Speculation: Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
I doubt it. Gonchar is pretty much useless on the ice. I'll pay for his ticket out of DFW if it comes down to it.

I'd chip in if it's somewhere close like Arizona or Florida, hell I might even have enough airmiles to cover it... but I'm out if he wants to go back to Chelyabinsk. It's a shame he used to be a fave of mine, but he doesn't look fit for pro hockey anymore. His body doesn't allow him to do what he used to and it seems he knows it too.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
I am not hugely in favor of dealing Dillon or anything just pointing out his status as an RFA and the value he has in a cap league. Teams with depth and young players to spare that we would want are more likely to be veteran teams near the cap. We have holes that need to be filled and we aren't going to get long term options without giving up value.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I hope Nill can do a Seguin-like trade on defense .... maybe Adam Larsson.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Dillon and Chiasson sound like a good starting price for Shattenkirk.

I wonder if Kari plus the 14th would get us NYI 5th? They need a goalie. Sign Hiller. Profit?

Gonchar and Cole must go. 2C is just as high a priority as a defender to me. More time in the offensive zone equals less time playing defense.

PezRadar

Peverley #1 Fan!
Jan 20, 2008
Dallas Texas
Jamie Benn + Tyler Seguin for $11M per year through 2016-17. Everyone's under $6 million.

Just saw that on Twitter. Made me feel good.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If Pevs is healthy, and you could pull off the trade with the division with Winnipeg ....

Been-Seguin-Ritchie
E. Kane-Stastny-Nichushkin
Roussel-Eakin-Garbutt
Peverley-Horcoff-Sceviour

That 2nd line could be a good compliment to one anther similar to Landeskog-Stastny-MacKinnon.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I know E. Kane has mad talent but all I remember is no want to in his game and poor puck support whenever we played them. If we're going to pay a premium for a winger he's not my 1st choice.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
I'd bet one or more of Nemeth, Oleksiak, Ritchie, Chiasson, Klingberg, Shore, Dickinson, Faksa get moved to bring in a piece.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I honestly can't believe the willingness to move Dillon after 2 games of him clearly being injured. Give him at least till next season before we start this mess

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I honestly can't believe the willingness to move Dillon after 2 games of him clearly being injured. Give him at least till next season before we start this mess

I'd say that's ever since Robidas went down Dillon had been... off I guess? I wasn't sure if it was him being sick with whatever Chiasson had or if losing Robidas was really hurting him.

I don't think I'd really truly move him, but guys are knocking on the door looking for roster spots.

I would honestly say, nothing will happen at the draft besides a minor move to clear roster spots. Chiasson and Dillon will be given the offseason, TC, and 20-25 games to get their collective buttcheeks in gear and we'll have a Neal+Niskanen move by December if they fail to progress.

Adam Larsson should be the #1 piece of unobtanium around here. Smart, young RHD. If and only if he could slide into that desirable top pair slot immediately and play a Lidstrom game. A cerebral two way game.

Gotta give to get, and someone has to get moved off the back end to make improvements.

Pohlow

Mar 26, 2012
Frisco, Tx
Why do you guys hold Larsson in such high regard? I never hear anything about him. If he has this in him, has he shown elongated flashes of it?

Tell me about him, cause I am intrigued.

TheGuyFromThere

Jun 13, 2009
Ottawa
Why do you guys hold Larsson in such high regard? I never hear anything about him. If he has this in him, has he shown elongated flashes of it?

That's the thing about defencemen who are smart and good in their own end: if you don't hear about them, they're probably just doing their job very well.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW

Everyone thought he was going to be the next Lidstrom. I'm not sure if it's just not the case, or if he's a basket case, or if New Jersey hasn't taught him the right way to function in the pros. His skillset is great, good skating, good passing, good shooting, not labeled as a PP QB.

He's been playing in Albany this year with some success.

If there's one person in this league outside of Detroit who can rebuild a Lidstrom clone, it's Jim Nill.

That's really it. He's an above average defenseman either not fitting in New Jersey or he's a bust.

That's the thing about defencemen who are smart and good in their own end: if you don't hear about them, they're probably just doing their job very well.

This too.

We only started hearing about Lidstrom when he was putting up Cups & 60 point seasons playing behind the high flying Wings of the 90s.

Devils? The Devils don't have that hype.

Frozen Failure

Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Stralman or Fayne are more realistic options for D. Doesn't mean I would throw out the idea of getting Larsson though.

Dallas can't keep adding adding adding, though. Shrewd trades are a mainstay these days.

Dallas only has so much money, so many contract spots, and so many roster spots. To add just one D man could be throwing a 60 inch chromed pipe wrench into the organizational gears.

SonicSpeedDash

All bets are off
Jun 22, 2010
Amarillo, TX
Dallas can't keep adding adding adding, though. Shrewd trades are a mainstay these days.

Dallas only has so much money, so many contract spots, and so many roster spots. To add just one D man could be throwing a 60 inch chromed pipe wrench into the organizational gears.

That's why I said I wouldn't throw out the idea trading for Larsson.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Stanley cup winning goalies and their top pairings... Just for reference

2013-Crawford-Keith/Seabrook
2012-Quick-Doughty/Voynov
2011-Timmy-Chara/Ference?
2010-Niemi-Keith/Seabrook

Aside from Quick, all these goalies are considered very good, not great. Defense is truly the carrying factor to championships these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad