Future: Sebastian Aho vs Jesse Puljujarvi

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not even voting. I'm an Oilers fan, but we haven't seen enough of Pulujarvi to really know what he is. I hope he ends up a legitimate #1RW, and I'm not sure if Aho ends up as a true top line player or just a really, really good 2nd liner, but its so hard to tell at this point.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I'm not even voting. I'm an Oilers fan, but we haven't seen enough of Pulujarvi to really know what he is. I hope he ends up a legitimate #1RW, and I'm not sure if Aho ends up as a true top line player or just a really, really good 2nd liner, but its so hard to tell at this point.

After years of following the NHL progression of prospects, I think I can safely say barring a minor catastraphe, Aho will be a at least a first liner. One could argue he was pushing that boundary as a 19/20 year old in his first NHL season last year.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Puljujarvi has doesn't seem to have the brain to be effective in the NHL. Heck, he wasn't even very good in the AHL.

Aho until further notice.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Sebastian Aho. I don't think it'll be that close, either.

Aho's u19 season was already more impressive than Puljujärvi's, at least in my opinion.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Aho had an incredibly impressive year the last season. He doesn't have the absolute ceiling of Pujlu but he's by far the safer pick.

He's also very committed defensively as well with an active stick. Would have been a coup if the Leafs had taken him with our 2nd that year.

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
Aho had an incredibly impressive year the last season. He doesn't have the absolute ceiling of Pujlu but he's by far the safer pick.

He's also very committed defensively as well with an active stick. Would have been a coup if the Leafs had taken him with our 2nd that year.

Don't be greedy you guys already have way too many good forward prospects ;)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Pulujarvi was fine in the AHL. Not sure where you got that idea from.

I'm not sure where the no hockey IQ myth came from with Pulujarvi.

You watched him play in the same team, league and situations as Sebastian Aho - It was pretty clear.

You watched 18-year-old Sebastian Aho playing in WHC and notching 7 points, including a very clutch performance against Russia in the semi finals to bring Finland to finals.

You watched 19-year-old Jesse Puljujärvi be consistently among the worst players of his WHC team and getting 0 points.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Puljujarvi has doesn't seem to have the brain to be effective in the NHL. Heck, he wasn't even very good in the AHL.

Aho until further notice.

I think I agree with the last sentiment, its Aho until JP proves otherwise.

The other two statements are pretty vague. "effective?" as in an effective top line player? Or effective in any role at an NHL level? I think you mean the latter, which is silly.

Also, 28 points in 39gp is nothing to scoff at for a 19 year old playing his first year pro and first year on the NA ice surface. Only player I know of who did better than that is Nylander

ijuka

May 14, 2016

The other two statements are pretty vague. "effective?" as in an effective top line player? Or effective in any role at an NHL level? I think you mean the latter, which is silly.

Also, 28 points in 39gp is nothing to scoff at for a 19 year old playing his first year pro and first year on the NA ice surface. Only player I know of who did better than that is Nylander

28 points in 39gp is fine and all, but the comparison still is to a player who scored 45 points in 45 games in Liiga(which means higher NHLe).

Also, Sebastian Aho's Liiga season wasn't good only for the points. He had 20 goals, 8 of which were game winners. He averaged over 2 minutes of PK per game. His +/- was +26. 45 goals for and 19 against.

Now, Sebastian Aho did not play in NHL which Puljujärvi did. So that's something. On the other hand, Aho does now have a very impressive rookie season as well as a very impressive 19-year-old WHC performance under his belt as well. I'd be quite surprised if Puljujärvi managed to accomplish that.

Let's not forget that Puljujärvi had a far stronger junior career, by the way. The trajectory's been far steeper for Sebastian Aho, which promises higher future improvement as well.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Pastrnak, Filatov, and Rantanen (unless you meant to say 18 and not 19). Here's a list of everyone in there u-19 year in the AHL.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...amname=&nation=&nationname=&age=u19&order=PPG

Here's a list of everyone in there u-20. There is no way to make it rookies only.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...amname=&nation=&nationname=&age=u20&order=PPG

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Pulju really needs to step it up to catch aho. I think Aho will be slightly better. At this point im not 100% that pulju pans out altho im about 90% sute he does

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
28 points in 39gp is fine and all, but the comparison still is to a player who scored 45 points in 45 games in Liiga(which means higher NHLe).

Also, Sebastian Aho's Liiga season wasn't good only for the points. He had 20 goals, 8 of which were game winners. He averaged over 2 minutes of PK per game. His +/- was +26. 45 goals for and 19 against.

Now, Sebastian Aho did not play in NHL which Puljujärvi did. So that's something. On the other hand, Aho does now have a very impressive rookie season as well as a very impressive 19-year-old WHC performance under his belt as well. I'd be quite surprised if Puljujärvi managed to accomplish that.

Let's not forget that Puljujärvi had a far stronger junior career, by the way. The trajectory's been far steeper for Sebastian Aho, which promises higher future improvement as well.

Thanks for this, I would think most people voting in this thread are not fully educated on the two players in terms of their careers, so this is helpful.

I think another serious factor to consider is playing with McDavid/Draisaitl. Although of course that playing with better players does not make JP better, it will probably inflate his stats. Something to consider

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
It's not really fair to compare these guys right now. One is a proven NHLer, the other is still working on it. Let Puljujarvi solidify himself a spot on the Oilers' roster before comparing them. Went with too close to call.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Having watched both since they were 16, for me it's Aho AINEC.

Have never been a fan of Pulju, nothing against him, but just don't see him as an elite player in the NHL. Aho i think has a better future than a lot of people think.

Aho has a clear identity to his game. He knows exactly how he has to play and what he is. Pulju i still don't know what he is. It's like he wants to be a star skill forward, but he doesn't have the elite puck control for that.. He's not really a trigger man, albeit flashes a good shot every now and then, he's not really a playmaker either, even though he can generate chances with getting pucks to the net and his speed, and he's not really a 2-way forward either. It's like he has all kinds of tools, just not really particularly elite at anything, and im not convinced he puts it all together. And even if he does, i can't see more than 60 points and that's the best case scenario. Aho i think has 60+ pts and selke potential.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad