Futureconsiderations 2020 draft rankings

Peeps

May 24, 2017
Lundell Lafreniere Byfield and Raymond is a stacked top 4. Teams will be very happy drafting top 4 next year.

Edit: Yeah Holtz is one hell of a prospect too. That top 5 is lethal.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Lundell Lafreniere Byfield and Raymond is a stacked top 4. Teams will be very happy drafting top 4 next year.

Edit: Yeah Holtz is one hell of a prospect too. That top 5 is lethal.
The depth of talent in the class is even more notable than the quality at the top.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
This is a great list. Your top 10 players all in my top 12. Besides me having Byfield a few spots lower, the order is similar as well.

One glaring omission is Martin Chromiak. His production and skill set qualify him as one of he best Slovak prospects in the last decade.

Another is Tyrel Bauer, a big RHD who was a top 4 shutdown defenseman for Seattle. Showed flashes of offensive upside and he can really skate.

Looking forward to seeing both on your list when the season starts and heads turn.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Byfield is going #1

Center 6'4 Skates
He'll have to have a crazy year to pass Lafreniere. I'm no stat watcher but 105 in 61 vs 61 in 64 in similar leagues... I know which one I'm taking. Taking Byfield over Lafreniere is over-analysis.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
And that's something we don't know yet, last season he did get ten games (two goals, no assists) but there needs to be more. In juniors his season was probably the best of as young player since William Nylander.

No thats what I kind of saying, its a lot of guessing, yeah specially from me, Im not a scout, just some guy with opinions.

But I really like the way he (Lucas Raymond) think and play hockey, its above average for sure, and fun to watch.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
He'll have to have a crazy year to pass Lafreniere. I'm no stat watcher but 105 in 61 vs 61 in 64 in similar leagues... I know which one I'm taking. Taking Byfield over Lafreniere is over-analysis.

Stats watching is never the right thing to do and even if you were to put any emphasis on this, you have to remember Lafreniere is a late bday which means he just played his 2nd full season in the Q and is entering his 3rd. Byfield was a rookie.

Byfield rookie season 29 goals, 61 pts
Lafreniere rookie season 42 goals, 80 pts

So, the gap isn't as large as you thought

But still, teams will salivate at the thought of getting a 6'4 center like Byfield. It's gonna be an interesting race.

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Stats watching is never the right thing to do and even if you were to put any emphasis on this, you have to remember Lafreniere is a late bday which means he just played his 2nd full season in the Q and is entering his 3rd. Byfield was a rookie.

Byfield rookie season 29 goals, 61 pts
Lafreniere rookie season 42 goals, 80 pts

So, the gap isn't as large as you thought

But still, teams will salivate at the thought of getting a 6'4 center like Byfield. It's gonna be an interesting race.
You also have to consider Lafreniere was what, 15, 16? when he put up 80 points. There's more reasons I think Lafreniere is better than just stats, I was just trying to illustrate how good he is. I think Lafreniere's hockey IQ is far superior, specifically his playmaking vision. Byfield may have more physical tools, but Lafreniere knows how to use his tools more efficiently.

d rake

Jan 7, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
You also have to consider Lafreniere was what, 15, 16? when he put up 80 points. There's more reasons I think Lafreniere is better than just stats, I was just trying to illustrate how good he is. I think Lafreniere's hockey IQ is far superior, specifically his playmaking vision. Byfield may have more physical tools, but Lafreniere knows how to use his tools more efficiently.
Byfield was only 2 months older than Lafrenière during his rookie season.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Raymond is the best swe foward prospect in a long time if you disregard pettersson.

He seems mentally stable also, i mean who scores a hat-trick in a final?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Lafreniere was a 16-year-old in his rookie season, just like Byfield. Scouting and drafting is also about more than judging who is the better junior player when you pick; it's about projecting who is going to be the better NHL player.

Ask yourself this: In five years, who will be the better NHL player? Will it be Lafreniere or Byfield? Right now, Byfield can physically dominate junior players, but will that dominance continue in the NHL? Lafreniere's dominance is based more on hockey sense ... It's an interesting conversation for the team with the No. 1 pick.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Bad list, expect at least 10 czechs in first round, czech hockey reinassance is coming. Tomas Kral and Slavomir Lener said that in 2017, just look at our supertalents matej blumel, lukas parik, michal teply and our best D man martin hugo has.
At least 10 Czechs in the first round?! Really? What are their names?

If you're so confident in your prediction, you should be able to provide a list. I'd love to see it.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Some more players from the Q

F Matt Choupani (played in Midget AAA this past season to maintain NCAA eligibility (Northeastern 2021-22) finished 2nd in scoring behind 1st overall pick Joshua Roy with 83 pts in 42 games)
G Antoine Coulombe
G Charles-Antoine Lavallee
F William Dufour
F Marshall Lessard
F Charles Beaudoin
F Xavier Fortin
F Pier-Olivier Roy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad