Speculation: Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
You know, after the last couple of weeks of play, I kind of want to see the Stars experiment with Daley in the off season and see if he can play left wing. He's fast, his breakaway goals have been awesome, why not? I like Daley, but I really want to see the D corps get a little more balanced either in Handedness or Size. From distance his shot always goes wide, but most of his best offensive play this year has come on the breakaway or whenever he has snuck down or carried the puck low. We know hes good on getting into the zone. Basically, I want to improve the D, and you cant do that without subtracting a couple of our current D, but I wouldn't mind finding a way to keep Daley on the team.

Daley doesn't have the offensive instincts to play forward. He'd be a third liner, likely with not much higher production then he has now.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
Wanted to say a couple of thing about the persistent feeling of "We need a 50-60pt 2nd line center (ala Stastny)".

1) we were 10th in scorning this year with the 23rd best pp. Anaheim was 1st in scoring with the 22nd best power play
2) Anaheim's 2nd line center had 43 pts (perreault).
3) Dallas had 9 forwards with 30 pts (if you will allow two who had 29, cole and roussel)

The point of the above is that an elite scoring 2nd center is not specifically what we need. The best thing we can do to improve is improve our power play and 2nd line center is just one of many ways to do that.

A defenseman better than Gonchar would help as much if not more IMO.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Wanted to say a couple of thing about the persistent feeling of "We need a 50-60pt 2nd line center (ala Stastny)".

1) we were 10th in scorning this year with the 23rd best pp. Anaheim was 1st in scoring with the 22nd best power play
3) Dallas had 9 forwards with 30 pts (if you will allow two who had 29, cole and roussel)

The point of the above is that an elite scoring 2nd center is not specifically what we need. The best thing we can do to improve is improve our power play and 2nd line center is just one of many ways to do that.

Richards is a potential solution to both the PP and the second line centre issue.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
The reason I think we need to focus on 2nd line and D is because I don't see Garbs and Rous producing as much next year. Ya, Val will produce more and Ritchie will be a nice addition. I'm just concerned.

If I had to choose though, D>2nd line.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
The better your 2nd line centre (or more specifically the more respect the opposition have to attend to your 2nd line centre) the easier life would be for Seguin, particularly in playoffs

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I would still take a 51 point Brad Richards for our second line if we can. Undoubtably an upgrade on our score depth even if he isn't as good as before

Edit: mike Richards, oops

In that case, don't want to give up assets for him

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Richards' contract, huge drop off, and probably high trade price is a big turnoff.

Daley is not a winger. If they want to go that route they're better off trading him. His terrible shot from beyond 5 ft from the blue paint and questionable vision would make him a train wreck as a forward.

Kari or no Kari what are they doing about the defense? Rome and Gonchar are probably gone. That leaves six other question marks. Lots of small left handed defenders who either aren't great defenders or aren't great offensively. One right handed shot doesn't seem enough, though it's a start. Nemeth on the right would help but as good as they played I'm still reluctant on Goligoski-Daley as a long term pair. I'm absolutely not a fan of Jordie Benn and KC is a stop gap that's probably never going to get better here because he won't play. Just how radical will Nill be with this group? They've made strides but there are still flagrant issues and both Oleksiak and Klingberg aren't far off.

Is there really any chance in hell Shattenkirk could be on the market? Would Chiasson, Dillon and our 1st get the conversation started? Any interest in Bogosian?

If there's not a blockbuster deal to be made for a top 4 guy would one of Goligoski/Daley and/or Benn/KC be on the block? And yes I'm aware the value of these 4 players varies greatly. I'm just saying to improve you've actually got to subtract somewhere and add something different. You'd think these are the most obvious names.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep

An elite 2nd line center is not a must have, but it would be nice. The reason I want to see the 2nd line take more of an offensive shape is so that we can matchup better against the top teams in the central that have the firepower to outscore the Stars, specifically Avs and Hawks. The way our defense has looked and the way we can reasonably expect it to look going forward will mean we have to (continue to) outscore our opponent most nights. The best way to do this is to add to depth of our top end scoring and create a more consistent balanced scoring attack.

ItsTheCracken*

Here you go, complete rosterbation:

Benn Seguin Nichuskin
Roussel Stastny Sceviour
Bolland Eakin Ritchie
Chaisson Ott Garbutt

Myers Daley
Byfuglien Dillon
Nemeth Benn

Lehtonen
Elliot

That's right boys: Goligoski, Gonchar, Horcoff, Fidds, and Cole all gone.
Hello: Paul Stastny, Brett Ritchie, David Bolland, Steve Ott, Tyler Myers, Dustin Byfuglien and Brian Elliot

Last edited by a moderator:

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Here you go, complete rosterbation:

Benn Seguin Nichuskin
Roussel Stastny Eberle
Bolland Eakin Sceviour
Chaisson Ott Garbutt

Myers Daley
Byfuglien Dillon
Nemeth Benn

Lehtonen
Elliot

That's right boys: Goligoski, Gonchar, Horcoff, Fidds, and Cole all gone.
Hello: Paul Stastny, Jordan Eberle, David Bolland, Steve Ott, Tyler Myers, Dustin Byfuglien and Brian Elliot

Might as well go after Crosby, too.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
An elite 2nd line center is not a must have, but it would be nice. The reason I want to see the 2nd line take more of an offensive shape is so that we can matchup better against the top teams in the central that have the firepower to outscore the Stars, specifically Avs and Hawks. The way our defense has looked and the way we can reasonably expect it to look going forward will mean we have to (continue to) outscore our opponent most nights. The best way to do this is to add to depth of our top end scoring and create a more consistent balanced scoring attack.

I feel you on this, but as I said before, we were top 10 in scoring. I don't think it is just goals we need, but power play goals specifically. We need a powerplay that can take over games and deliver when it is needed.
A dangerous 2nd power play.

After Toews, Chicago has Smith, Kruger, and Handzus, none of whom broke 30 pts this year.

But they have elite wing talent and defense and field two dangerous power play units. Hossa Seabrook and Leddy are on the second unit for Pete's sake. And that is what i am saying we need. The 2nd line center fixation is a mistake. We need another 1 or 2 (10) players with outstanding offensive talent. The position is almost irrelevant.

haf

Mar 3, 2008
He's probably a 60 point player on a team not named the Kings. His game really hasn't dropped off that much from when he scored 70+.

I tend to agree with you. Risky contract however. Wouldn't pull the trigger myself though tempting.
More hilarious though is Dustin Brown costing 6mil in cap for the next 8 years. :laugh: my god.

ItsTheCracken*

Might as well go after Crosby, too.

As ridiculous as this sounds, we wouldn't go over the cap, all the players are on the block or free agents.
Im not saying it's even possible to get all these guys to agree to come here, or trade for them, but theoretically it is possible.

Figured I would have fun with it.

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
As ridiculous as this sounds, we wouldn't go over the cap, all the players are on the block or free agents.
Im not saying it's even possible to get all these guys to agree to come here, or trade for them, but theoretically it is possible.

Figured I would have fun with it.

I really wish we had the assets to acquire those players, believe me. But somehow getting Myers, Byfuglien, and Eberle without giving up good assets? We can only dream, I guess.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth

I think we absolutely need a second line center, specifically a playmaking center. The GaRbagE line as a third line is awesome, as a second line its mediocre. Unless we have an internal option ready to step in next fall we need to go out and get one. I don't want the Stars to just win games, I want to see the Stars dominate teams consistently. I want them to make teams pay for focusing on the Top line too much.

Any two of Speedy, Playmaking, or size. Preference on Speed and Playmaking. Someone who can help or 15ish goal scorers up to at least 20ish, but hopefully 25ish.

I still want a RD too though.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
Daley doesn't have the offensive instincts to play forward. He'd be a third liner, likely with not much higher production then he has now.

I'm not expecting production, I'm wanting strong defensive play and speed on the wing, with occasional clutch offensive pop. I'm wanting to improve the size on D, but keep Daley, because during the playoffs he turned it up. If you have Goose, Dillion, Nemeth, and Benn back and Daley, that only leaves one spot. If we somehow get the RD of our dreams, where are Oleksiak and Klingberg going to fit into the lineup once they are Ready. I like Daley, I like his board work and speed, but he struggles with play in front of his own net, like everyone not named Nemeth or Dillion on our team. I think by the end of the AHL playoffs we should know if Oleksiak is ready for the jump to the NHL. If he is, what then, do we run with 6 left shot D again or do we try and move one of Daley Dillion or Benn. Plus we still have Connauton, another year on the bench most of the time won't do him any good. I expect at least a couple of trades this off season, one fairly major.

MetalGodAOD*

This thread was originally intended as an offseason thread during the playoffs. Gonna lock her up and move the discussion to the Offseason thread going forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad