Line Combos: Fwd lines

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I like part of the idea of the lines--you keep the 1st line together with Ruzicka because it HAS been working, and I especially like the idea of getting Hubdereau with a defensively responsible transition centre in Backlund (especially now that he's playing some of the best early season hockey i've seen from him).

I very much do not like putting Lucic where he is, and maintaining Lewis on the 3rd line. I just... I don't know how to describe it but there's no world I can imagine where simply shuttling the 4th line with bad players and playing them 8 minutes a night isn't the best path forward with this roster. We've been saying for a while how the Flames are about 1 man off of making a complete top 9--the Flames just got that guy in Ruzicka. That shouldn't suddenly entail making a roster built around running everyone ~15 minutes a night. At the very least put Coleman with Kadri and Mangiapane after 1 game.

But still, I'll take top 6 Lucic in exchange for 1st line Ruzicka and a Huberdeau - Backlund pairing any day of the week.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Huberdeau with Kadri seems like a no-brainer.

In camp, Sutter made a big deal about how upset he was that he couldn't find wingers that could stick with Naz, so he tries Lucic before Huberdeau?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Huberdeau is back practicing with the team and Sutter is really throwing those lines into a blender.

I don't hate these for the Kings game. Obviously not any longevity to these but for tonight I think could bring some motivation.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Also am I the only one pumped we aren’t running 2 defenseman on our second power play anymore even if it means adding Lucic? The league almost exclusively has realized that 4 and 1 is the way to go, and some teams are even exploring 5 forward set ups (which I’m also not a fan of). Should result in them actually starting to generate chances.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I don't hate these for the Kings game. Obviously not any longevity to these but for tonight I think could bring some motivation.
F*CK this team is not making the playoffs if they need Lucic on the 2nd line and Huberdeau on the 3rd line. They better not trade that 2023 1st Rd pick to try and fix this teams wingers

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Isn´t Huberdeau as a creative forward ideal partner for goalscorer Mangiapane?

Definitely the best fit we have as a winger but who would be the best center for them without going back to being a one line team. The real problem is we need another forward to really fit everyone in the top 9 together in a way that will bring the best out of everyone so its a lot of mixing and matching and hoping.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lucic really has no business being on the 2nd line with Kadri and Mangiapane.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Yeesh. I would have hated to see this thread if they lost or scored 2 goals in the game again.

When players need to get going, playing them with Backlund is never a bad thing.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
With Ruzicka going from pressbox to point per game 1st line winger, Rooney is surely done no?

The hell was Treliving thinking giving him 2 years? Barely made it to double digit games played in his Flames career before it ended. I'm sure Sutter will scratch someone soon and Rooney will draw back in, but what a useless signing/player. Even Lucic when he isn't scoring is hitting and causing turnovers in the offensive zone and Ritchie has played his ass off and deserves to stay on the team, he's like 4th on the team for goals scored lmao (I'll still never forgive him for concussing Monahan on a cheap hit though).

I don't know who you pull out, but the team can't have Lewis and Lucic both in the top 9 and realisticallyif we're actually going to compete for the Cup neither should be in the top 9, but we all know this.

Also, I'm fine with Huberdeau with Backlund IF he still gets 20+ minutes a night like he should be getting AND he doesn't have to play with Lewis for an extended period of time. He should be setting up Mangiapane or Dube or both. Huberdeau-Dube-Mangiapane would be a dope line.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I truly do not understand Sutter sometimes.

Last night was literally the perfect opportunity to get Huberdeau rolling and feeling good - and yet, he finishes the game with just 14:25 minutes of icetime. Meanwhile Trevor Lewis plays 16 minutes - despite being directly responsible for the Kings second goal against - and Lucic almost doubled up #10's time on the PP.

There was not a single game last year in which Huberdeau played less than he did last night. This is a guy who scored 115 points and routinely showed the ability to effectively play upwards of 22/23 minutes a night. This is a player who when he's running hot can create offense at a level that very few other's can. Sutter has fumbled the bag massively to start the year in terms integrating this player into his lineup.

I just don't get it. We are a team that ranks bottom five in finishing ability and is it really any wonder why when Trevor Lewis, Milan Lucic, and Brett Ritchie are playing comparable even strength minutes to the league's 2nd leading scorer from a year ago?

Reactions: super6646

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I truly do not understand Sutter sometimes.

Last night was literally the perfect opportunity to get Huberdeau rolling and feeling good - and yet, he finishes the game with just 14:25 minutes of icetime. Meanwhile Trevor Lewis plays 16 minutes - despite being directly responsible for the Kings second goal against - and Lucic almost doubled up #10's time on the PP.

There was not a single game last year in which Huberdeau played less than he did last night. This is a guy who scored 115 points and routinely showed the ability to effectively play upwards of 22/23 minutes a night. This is a player who when he's running hot can create offense at a level that very few other's can. Sutter has fumbled the bag massively to start the year in terms integrating this player into his lineup.

I just don't get it. We are a team that ranks bottom five in finishing ability and is it really any wonder why when Trevor Lewis, Milan Lucic, and Brett Ritchie are playing comparable even strength minutes to the league's 2nd leading scorer from a year ago?
At this point I'd encourage you to accept that what you see from a player isn't what Darryl cares about. I'm not saying he's infallible. He's just not evaluating players the same way as fans and media. He has two rings, and a short shelf life. Best not to stress over it.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
At this point I'd encourage you to accept that what you see from a player isn't what Darryl cares about. I'm not saying he's infallible. He's just not evaluating players the same way as fans and media. He has two rings, and a short shelf life. Best not to stress over it.

If he keeps playing 4th line grinders over actually talented players like Huberdeau and Kadri, then that short shelf life is gonna get a whole lot shorter

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

He’s just pointing out the reality of it. It’s kinda pathetic Lewis is seeing 16 minutes a night

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Tkachuk was averaging 13-14 mins of ice time when Sutter first took over in 2020. He was 7th or 8th in minutes for a while. I have no doubt that Huberdeau's minutes will drastically increase once he ticks all of Sutter's boxes.

I'm more annoyed that Sutter doesn't care about shortening his bench when we need a goal in the 3rd. There's no reason we should be blindly rolling four lines in critical game situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad