G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I only caught part of the 2nd. His glove had velcro in it for the bits I caught, very sure handed. Hoping the team gives a better effort in front of him next time.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
1699815118462.png

Much like my Oil, maybe it isn't the goalies?

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Agreed, you can see he is one visibly dialed-in goaltender and virtually unflappable mentally. After the first 10 minutes last night Ottawa was pouring it on him the rest of the game.

This is his time and I think Calgary needs to start finding out what they can do with Vladar here.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agreed, you can see he is one visibly dialed-in goaltender and virtually unflappable mentally. After the first 10 minutes last night Ottawa was pouring it on him the rest of the game.

This is his time and I think Calgary needs to start finding out what they can do with Vladar here.
Wolf's chance is gonna come in 2024, not now. At least not if Markström is healthy. Flames aren't gonna risk his waiver eligibility without a real need to do so.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Wolf's chance is gonna come in 2024, not now. At least not if Markström is healthy. Flames aren't gonna risk his waiver eligibility without a real need to do so.
I don’t get this view. Calgary can simply waive Vladar. I doubt anyone wants Vladar considering his play and cap hit…so he will go to minors. If for some reason Wolf can’t handle the NhL from here on, they can simply bring Vladar back up and send Wolf back to minors.

But Markstrom is not getting any younger. In a few years they will need to replace him, if not sooner. Wolf can’t just start playing 60 games all of a sudden, he needs a year or two in the nhl where he can get experience and play maybe 15-30 games a season.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I don’t get this view. Calgary can simply waive Vladar. I doubt anyone wants Vladar considering his play and cap hit…so he will go to minors. If for some reason Wolf can’t handle the NhL from here on, they can simply bring Vladar back up and send Wolf back to minors.

But Markstrom is not getting any younger. In a few years they will need to replace him, if not sooner. Wolf can’t just start playing 60 games all of a sudden, he needs a year or two in the nhl where he can get experience and play maybe 15-30 games a season.
At some point they can no longer send Wolf to the minors. If they start playing Wolf now and something happens to Markström this or next season then the Flames are in trouble. They're not gonna take that risk.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Secondly, and even more importantly, Wolf can play a maximum of 78 games this and next season before becoming waiver eligible.

He should be waiver-eligible. The rule exists to protect players from being jerked around by teams like this.

But Markstrom is not getting any younger. In a few years they will need to replace him, if not sooner.

Markstrom is awful and should be sent packing.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He should be waiver-eligible. The rule exists to protect players from being jerked around by teams like this.

Markstrom is awful and should be sent packing.
I don't think the Flames agree with you on that one. Roster flexibility is everything. You want your players to be waiver exempt for as long as possible. The Flames are far from a contender so they don't have a lot of reasons to play Wolf now without a need. He's gonna get his chance in 2024.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't think the Flames agree with you on that one. Roster flexibility is everything. You want your players to be waiver exempt for as long as possible. The Flames are far from a contender so they don't have a lot of reasons to play Wolf now without a need. He's gonna get his chance in 2024.

Maybe they should play him and pay him. This kind of penny-pinching not exactly good for the Flames reputation.

You have a good player, treat him well. He knows what's happening.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
With Markström week to week, Wolf should get plenty of NHL time in the near future.
Btw, this is exactly why the Flames opted not to play Wolf earlier this season. He can play just 76 games before becoming waiver eligible.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
.933 sv% today on 30 shots against the hurricanes. The 2 goals he let in were deflections that would have been difficult saves for any NHL goaltender.

He didn't have to make the most difficult saves but part of that could be that he made everything look easy.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
.933 sv% today on 30 shots against the Minnesota wild. The 2 goals he let in were deflections that would have been difficult saves for any NHL goaltender.

He didn't have to make the most difficult saves but part of that could be that he made everything look easy.
It probably helped sharing the net with DeSmith -- Wolf faced Carolina!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
As a Wolf owner in a keeper league, very pleased with how the game last night turned out!

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Huge win for Wolf and the Flames. The Canes are experiencing their own goalie voes, but theyre still a difficult team to beat with a pretty good offense.

I watched diagonally. Wolf seemed poised, calm, in control. He didnt make many extra movements, which is probably how he can keep looking good at pro levels despite his size.

Very aggressive and dynamic too. He kept his gloves in front of him at all time. Hopefully he keeps impressing and becomes a staple for the Flames! As someone who played goalie and isnt very tall, I always root for the "smaller" goalies out there.

I think the biggest issue with smaller goalie is and is always gonna be deflections - like the two goals yesterday. Unfortunateky, thats just part of being small and not covering as much net.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Huge win for Wolf and the Flames. The Canes are experiencing their own goalie voes, but theyre still a difficult team to beat with a pretty good offense.

I watched diagonally. Wolf seemed poised, calm, in control. He didnt make many extra movements, which is probably how he can keep looking good at pro levels despite his size.

Very aggressive and dynamic too. He kept his gloves in front of him at all time. Hopefully he keeps impressing and becomes a staple for the Flames! As someone who played goalie and isnt very tall, I always root for the "smaller" goalies out there.

I think the biggest issue with smaller goalie is and is always gonna be deflections - like the two goals yesterday. Unfortunateky, thats just part of being small and not covering as much net.

I don't think a bigger goalie stops those two deflection goals.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't think a bigger goalie stops those two deflection goals.

Difficult to know. My point being that on deflections, goalies cant do much more than being well positioned and hoping rhe puck hits them.

A big goalie positioned at the same spot and in the same position will inherently cover more space. They also have the luxury of going butterfly and covering more of the top of the net.

That said, im excited to see Wolf have a prolonged chance in the NHL. If only deflections beat him, thats pretty impressive.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Wolf is the same height as Hasek and as tall or taller than half of the top-10 winningest goalies of all time.

Kid reminds me of Cujo, with a dash of Jonathan Quick.

Reactions: Bone Density

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Wolf is the same height as Hasek and as tall or taller than half of the top-10 winningest goalies of all time.

Kid reminds me of Cujo, with a dash of Jonathan Quick.
Shesterkin •6’1”
Quick •6’1”
Lundqvist •6’1”
Saros •5’11”

Wolf •6’0”

His height should’ve stopped being talked about the second he made the jump to the AHL and didn’t even slow down slightly. The only reason it gets brought up is because it WAS the only detractor he had for the longest time. His height doesn’t stand out that much in todays NHL nearly as much as posters will have you believe.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad