G Dustin Wolf (2019, 214th, CGY)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Then you have a very narrow view. He's entering his 3rd pro season and is 22 years old. He's not 25+ years old dying on the vine.

I thought he was 23 or 24 by now so my bad. I feel he can make around 10 other nhl teams today. Calgary are good with Markstrom and Vladar currently to allow him more seasoning in the ahl which in my belief isn't a bad thing either. Not many goalies can make the jump before the age of 22 or 23 for that matter. I'm all for developing goalies in the ahl or Euro pro leagues before jumping right into the show.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I thought he was 23 or 24 by now so my bad. I feel he can make around 10 other nhl teams today. Calgary are good with Markstrom and Vladar currently to allow him more seasoning in the ahl which in my belief isn't a bad thing either. Not many goalies can make the jump before the age of 22 or 23 for that matter. I'm all for developing goalies in the ahl or Euro pro leagues before jumping right into the show.

Yeah, I mean the plan is to get him some NHL games. I'd like to see 15 but around 10 seems more likely if Vladar and Markstrom are playing well. I don't really have a ton of confidence in the organization considering they haven't developed a starter since Mike freaking Vernon but having watched a lot of Wolf they'd really have to dick it up for him to not have any sort of NHL career.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah, I mean the plan is to get him some NHL games. I'd like to see 15 but around 10 seems more likely if Vladar and Markstrom are playing well. I don't really have a ton of confidence in the organization considering they haven't developed a starter since Mike freaking Vernon but having watched a lot of Wolf they'd really have to dick it up for him to not have any sort of NHL career.
Well I'd agree if you don't count guys who they developed but found success later on. I'm hugely high on Wolf. I don't think he can be ruined. We can sour him on the organization but not ruin him. I think he will win a Vezina one day. I'm sour on Honzek and view him as a middle 6 W. I think Wolf is flat out the best goalie prospect in the world and that it's not really even remotely close.

Reactions: Fantomas

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Just trade him to San Jose, you're not gonna play him. :sarcasm:
Bring the San Jose native home.

We'll give you a 2nd + 3rd + 4th (the 2nd is essentially a 1st with the way our team is built lol)

#FreeTheWolf

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
He's insane.

So is Calgary for keeping him down in the AHL still. I realize Vladar has that contract but waive him and send him down instead, regardless. When you have this good a goalie prospect you put him on your roster, no ifs ands or buts.
Canucks should trade for him lol.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
He is 22 years , so as good as he is , it is still very very early to be a starting G in the show at this age. There must be precedents that I’m not aware of but still it has to be extremely rare . So I would argue that he will benefit from getting 80% of the starts in the Ahl this year again . Oettinger took the job at 23, but it’s not like there was much competition .

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
He’s better off getting lots of starts no matter where he plays. But that won’t happen in the NHL, he’s be best off getting a handful of games at the NHL level but starting as many games as he can in the A, he’ll get some call ups this year… hopefully

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He is 22 years , so as good as he is , it is still very very early to be a starting G in the show at this age. There must be precedents that I’m not aware of but still it has to be extremely rare . So I would argue that he will benefit from getting 80% of the starts in the Ahl this year again . Oettinger took the job at 23, but it’s not like there was much competition .

Does not comply with this goalie.

In my books (i know its very bold) Wolf is already top 10 goalie in the world,
he is just that good.

Kari Lehtonen was a starting goalie for the Atlanta Thrashers at 19.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
He’s better off getting lots of starts no matter where he plays. But that won’t happen in the NHL, he’s be best off getting a handful of games at the NHL level but starting as many games as he can in the A, he’ll get some call ups this year… hopefully
The Canucks developed goalies like Cory Schneider and Thatcher Demko just fine while making them backups in the NHL for a time. They spent a couple seasons as starters in the AHL, as Wolf has, and then they broke into the NHL learning the ropes under Luongo and Markstrom respectively. Ideally Wolf would be the backup behind Markstrom for the remainder of a Markstrom's contact and then be ready to take over after so that the Flames don't need to worry about re-signing Markstrom. If Wolf steals the job before that and makes Markstrom the backup then that's great too!

It's a tried and true development path for goaltenders. Hopefully Calgary finds a taker for Vladar so that they can go this route but even if they can't they should send him to the AHL regardless and can up Wolf.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think as long as he plays 20+ games in the NHL and 20 ish in the AHL he should be fine. He’s ready though

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Flames staff & management really is the worst in the NHL... its a joke that this caliber of a goalie plays in the AHL.. STILL.

28/29 and W

perfect 4-0-0 record in the AHL so far

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Flames staff & management really is the worst in the NHL... its a joke that this caliber of a goalie plays in the AHL.. STILL.

28/29 and W

perfect 4-0-0 record in the AHL so far
For two very good reasons it's not in the Flames' best interest to play Wolf in the NHL now.

Firstly, as we speak, the Flames are an absolute dumpsterfire of a team. I'm not the greatest fan of Jacob Markström but if I try to be objective then I have to say that he's been razor sharp so far this season. In most games he gave the Flames a chance to win even when they had zero business of doing so. Unfortunately he was consistently hung out to dry by his teammates and got very little goal support. If even Markström standing on his head can't save the Flames then you gotta be very cautious about exposing a young rookie to such a situation. You wanna make 200% sure he handle it.

Secondly, and even more importantly, Wolf can play a maximum of 78 games this and next season before becoming waiver eligible. This is something I'm 100% certain the Flames wanna avoid. Nobody expected Spencer Knight to play AHL right now after the start to his NHL career and after seemingly beating out Bobrovskiy last season. Just goes to show that even the most talented players can suffer major setbacks for health reasons. With the dumpsterfire team the Flames have it's also possible the Flames simply gotta give him AHL time for confidence reasons. So if they play Wolf now and something happens to Markström either this or next season then the Flames could be in trouble. Ideally, Wolf should hit 80 NHL games in spring 2025 the earliest.

I fully expect the Flames to test the water at some point this season but unless something happens to Jacob Markström Wolf might have to wait until 2024 for his chance. Would be interesting to see if they play him anyway should something happen to Vladar but I'm relatively sure the Flames are looking to limit Wolf's NHL action for as long as they can in order to have more flexibility next season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
For two very good reasons it's not in the Flames' best interest to play Wolf in the NHL now.

Firstly, as we speak, the Flames are an absolute dumpsterfire of a team. I'm not the greatest fan of Jacob Markström but if I try to be objective then I have to say that he's been razor sharp so far this season. In most games he gave the Flames a chance to win even when they had zero business of doing so. Unfortunately he was consistently hung out to dry by his teammates and got very little goal support. If even Markström standing on his head can't save the Flames then you gotta be very cautious about exposing a young rookie to such a situation. You wanna make 200% sure he handle it.

Secondly, and even more importantly, Wolf can play a maximum of 78 games this and next season before becoming waiver eligible. This is something I'm 100% certain the Flames wanna avoid. Nobody expected Spencer Knight to play AHL right now after the start to his NHL career and after seemingly beating out Bobrovskiy last season. Just goes to show that even the most talented players can suffer major setbacks for health reasons. With the dumpsterfire team the Flames have it's also possible the Flames simply gotta give him AHL time for confidence reasons. So if they play Wolf now and something happens to Markström either this or next season then the Flames could be in trouble. Ideally, Wolf should hit 80 NHL games in spring 2025 the earliest.

I fully expect the Flames to test the water at some point this season but unless something happens to Jacob Markström Wolf might have to wait until 2024 for his chance. Would be interesting to see if they play him anyway should something happen to Vladar but I'm relatively sure the Flames are looking to limit Wolf's NHL action for as long as they can in order to have more flexibility next season.
Something tells me he is not going to wait, hell offer his goalie abilities elsewhere.
He will not resign with Flames after this season, if he doesn't get fair amount of starts this season.
- i mean why would he stay, it would kill his career

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Something tells me he is not going to wait, hell offer his goalie abilities elsewhere.
He will not resign with Flames after this season, if he doesn't get fair amount of starts this season.
- i mean why would he stay, it would kill his career
Why would it kill his career?
Also, doing that wouldn't be a smart idea. He's RFA so he doesn't really have a choice. Doesn't even have arbitration rights so now is not the time to bitch around.

As I said he's likely to get a chance this season. Flames are just gonna be careful putting a rookie behind that mess and they're gonna make sure he doesn't get to 80 games early. Nothing wrong with that from where I stand. Most teams would act just like that. It would be something different if the Flames were a winning team and Jacob Markström isn't really the problem either. I don't think there's a goalie in the world who could solve the Flames for as long as they don't manage to score more goals and limit turnovers. Playing Wolf now would do nothing for the Flames so it's an unnecessary risk to take. He's getting way more reps in the AHL, too...which is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: deleted user

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Also, doing that wouldn't be a smart idea. He's RFA so he doesn't really have a choice. Doesn't even have arbitration rights so now is not the time to bitch around.

As I said he's likely to get a chance this season. Flames are just gonna be careful putting a rookie behind that mess and they're gonna make sure he doesn't get to 80 games early.
Yeah careful... like they did with Phillips, are doing with Zary, Poirier, even Pelletier
then there's Pettersen, Pospisil., the only player they have not "ruined" so far is Coronato..

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah careful... like they did with Phillips, are doing with Zary, Poirier, even Pelletier
then there's Pettersen, Pospisil., the only player they have not "ruined" so far is Coronato..
Every case is different. Firstly, Coronato is a winger so he's playing the least complicated position to get eased into the NHL.

Secondly, Coronato can play 150 NHL games before becoming waiver eligible which is almost 2x the amount of games Wolf can play and pretty much ensures he can't become eligible until spring 2025. This is why Coronato is playing NHL while Wolf is not.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

As I said he's likely to get a chance this season. Flames are just gonna be careful putting a rookie behind that mess and they're gonna make sure he doesn't get to 80 games early. Nothing wrong with that from where I stand. Most teams would act just like that. It would be something different if the Flames were a winning team and Jacob Markström isn't really the problem either. I don't think there's a goalie in the world who could solvd the Flames for as long as they don't manage to score more goals and limit turnovers. Playing Wolf now would do nothing for the Flames so it's an unnecessary risk to take. He's getting way more reps in the AHL, too...which is important.
I mean, when is this mess gonna be fixed? That franchise looks like it’s In a world of hurt for the foreseeable future.

I think Pelletier was going to be playing every night in the nhl this year before he suffered the injury.

Reactions: deleted user

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

Have you seen how much TOI Phillips has gotten lately? Maybe that's how good he is.
Poirier, what the hell do you mean. He's a 21yo 3rd round pick, that has played one season in the AHL and just started his second, and is doing great. Or would be, but is injured now. Pelletier would be in the NHL, but he's injured.

Pettersen was a 6th round pick, he hasn't been ruined by Flames. Pospisil was a 4th round pick.

Reactions: KapG

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
27/27 SO and W with 1st star selection...

And now they've sent Matt Coronato to the AHL???
- scored the 1-0 game winner goal

What joke of an organization (at least now).

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Thought he looked solid last night. Very good positioning and very athletic.

Scoreboard is deceiving as none of the goals were really his fault at all and more based on defensive breakdowns.

Flames fans, do you think he's sent down this week or does he get another start?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00