Future: Sebastian Aho vs Jesse Puljujarvi

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That's interesting- I think Pujlu is a top prospect myself. But they weighed age very heavily in that- look how big of a score gap Pujlu has over others in that category.

Very, very heavily. That list makes it seem like Puljujärvi actually had a clearly better season than Guentzel, for instance, who scored 42 points in 33 games.

He did have a very good season for his age, of course, but I'd really prefer it if lists like that were compared without factoring in the age, and letting us do that sort of weighing for the age ourselves. It makes it seem like he actually was the best u22 player in AHL by far.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Aho, he'll be an awesome fw, in the mold of Zetterberg (not as good)

Why couldnt he become as good?

Zetterberg was 22 turning 23 in his rookie season while aho was 19. Z scored 44 points aho 49.. so far aho is younger and outproducing him in a harder (im presuming here) era. Thats not to say he will develope and become as good but its certainly a possibility. Why do you think he wong?

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Aho easily.

Bulju might have the better skillset but their hockey IQ's are at the opposite sides of the spectrum.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Aho will carry whole Hurricanes and Pulju will be carried by McDavid.

Aho is better individual, but Pulju could score more.

Last edited:

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Why couldnt he become as good?

Zetterberg was 22 turning 23 in his rookie season while aho was 19. Z scored 44 points aho 49.. so far aho is younger and outproducing him in a harder (im presuming here) era. Thats not to say he will develope and become as good but its certainly a possibility. Why do you think he wong?

Now dont be down ya'll. They entered the league in different eras, on different roles, yada yada. I could go on, but I dont think that will sway you. That's my opinion, you dont have to agree if you dont want to

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Now dont be down ya'll. They entered the league in different eras, on different roles, yada yada. I could go on, but I dont think that will sway you. That's my opinion, you dont have to agree if you dont want to

I wasent really disagreeing i just wanted to know why you think he cant become as good as a player...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If both reach their potential it could be like comparing Zetterberg to Selanne.

If they both pan out really well, I would make it a similar comparison to what Zetterberg prime is compared to Wheeler prime. And as much as I like Wheeler, I have to say that prime Zetterberg was a way better player still.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Puljujarvi has doesn't seem to have the brain to be effective in the NHL. Heck, he wasn't even very good in the AHL.

Aho until further notice.

Youve decided this after 40 games as an 18 year old...

Its Aho but puljujarvi could easily evolve into a Marian Hossa style player.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
I wasent really disagreeing i just wanted to know why you think he cant become as good as a player...

I see. No, I dont think he'll become a hall of famer, or have that peak that Z had. You're totally disregarding what Z did on an international level prior his NHL debut, but 'm not gonna say anything more on this matter :)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I see. No, I dont think he'll become a hall of famer, or have that peak that Z had. You're totally disregarding what Z did on an international level prior his NHL debut, but 'm not gonna say anything more on this matter :)

International level? Surely Aho's international performances up to this point are far more impressive?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It is fascinating how selective memory can sometimes be. Anyway, here is the comparison of the 22 year old Zetterberg and 19 year old Aho in men's international play.

Zetterberg:
played games 51, points 8+19=27
PPG 0,53

Aho:
played games 31, points 8+17=25
PPG 0,81

So Aho was three years younger in international play, played 20 games less than the 22 year old Zetterberg and still managed to score as much goals, almost as much points and with a way better PPG.

So lets just wait and see if he will become as good as Zetterberg was in his prime. He for sure is better than Zetterberg was as a 19 year old, so it should not at least be impossible to reach the same level in his prime. I will not claim it happens for sure, but I think it is not correct to claim the opposite as a sure thing either.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Umm . . . what?

Aho's international career to date is much more impressive than what we saw from Zetterberg. He's got one of the best international resumes of any u-23 player out there.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
And that's when you're wrong.

It is like he taped together every stat where Puljujarvi looked good into an "algorithm" and then arbitrarily weighted it heavily by Puljujarvi's most differentiating factor - age (which is somewhat flawed due to the lack of any 18 year old CHLers ability to even play in the AHL).

Guentzel more than doubled Puljujarvi's goals and points production. Guentzel then came up and destroyed the NHL playoffs (essentially proving his AHL production was real). Yet he is 6th on a list ranking AHL player potential next to Peter Cehlarik? Yikes.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Considering Aho is a contributing NHL player and pulj is destined for another AHL season Aho is the run away winner here. Pulj should have a good career as a tweener, mainly a 3rd line winger with the ability to play 2nd line mins in a very limited role.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Considering Aho is a contributing NHL player and pulj is destined for another AHL season Aho is the run away winner here. Pulj should have a good career as a tweener, mainly a 3rd line winger with the ability to play 2nd line mins in a very limited role.

Why is Puljujarvi destined for another AHL season? You know how old he is, right?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I think people forget that Puljujarvi just turned 19 and already has NHL and AHL experience. Most top prospects his age are still developing in juniors. He was not ready for the NHL at age 18 and that's completely normal. I don't get how people can say he has low hockey IQ... he wasn't physically or mentally ready for the NHL, it doesn't mean his hockey IQ is suddenly low.

Seguin had 22 pts his rookie year, did that mean his hockey IQ was low? Johansen also had 21 pts his rookie year.. his hockey IQ isn't low.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It is like he taped together every stat where Puljujarvi looked good into an "algorithm" and then arbitrarily weighted it heavily by Puljujarvi's most differentiating factor - age (which is somewhat flawed due to the lack of any 18 year old CHLers ability to even play in the AHL).

Guentzel more than doubled Puljujarvi's goals and points production. Guentzel then came up and destroyed the NHL playoffs (essentially proving his AHL production was real). Yet he is 6th on a list ranking AHL player potential next to Peter Cehlarik? Yikes.

He did say that the score is based on 5v5 eP1/60, Age adjustment to 22, and a contribution from total shot rate in the form of eSh/60. JP's still a legit high end prospect.

And I don't really care about Guentzel. JP getting written off this early reminds me exactly of the Draisaitl bashers after his rookie season where Bennett fanboys were labeling him as a lazy and slow bust.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He did say that the score is based on 5v5 eP1/60, Age adjustment to 22, and a contribution from total shot rate in the form of eSh/60. JP's still a legit high end prospect.

And I don't really care about Guentzel. JP getting written off this early reminds me exactly of the Draisaitl bashers after his rookie season where Bennett fanboys were labeling him as a lazy and slow bust.

The issue with the chart is that it places Puljujärvi at the top with a massive margin - Making it appear like he had by far the best season out of any u22 player. That's misleading.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The issue with the chart is that it places Puljujärvi at the top with a massive margin - Making it appear like he had by far the best season out of any u22 player. That's misleading.

That's a fair point. I still believe he'll adjust to the NHL. He has all of the work tools to become a successful player. He'll also have Jokinen to mentor him, and from what I've seen, Jokinen played a big part on mentoring Barkov too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->