G Cayden Primeau (2017, 199th, MTL)

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
My friend and I have been watching this kid for a year and a half now and he is going to be one of the most sought after goalies of the 2017 Draft. He has great side-to-side movement, decent athleticism and is calm in net. He needs to work on his rebound control and tracking the puck better. I have no doubt he will be a top flight goalie prospect once he rounds out his game. Cayden is currently committed to Northeastern University for his Draft +1 season. He is the son of Keith and the nephew of Wayne.

Maybe it's just because I watch the Sharks a lot, but his current stylistic comparable, for me, is Martin Jones.

Here is his eliteprospects page: Link

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kid is having a pretty great season so far for a freshman goalie in a pretty tough conference.

Still surprised Detroit didn’t draft him, given he is Keith’s son.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
And Montreal took him with the pick they obtained from the Flyers, Keith's other main team.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
.931 save percentage as a freshman (young freshman), and now .935 save percentage as a sophomore plus he showed out at the WJC.

How high has he climbed up goalie prospect rankings? Has go to be top 10 I'd imagine.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
went below .938 only once (.917) in his last 10 games
2 shutouts in this timespan

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Primeau has been fantastic over the past two season. So far a huge steal in the draft.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
he's a habs prospect so he must be either shit, over-hyped, still young, unproven..what am i missing?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
.931 save percentage as a freshman (young freshman), and now .935 save percentage as a sophomore plus he showed out at the WJC.

How high has he climbed up goalie prospect rankings? Has go to be top 10 I'd imagine.
not according to the HF amateur scouts on this board. if you look at goalie prospect threads, he's not in any top 10s

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He should be talked about as much as Sabres top prospect Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, both are amazing talents...

I know UPL gets more press, but Primeau is 5 months younger and has 2 college seasons under his belt with a better Save %.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ive heard nothing but unreal things about the guy...sorta crappy for him though being drafted to a team that has one of the best goalie in the world and signed for a VERY long time.

But i guess he will head to AHL once signed and start developing for a few years. Or could this be a situation where he sees it will be a while until he sets foot in the NHL and decides to play 2 more seasons in NCAA and does the UFA thing?.. He would still only be 21 when that time arrives in a couple years

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Ive heard nothing but unreal things about the guy...sorta crappy for him though being drafted to a team that has one of the best goalie in the world and signed for a VERY long time.

But i guess he will head to AHL once signed and start developing for a few years. Or could this be a situation where he sees it will be a while until he sets foot in the NHL and decides to play 2 more seasons in NCAA and does the UFA thing?.. He would still only be 21 when that time arrives in a couple years
Yeah that could be very interesting. I wonder what Montreal would do if after next year, he informs them hes going back for his 4th year. I would think they would look to move him. And if he were moved in the offseason, it would be interesting if that would change his mind about a 4th year.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah that could be very interesting. I wonder what Montreal would do if after next year, he informs them hes going back for his 4th year. I would think they would look to move him. And if he were moved in the offseason, it would be interesting if that would change his mind about a 4th year.

Ya will be interesting. Im all for players signing with their team that drafted them and developing properly but in this case, with Price making 10.5 per year for another 7 years after this season, it makes it tough for a deadly goalie prospect to get a sniff until probably another 5 years or so.

I will admit in this situation, that is a little discouraging

This situation definately is something him and his family have discussed forsure

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Ya will be interesting. Im all for players signing with their team that drafted them and developing properly but in this case, with Price making 10.5 per year for another 7 years after this season, it makes it tough for a deadly goalie prospect to get a sniff until probably another 5 years or so.

This situation definately is something him and his family have discussed forsure
reads more like wishful thinking on your part. how about this? He's grateful to the habs for acquiring the pick - they traded philly for it - in order to take a chance on him and now he gets to apprentice with one of the great goalies in the NHL and gets to succeed him around age 24? nah eh? it's the habs. something shit has gotta happen right ?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
reads more like wishful thinking on your part. how about this? He's grateful to the habs for acquiring the pick - they traded philly for it - in order to take a chance on him and now he gets to apprentice with one of the great goalies in the NHL and gets to succeed him around age 24? nah eh? it's the habs. something **** has gotta happen right ?

I actually really dont care where he plays. Id much prefer him staying with the organization that drafted him but im just saying in this circumstance, it could get interesting.

Id LOVE if all players just stayed grateful to the fact a team drafted him, but it doesnt happen this day in age. Alot of players want the easiest route possible to the NHL. By no means am i saying this is what Primeau is doing but im just saying how it is unfortunately.

Unsure why you go straight negative and take offense to my previous post. If you havent noticed, these type of situations actually happen.

But anyways, i cant wait to see him in NHL and obviously id love to see him in a Habs jersey one day 100%... But if not, thats how the cookie crumbles

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

How does it make hard to get a sniff? Price is the starter, but there is still a backup role... Primeau will need at least a few season as a backup before becoming an nhl starter. We're talking about 5 years later maybe, and a lot can happen in 5 years.

Furthermore, there is no better way to develop as a goaltender then by watching Price in practice/games and working with the goalie coach (Waite) who helped Price become who he is today.

Reactions: Acadien86

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How does it make hard to get a sniff? Price is the starter, but there is still a backup role... Primeau will need at least a few season as a backup before becoming an nhl starter. We're talking about 5 years later maybe, and a lot can happen in 5 years.

Furthermore, there is no better way to develop as a goaltender then by watching Price in practice/games and working with the goalie coach (Waite) who helped Price become who he is today.

He will be in the AHL for first few seasons, not an NHL backup. Thats bad development to have a deadly young player not playing

Hey i am fully on board if he agrees to sign and spends a few years in AHL and then a few years as a backup after. Again, i am just saying that may not be appealing to alot of players. But i hope for Primeau it is

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Goalies take a longer time to develop usually. But man would it be a perfect transition that when Primeau is ready the organization can trade Price or use them as a 50/50 tandem. Of course I don't see neither happening as Price has NMC and is attached to Montreal and he won't accept the role of #2 under his contract for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad