Value of: G - Dan Vladar

Ledge And Dairy

Hardly. His acquisition cost was a 3rd and he now has two NHL seasons under his belt. His overall Sv% form last year is not indicative of his skill set which has improved as he has gained experience. The Sv% is indicative of a team that struggled at times (for various reasons).

When he came here he had a grand total of five NHL games to his resume. He was a rookie and vver the past two years with the Flames his Sv% average is .900 (50 games.

Also the league average Sv% in 2022-23 dropped to .904.

Not a world beater (yet), but not some scrub worth a pittance.
His SV% was more indicative of the amount of shots he faced per game being so low as well as the quality of shots he faced per game was higher on average due to the teams shot suppression

Reactions: Nanuuk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Calgary is going to have to pay to get rid of this guy.

He's not good, he's not young, they need to get rid of him, and he's way overpaid for a bad backup goalie.

I was initially thinking they could get a 6th or 7th, but then I saw his contract. In a league where so many are right up against the cap, a bad backup goalie being overpaid by like 1.5M per season isn't getting you anything. There are many teams that couldn't afford him if they wanted him. The teams up against the cap that aren't locked into a contract already for their back up year to year aren't paying more than league minimum. If Calgary wants to retain half, it's possible they could get a 7th round pick. I don't think the teams up against the cap would go for him anyway, but a bad team where a few hundred thousand doesn't matter because they have so much cap space, it could be worth it.

Last edited:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Unless someone has a deteriorating health situation through camp heading into the season, i just don't see any real value at all to a "serviceable backup" goaltender.

Especially when you've got a team out there like Montreal who have a three-headed goalie monster that means a guy like Casey DeSmith is probably available. A significantly better goaltender for $400k less.

Frankly, there's no reason to "rush" Wolf imo. But if it becomes clear that there is a reason to get him on the roster ASAP...Vladar might even clear waivers and you can just keep him around as very expensive depth/insurance that maybe interests somebody with a goaltending injury toward the deadline. :dunno:

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I assume someone at some point will have a major injury in goal and Vladar would be a prime candidate to be the stop gap.

I also think Vladar would be a good short term fit in Winnipeg after they trade Hellebucyk.

Reactions: Czechboy

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I think Calgary is going to have to pay to get rid of this guy.

He's not good, he's not young, they need to get rid of him, and he's way overpaid for a bad backup goalie.

I was initially thinking they could get a 6th or 7th, but then I saw his contract. In a league where so many are right up against the cap, a bad backup goalie being overpaid by like 1.5M per season isn't getting you anything. There are many teams that couldn't afford him if they wanted him. The teams up against the cap that aren't locked into a contract already for their back up year to year aren't paying more than league minimum. If Calgary wants to retain half, it's possible they could get a 7th round pick. I don't think the teams up against the cap would go for him anyway, but a bad team where a few hundred thousand doesn't matter because they have so much cap space, it could be worth it.
Terrible take. Not even close to accurate. Literally, obviously know nothing about the guy other than looking at stats.

Have to pay to get rid if him? LOL. Go on.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Czechboy

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's kind of expensive for a not that great backup goalie. Not really something teams are looking for even when injuries hit. Flames may have to retain to move him.

No idea why Flames gave him an extention last October before his last year was even up . Now they're kind of stuck with a $2.2M backup behind Markström but in front of one of the top goalie prospects.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Doesn’t Wolf have a option down so they really done have to make a move they just may want too

Wolf is waiver exempt until 2025-2026 or if he plays 79 more NHL games. There is no reason for them to pre-emptively trade a goalie this year.

Look at what the three goalies do in training camp and then do a move during the year if needed. You can even wait until next summer FA when teams will be looking for starters or backups.

If you trade one goalie now, you are likely not getting the best value AND probably getting a goalie back as teams have their duo already.

Reactions: wintersej

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Vladar is a dime a dozen, except he costs a lot more than a dime. He has negative value.

But the Flames holding onto him while burying Wolf would be so on brand that I can't see them do anything but.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Somehow vladar become the worst goalie in the league in the offseason. Interesting takes that I think will age poorly. Time will tell of course.

Reactions: Fig

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Terrible take. Not even close to accurate. Literally, obviously know nothing about the guy other than looking at stats.

Have to pay to get rid if him? LOL. Go on.
Stats are what matters. He’s paid to stop the puck and doesn’t do so well.

This. If you look at his box scores from last year he had like 3 bad starts the entire season.

Dan Vladar 2022-23 Stats per Game - NHL - ESPN
People try to overcomplicate this stuff so much. He’s also 52 of 62 goalies in goals saved above expected last season. He’s a bottom half of the league back up.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I assume someone at some point will have a major injury in goal and Vladar would be a prime candidate to be the stop gap.

I also think Vladar would be a good short term fit in Winnipeg after they trade Hellebucyk.

The problem with picking him up as a short term stop gap is the second year. It’s much less appealing to take someone who’s overpaid when they aren’t on an expiring deal

Somehow vladar become the worst goalie in the league in the offseason. Interesting takes that I think will age poorly. Time will tell of course.

Not at all. But he’s a 26 year old mediocre backup and he makes literally double what most of his comps make. With the flat cap, the only way he doesn’t have negative value is if someone thinks he’s got some potential as a late bloomer

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vladar was also better by almost every metric than Markstrom last season, including goals saved above expected.

Maybe the team was more of a factor here.
Markstrom sucks too. He’s cooked. This was going to happen. Markstrom was a backup his whole career and then had like 2 good seasons. Why would anyone be stupid enough to give him a retirement contract for the two best seasons of his average career?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Markstrom was a top 10-15 starting goalie since 2017.
Started 26 playoff games.
Top 5 in Vezina voting twice.
Had a career year 2021-2022.

Team quits on Darryl Sutter and now he's a bum.

ok then.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Markstrom was a top 10-15 starting goalie since 2017.
Started 26 playoff games.
Top 5 in Vezina voting twice.
Had a career year 2021-2022.

Team quits on Darryl Sutter and now he's a bum.

ok then.
It wasn't so much that the team quit on Sutter. I can' tell you how many games the Flames controlled the game, out shooting opponents by a wide margin with the goalie standing around basically twiddling his thumbs waiting for some action. And when they did come, more often than not, they were high danger chances from a breakdown in front of him.

Players are allowed to have off years. Markstrom and his GF found out they were expecting so they got married in November (or so) and their baby arrived in February. The guy was exactly focussed. Combined with Sutter penchant for riding his goalies hard he had a rough season.

Call them excuses, or not, but neither will be present this year. I think he'll come back loaded for bear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haatley

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I'd argue goalies (specifically backups) are paid to win hockey games and stop pucks at crucial moments. Vladar's splits indicate that he's a goaltender who performs at his best in tight games and who can get loose once a game is out of reach, and his record is an indication of that. He has a record of 27-12-7 here in Calgary. Nothing below average about that. Additionally just 29% of his starts as a Flame have been on home ice.

I don't buy the moneypuck model personally. That suggests that Jacob Markstrom only allowed three more goals than he realistically should have last season, and quite frankly that was simply not the case. Vladar was quite easily the better option last season.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Not fetching a 2nd rounder.

Colorado Avalanche 4th rounder, 2023 for Vladar to the Sharks? I'd do that, though.

He's a guy I've always thought was interesting... 25, on the books for 2 years at 2.2m to UFA. Think that's a good fit if your coaching team thinks he has some potential.
Hoping for a reverse of fortune on the Kiprusoff trade?

HEY DAN VLADAR I AM YOUR FATHERView attachment 741439
His first name should be Luke

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

On the other hand, he's also not a starter like the OP said.

Goalie value is highly volatile and at this point of the offseason, it would be really hard to get value for him.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Vegas just won the cup while cycling through 5 different goalies, no need for Calgary to panic and toss out any depth they have at this time

(And yes I know, Calgary isn’t comparable team to Vegas)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad