspiracy theory hit-piece on the KHL, but here were some quotes from our Director of European Scouting Nickolai Bobrov about Igor.

“He understands the amount of work it takes,” Bobrov said. “He’s always been the hardest worker on every team he plays on. His coaches, from when he was 9, 10, 11, that’s always been the narrative with him — extremely competitive and extremely hard-working, to the point of he would cry if the team lost and he would blame himself when he was very little.”

“His career thus far has been mentally challenging from the standpoint of being 1, 1a, and always competing in the job,” Bobrov said. “He’s handled it really well, he’s stepped up in big moments.”

Yet Bobrov said that Shesterkin is “very, very good at tracking the puck through traffic, calm seeing the puck through several screens. I don’t expect that to be a great challenge, because he’s good at that.”

“Igor is very aware of the amount of knowledge that Benny has,” Bobrov said.

“We’re talking about a Hall of Fame goaltender and that’s very big shoes to fill,” Bobrov said. “We would not want to put that type of pressure on anyone at this point. Remember when Hank first came, there were no expectations. Better to keep it like that.”

https://nypost.com/2018/12/25/the-russian-youngster-rangers-hope-is-the-next-goalie-superstar/

Reactions: Lays

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
23 save shutout today. He's now at .944 for the season. His best season in the KHL was .937. Among goalies who've played at least 20 games this season, he's barely behind Kovar for the league SV% lead. Kovar is at .945.

I think the most remarkable aspect of his season is that he hasn't allowed more than 3 goals in any game so far this season. Both goalies on the NHL team this year are averaging over 3 GAA. I know there's a big difference in where the teams sit in their respective leagues, but it takes such concentration for a goalie to not have a terrible performance even once in a season that loses their team the game. He's also not once given up five goals while at SKA. 4 is his career high with SKA. The last time he gave up five goals in a KHL game was in January of 2014 during his draft season.

And just to anticipate the "its easy to do that at SKA" comment that might be coming, Hellberg allowed four goals in a game earlier this season. He also faces less shots per game than Shestyorkin, not to even mention he has a worse SV%. Koskinen also let up five goals twice during the two seasons that he split games with Shestyorkin.

Reactions: Lays and Kupo

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
23 save shutout today. He's now at .944 for the season. His best season in the KHL was .937. Among goalies who've played at least 20 games this season, he's barely behind Kovar for the league SV% lead. Kovar is at .945.

I think the most remarkable aspect of his season is that he hasn't allowed more than 3 goals in any game so far this season. Both goalies on the NHL team this year are averaging over 3 GAA. I know there's a big difference in where the teams sit in their respective leagues, but it takes such concentration for a goalie to not have a terrible performance even once in a season that loses their team the game. He's also not once given up five goals while at SKA. 4 is his career high with SKA. The last time he gave up five goals in a KHL game was in January of 2014 during his draft season.

And just to anticipate the "its easy to do that at SKA" comment that might be coming, Hellberg allowed four goals in a game earlier this season. He also faces less shots per game than Shestyorkin, not to even mention he has a worse SV%. Koskinen also let up five goals twice during the two seasons that he split games with Shestyorkin.

I don't see how you can prevent the "KHL is easier" argument when you a .944 isn't even good enough for first place in the league.

I'm a huge Shestyorkin fan and have been anticipating his arrival for years, but the goalie numbers coming out of the KHL Have tempered my expectations dramatically.

That being said, I always read your updates whenever I see them.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't see how you can prevent the "KHL is easier" argument when you a .944 isn't even good enough for first place in the league.

I'm a huge Shestyorkin fan and have been anticipating his arrival for years, but the goalie numbers coming out of the KHL Have tempered my expectations dramatically.

That being said, I always read your updates whenever I see them.

Who said the KHL isn't easier? It's an easier league than the NHL. He won't come near those numbers in the NHL, but I think when you look at the fact that he had better overall stats than Koskinen in their two years sharing minutes and his better numbers than Sorokin over their KHL careers, I don't understand these very weak arguments being put up against how he's played. The article I posted a couple of weeks ago from the NYP was a complete hit-piece that was written from someone who probably hadn't ever even watched the kid play and hadn't ever watched a KHL game. He'll have to prove himself in the NHL like anyone else, but his play in recent years is a good indication that he will be able to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad