G Cayden Primeau (2017, 199th, MTL)

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Not sure Price will be the undisputed starter the back half of his contract. Even elite goaltenders experience significant drop off on average as they go through their 30s. Seems like a long time off before this is even a question, though.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ya will be interesting. Im all for players signing with their team that drafted them and developing properly but in this case, with Price making 10.5 per year for another 7 years after this season, it makes it tough for a deadly goalie prospect to get a sniff until probably another 5 years or so.

I will admit in this situation, that is a little discouraging

This situation definately is something him and his family have discussed forsure
3 years at developing in the AHL, 1 yr as Price backup learning from the best in the game and then Price will be 35 with 3 yrs remaing to his contract, I dont see a problem personally, you then move Price at 50% retained... Also Waite is one of the best goaltending coaches in the league, it has to matter too...

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Primeau has made it pretty clear Price is his idol. Just look at his likes section of his twitter feed...I think he's already thought/dreamt about being the successor.

Like some have said in this thread, this isn't even really a topic for 4 more seasons at least. By year 7 and 8 of Price's deal, it might be a 50-50 split. Perhaps in year 8 of the Price contract, Primeau starts 45 and Price 37.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How do you think his progression compares to Carter Hart's?

IMO Hart is a unicorn. Not many young goalies can progress as fast as he has. The kid is a 20 year old rookie and is the main reason why Philly is actually close to a playoff spot

But then again when Hart was 19, he was by far the best goalie in the WHL... And so far Primeau is considered one of the best in NCAA at 19... So basically, so far so good and you couldnt ask for a better season from Primeau

Philly has always had goalie stress so Hart was drafted to a perfect situation where he could get a shot right away... Habs are in a different situation and Primeau will have to be patient to get his shot eventually

Last edited:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
IMO Hart is a unicorn. Not many young goalies can progress as fast as he has. The kid is a 20 year old rookie and is the main reason why Philly is actually close to a playoff spot

But then again when Hart was 19, he was by far the best goalie in the WHL... And so far Primeau is considered one of the best in NCAA at 19... So basically, so far so good and you couldnt ask for a better season from Primeau

Philly has always had goalie stress so Hart was drafted to a perfect situation where he could get a shot right away... Habs are in a different situation and Primeau will have to be patient to get his shot eventually

Very similar numbers to Hart in the WJC as well.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I actually really dont care where he plays. Id much prefer him staying with the organization that drafted him but im just saying in this circumstance, it could get interesting.

Id LOVE if all players just stayed grateful to the fact a team drafted him, but it doesnt happen this day in age. Alot of players want the easiest route possible to the NHL. By no means am i saying this is what Primeau is doing but im just saying how it is unfortunately.

Unsure why you go straight negative and take offense to my previous post. If you havent noticed, these type of situations actually happen.

But anyways, i cant wait to see him in NHL and obviously id love to see him in a Habs jersey one day 100%... But if not, thats how the cookie crumbles
sorry dude, this board tends to hate everything habs ;) but i think he's hinted at the fact he wants to repay habs for drafting him

Dongstoppable

Oct 12, 2017
Habs are pretty great at scouting and drafting goalies.

You'd think, but since Price we... basically haven't drafted or developed any goalies at all, even backups. Thats partially why we're stuck with Niemi, no internal options and the price for goalies was clearly high at the deadline...

neopreneur

Sponsor
Jul 12, 2004
Aylmer, Qc
You'd think, but since Price we... basically haven't drafted or developed any goalies at all, even backups. Thats partially why we're stuck with Niemi, no internal options and the price for goalies was clearly high at the deadline...
True. We had Halak though...

Goalies are super tough to project. Looking at the history of the team, the Habs have consistently been able to ice a top end goalie since forever.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Not sure Price will be the undisputed starter the back half of his contract. Even elite goaltenders experience significant drop off on average as they go through their 30s. Seems like a long time off before this is even a question, though.

Totally disagree. Goaltending is one position where I don't think there's much drop off. Heck even as recently as last season we were seeing most of the leagues best point getters (7/10) and goaltenders (Rinne, Brodeaur, Thomas won their Vezinas in 30's).

Look at the age of the current NHL starters. Outside of a handful of players there's a ton of HF certified old farts manning the crease as their teams #1. Price will be like 38 when the contract ends. Rinne is 36 and still playing strong, won the Vezina at 35. Luongo is 39. Anderson is 37. Howard is 35 in a couple of days. Lundqvist, Crawford, Quick, Dubnyk, Fleury. All these guys are hovering around their mid-30's and don't look close to being usurped. Unless a career jeopardizing injury happens I can't see Price not being a Starter even at the backend of his contract.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Totally disagree. Goaltending is one position where I don't think there's much drop off. Heck even as recently as last season we were seeing most of the leagues best point getters (7/10) and goaltenders (Rinne, Brodeaur, Thomas won their Vezinas in 30's).

Look at the age of the current NHL starters. Outside of a handful of players there's a ton of HF certified old farts manning the crease as their teams #1. Price will be like 38 when the contract ends. Rinne is 36 and still playing strong, won the Vezina at 35. Luongo is 39. Anderson is 37. Howard is 35 in a couple of days. Lundqvist, Crawford, Quick, Dubnyk, Fleury. All these guys are hovering around their mid-30's and don't look close to being usurped. Unless a career jeopardizing injury happens I can't see Price not being a Starter even at the backend of his contract.

Those guys have kept their jobs, but they are generally not nearly as good as they were a couple years ago and many of them are only 2-3 years older than Price, so not really examples for how Price might look on the back half of his deal. Statistically save percentage goes down on average over a goalie's 30s. I would say Luongo was the only one of those goalies who was consistently good over his 30s. Maybe Rinne. And both had their share of starts go down between 35 and 37.

If Primeau looks like an NHL starter in 2 to 4 years I'd expect the Habs to give him a decent share of starts. Especially with how they're already limiting Price's practice shot load to preserve him - it shows they're already wary of Price getting tired/injured.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

We did sign Lindgren who's looked really good for the most part in the ahl and nhl.
We also signed Mcniven who later won CHL goaltender of the year
and finally drafted Hawkey who's done pretty well for a 6th round pick

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Is there a goalie prospect that's hotter than this kid right now?

Samsonov? Hart? Who else?

What a steal for the ages in the 7th round.

Ya it seems like he could soon be entering the group of the usual guys like Hart, Sorokin, Shestyorkin, Samsonov type guys if he keeps rolling. The potential next up n coming young NHL studs

Last edited:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Is there a goalie prospect that's hotter than this kid right now?

Samsonov? Hart? Who else?

What a steal for the ages in the 7th round.

Not Samsonov, he's been pretty bad all year, he started turning it around in the new year, but fell apart again in March. Ingram and Starrett are playing great at the AHL level. Korenar was too until he had a terrible March.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Habs may have a 7th round NHLer for the first time since Sergei Kostitsyn. Jakes Evans and Brett Stapley not looking bad either. Robidas was our last long term NHLer drafted in the 7th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad