Value of: G - Dan Vladar

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Vladar cost the flames a 3rd rounder (2022) and was a rookie when he started with Calgary (5 games with Boston). He was drafted in the 3rd round by Boston in 2015.

Last year was his sophomore year.

For Calgary watchers he has shown flashes of brilliance and other times he lacked confidence.

His Sv% was down (.895), but then again so was the league average (.904). The league average GAA was 2.97 and Vladar's was 2.91.

He would definitely be worth at least a 2nd in my view as he has developed more and is worth more than he was when he was acquired.

If it weren't for the fact that Flames prospect Dustin Wolf (7th round 2019) has been lights out in the AHL (Best Goaltender as a rookie, a 2nd Best Goaltender award as a sophomore and the league MVP), Vladar's name wouldn't even be bandied about.

The fact is goaltending is a strength of the Flames despite a poor team season last year. Vladar won't be given away for peanuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double Dion

Ledge And Dairy

You're not really sharing the whole picture.

Vladar also faced among the lowest high danger shots and expected goals against in the league as well. The mix of shot quality he ended up facing was about average to below average relative to the league. He actually did pretty well on the high quality stuff but was letting in bad goals. His average goal distance was once of the worst in the league.
Using a base of 1000 minutes played via Natural Stat Trick, Vladar faced the 3rd least HD Shots/60, and the least LD Shots/60 in the league. However he faced the 42nd least MD Shots/60. By definition mid danger shots are unblocked shots taken from from anywhere between the 2 dots and high slot, with the exception of the low slot being high danger. AKA the yellow image in the below image
hd_scoring_area.png

There is some variance between Vladar in Markstrom in the amount of mid and high danger shots they faced (Markstrom facing more HD but less MD), but both faced some of the fewest low danger shots in overall (33% and 34% of shots against from low danger areas). This backs up up my previous point of Calgary being one of the top teams in shot suppression as ~40% of shots on net come from the low danger area in general.

Now realistically the best way to truly see how Vladar played is the eye test. Vladar let in 5 goals (never more than 5) 4 times this season, and 4 goals 2 times. Here are the linked highlights and breakdowns of those games Goals Against.
Game 1: Seattle(5) @ Calgary(4) [11/1/22] - GA's were 1 clean shot, 1 on the PK, 1 giveaway on the PP, 2 odd man rushes.
Game 2: Calgary(4) @ Toronto(5) OT [12/10/22] - GA's were 3 on the PK (1 in OT), 1 deflection off a teammate, 1 clean goal.
Game 3: Calgary(3) @ Los Angeles(4) OT [12/22/22] - GA's were 1 deflection, 1 giveaway behind the net, 1 rebound, 1 2v1 in OT. (Worth noting Vladar also had a lot of great saves in this game)
Game 4: Calgary(6) @ Dallas(5) [1/14/23] - GA's were 1 giveaway on the PK, 4 clean goals
Game 5: Detroit(5) @Calgary(2) [2/16/23] - GA's were 2 clean goal, 2 on the PK,1 defensive breakdown, 1 softy.
Game 6: Calgary(3) @ Vegas(4) OT [2/23/23] - GA's were 1 on the PK, 1 clean goal, 1 giveaway that lead to a goal, 1 3v2 in OT.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sept 6 and Vladar is still wearing Flames colors. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Vladar, Markstrom, and Wolf on the Flames roster come October. Wolf is still waiver exempt so he can be moved between the Calgary based Wranglers and the Flames at will. Craig Conroy isn't going to just give him away for free just to make room for Dustin Wolf.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Vladar cost the flames a 3rd rounder (2022) and was a rookie when he started with Calgary (5 games with Boston). He was drafted in the 3rd round by Boston in 2015.

Last year was his sophomore year.

For Calgary watchers he has shown flashes of brilliance and other times he lacked confidence.

His Sv% was down (.895), but then again so was the league average (.904). The league average GAA was 2.97 and Vladar's was 2.91.

He would definitely be worth at least a 2nd in my view as he has developed more and is worth more than he was when he was acquired.

If it weren't for the fact that Flames prospect Dustin Wolf (7th round 2019) has been lights out in the AHL (Best Goaltender as a rookie, a 2nd Best Goaltender award as a sophomore and the league MVP), Vladar's name wouldn't even be bandied about.

The fact is goaltending is a strength of the Flames despite a poor team season last year. Vladar won't be given away for peanuts.
fans are saying Ullmark couldn't get a first after winning the Vezina but you think Vladar is somehow worth a 2nd with a sub.900 save percentage? Would you be happy if your team did that? He's worth a 4th at best

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
fans are saying Ullmark couldn't get a first after winning the Vezina but you think Vladar is somehow worth a 2nd with a sub.900 save percentage? Would you be happy if your team did that? He's worth a 4th at best
Obviously Vladar needs to improve (not DRASTICALLY), but given his contract of 2.2 x 2, I think that’s worth more than a 4th in a cap world.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He was good most of the season and yet rode the pine when Markstrom started to play at a passable level.

Vladar had a weird season. His sv % in games where the Flames were down or up by one, or tied was very high. In situations where the Flames were up by more than one goal it was abysmal.

He has too much potential and there is a serious lack of upcoming young goalies, I bet someone fires a 3rd or 2nd for his potential.
I think the word you are missing here is consistency.

He has potential, but has not shown any sort of consistency to make a team justify that return.

Maybe he goes on a mini hot streak and his value rises, but in the off-season, I think most teams are currently set in goal (or at the very least have an equivalent goalie in their system), Vladar likely isn't a huge player of interest, even at a "fair" price for potential. Waivers may be another story, but currently from an unbiased standpoint, what team would get rid of a 2nd for him?

Once the season starts that can all change, but as of now, while I like Vladar, I can't think of a team that would go out of their way for him.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Flames need to move a goalie to make room for the reigning AHL MVP Dustin Wolf. Could see a couple teams being interested in a young cheap starter like Vladar. Ottawa, Buffalo, maybe Treliving looks to acquire him again for Toronto. Maybe Detroit or Columbus.

His numbers don't look like anything special this year but were brought down by a couple horrendous games.

2nd RD pick too much to ask? Another young player with potential? What does a Vladar trade look like?
Starter? We have a different definition of what a starter is. 2 years as a backup does not make you a starter. A 2nd is too much to ask.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Hardly. His acquisition cost was a 3rd and he now has two NHL seasons under his belt. His overall Sv% form last year is not indicative of his skill set which has improved as he has gained experience. The Sv% is indicative of a team that struggled at times (for various reasons).

When he came here he had a grand total of five NHL games to his resume. He was a rookie and vver the past two years with the Flames his Sv% average is .900 (50 games.

Also the league average Sv% in 2022-23 dropped to .904.

Not a world beater (yet), but not some scrub worth a pittance.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Highest rating he had in Boston was no.3! Career backup 25-30 games max!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Hardly. His acquisition cost was a 3rd and he now has two NHL seasons under his belt. His overall Sv% form last year is not indicative of his skill set which has improved as he has gained experience. The Sv% is indicative of a team that struggled at times (for various reasons).

When he came here he had a grand total of five NHL games to his resume. He was a rookie and vver the past two years with the Flames his Sv% average is .900 (50 games.

Also the league average Sv% in 2022-23 dropped to .904.

Not a world beater (yet), but not some scrub worth a pittance.
So I'll then. How do you expect a second for a goalie that hasn't excelled since his arrival in the show? He has a below average save percentage for his career. Him being drafted in third round has zero baring on what he's worth now. I can name a bunch of average first round picks are you giving up more than a first to acquire them? Again because you traded a third for him does not mean he's worth that or more today not having proven anything to date.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
If the Flames stutter this season and/or if Markstrom continues to be on the decline, and Wolf steals the net, I think the Flames should move Markstrom instead and keep Vladar as backup. There is a much bigger market for Markstrom. I could see LA or NJ inquiring about him. Injuries are going to happen early in the season and as soon as a contender loses their starter, Flames will be getting calls about Markstrom.

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think the word you are missing here is consistency.

He has potential, but has not shown any sort of consistency to make a team justify that return.

Maybe he goes on a mini hot streak and his value rises, but in the off-season, I think most teams are currently set in goal (or at the very least have an equivalent goalie in their system), Vladar likely isn't a huge player of interest, even at a "fair" price for potential. Waivers may be another story, but currently from an unbiased standpoint, what team would get rid of a 2nd for him?

Once the season starts that can all change, but as of now, while I like Vladar, I can't think of a team that would go out of their way for him.
I mean we traded David Rittich for a 3rd. We traded Reto Berra for a 2nd. Vladar is better than both. Goalie departments love guys that are 6'5" and crazy athletic.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Mid round pick, like any other backup in the league. If that.
Reto Berra. Cam Talbot. David Rittich. I mean as an Oilers fan you should know the most successful goalie you've had in the past 2 decades was a career backup you traded a 1st and 3rd round pick for. Heck Roloson wasn't even in the NHL when he was 2 years older than Vladar is right now.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
He's basically the same as UPL, so I don't see a fit on Buffalo. The Sabres seem comfortable with their hodgepodge of goalies unless there's a clear upgrade out there.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I mean we traded David Rittich for a 3rd. We traded Reto Berra for a 2nd. Vladar is better than both. Goalie departments love guys that are 6'5" and crazy athletic.
Both of these deals were at the deadline of the given year.

Which we all know changes teams needs.

Right now, as of September 2023, what team is offering that?

I'm not saying Vladar won't have value, just right now, there's not many teams paying that price. Hold on to him, wait for a team to have a goalie go down, and bam, you get what you want.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Both of these deals were at the deadline of the given year.

Which we all know changes teams needs.

Right now, as of September 2023, what team is offering that?

I'm not saying Vladar won't have value, just right now, there's not many teams paying that price. Hold on to him, wait for a team to have a goalie go down, and bam, you get what you want.
Yes, especially this season with no cap space. Flames have all their trade chips at the worst possible time.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad