Line Combos: Fwd lines

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
As the preseason draws to a close I think we are beginning to see some interesting fwd line combinations.
I think the first line, as we've seen so far of Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli is pretty well guaranteed to start the season. I really enjoyed watching last nights 2nd and 3rd lines of Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube and Rooney-Backlund-Coleman. As for the 4th line, I have no idea other than it will likely be Lucic & Lewis with player X.
So... what do you think about those top 3 lines? I've written off the 4th line as being strictly lunch bucket.

flames lines.JPG

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What website is that, daily faceoff? Can those clowns upload the proper jersey number font

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What website is that, daily faceoff? Can those clowns upload the proper jersey number font
Hey... just be happy that I provided a picture to go along with the words... for you. ;)

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
We really need an upgrade for the top line, I don't think Toffoli is good enough. Other than that, I like these lines to start the season.

Reactions: Tofveve

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
We really need an upgrade for the top line, I don't think Toffoli is good enough. Other than that, I like these lines to start the season.
Toffoli hasn't shown much this preseason but that's not unusual for experienced pros that are pretty much guaranteed a job come opening day. Plus he has a centerman he has very little experience playing with and a LW who he's never played with before. Give him time. I'm sure his play will improve and prove you wrong.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
We need to add a top 6 winger. I would trade Kylington and Dube to get it done.
It would depend on the winger in question, and their contract. But I don't know if I do that immediately. If we extend Weegar I'm definitely open to trading Kylington, but before that gets done, that's a big risk if Weegar ends up walking.

And Dube had such a good ending to last season, and him coming in as the most fit in camp, shows how seriously he's taking things. This could be the year he takes that step as a more consistent player and becomes an annual 25 goal guy, in that case he's a younger, cheaper option for the top 6/middle 9.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Toffoli hasn't shown much this preseason but that's not unusual for experienced pros that are pretty much guaranteed a job come opening day. Plus he has a centerman he has very little experience playing with and a LW who he's never played with before. Give him time. I'm sure his play will improve and prove you wrong.
He hasn't done anything since coming here.

I'm still waiting to be proven wrong.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I really hope he does but based on last season and what I've seen so far of the pre-season I don't have much faith in him. I believe he will put up decent numbers but I think an upgrade will really solidify the team as contenders.

Reactions: CF Magic

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It would depend on the winger in question, and their contract. But I don't know if I do that immediately. If we extend Weegar I'm definitely open to trading Kylington, but before that gets done, that's a big risk if Weegar ends up walking.

And Dube had such a good ending to last season, and him coming in as the most fit in camp, shows how seriously he's taking things. This could be the year he takes that step as a more consistent player and becomes an annual 25 goal guy, in that case he's a younger, cheaper option for the top 6/middle 9.
I hope you’re right, I like Dube a lot and it would be great if this was his year.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm expecting about 4 goals from that 3rd line without Mangi they will struggle mightily
I'm seeing the 3rd line as a checking line. It will be a nice change from the 2nd line being that. The first two lines provide offense. The 3rd matches up against the opposition's top line. and the 4th... well it just tries to survive out there and not get scored on.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'm seeing the 3rd line as a checking line. It will be a nice change from the 2nd line being that. The first two lines provide offense. The 3rd matches up against the opposition's top line. and the 4th... well it just tries to survive out there and not get scored on.
A good checking line can still score the current lineup is 1 injury away from us being a 1 line team

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Toffoli is a slow middle 6 scoring wing not a top line winger, I am sure he will become more engaged in the games once pre-season is done but he will never prove out to be an effective top line winger.
However Sutter will keep him on the top line and probably gift him pp1 minutes as well cause LA Stanley Cup connection

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Toffoli is a slow middle 6 scoring wing not a top line winger, I am sure he will become more engaged in the games once pre-season is done but he will never prove out to be an effective top line winger.
However Sutter will keep him on the top line and probably gift him pp1 minutes as well cause LA Stanley Cup connection
Granted I give you that Toffoli is better suited to play the wing on the 2nd or 3rd line but I think with a full season with Huberdeau and Lindholm as his linemates he will perform adequately and will end up with 25 goals and 50+ pts this season. I'll be happy with that because the Flames can't afford a bona fide top line RW cap wise and what we would have to give up to even get one would be way too expensive IMO.
As for PP1 minutes, I don't expect that at all.... not with Huberdeau, Lindholm, Kadri, and Mangiapane available. I expect to see him on the 2nd PP though.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He hasn't done anything since coming here.

I'm still waiting to be proven wrong.
He's been here for 37 games and a short playoff run. You're not really going out on a limb with the critique.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
My only hope is Backlund is able to save this sorry bottom 6 group from being a catastrophe.
Don’t really see why people are saying the bottom 6 is bad when we should have an above average third line. Backlund and Coleman were underwhelming second line players, but are pretty elite third liners. Backlund and Coleman are very productive though as far as third liners go. Both should also see a positive regression this season for goal scoring as they both had the worst shooting percentage of their careers last year. Rooney won’t provide much offense but he should help make them a more complete shutdown line.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don’t really see why people are saying the bottom 6 is bad when we should have an above average third line. Backlund and Coleman were underwhelming second line players, but are pretty elite third liners. Backlund and Coleman are very productive though as far as third liners go. Both should also see a positive regression this season for goal scoring as they both had the worst shooting percentage of their careers last year. Rooney won’t provide much offense but he should help make them a more complete shutdown line.

Coleman's career high is 36pts. Pretty good 2 way guy but hardly elite. Rooney's is 14pts and he's 29 years old. If he's our third line winger opening night we're in trouble.

If they sign Eakin for 4C our entire bottom 6 will be over 30 except Rooney. In fact most of our roster are post apex players, another reason why it would have been nice to see some youth break through.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Coleman's career high is 36pts. Pretty good 2 way guy but hardly elite. Rooney's is 14pts and he's 29 years old. If he's our third line winger opening night we're in trouble.

If they sign Eakin for 4C our entire bottom 6 will be over 30 except Rooney. In fact most of our roster are post apex players, another reason why it would have been nice to see some youth break through.
It's hard when the coaching staff doesn't want to give the youth a fair shake and has pre-defined roles (like a 4th line should be grinders who are offensively useless...)

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

Pretty disingenuous when Coleman also has 2 seasons at roughly a 50 point pace during the pandemic and 3 season of over a 20 goal pace. He also was scoring at a 30 goal pace for New Jersey before going to the Lightning. If he shoots at his percentage he did his previous 2 seasons for us last year he gets 24 goals.

Backlund and Coleman make up a pretty elite 3rd line pair, this board just has a lot of vitriol right now because they haven’t appreciated who has been tried at the 3LW spot so far. For the matchups they’ll be getting, it most likely won’t be a player who provides offense but little defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4