Speculation: Future Roster Construction and Various Pipe Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brand New Stars

I enjoy the pipe dream part of the title considering that's what this will be filled with.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Seems like the best of all threads now for Undrafted FA talk.

Christian Folin likely will go pro.

Some of the top teams in the East want him so I'm not exactly confident that Dallas has a real chance, but he is a former teammate of John Klingberg's so there is that. I did see Klingberg talking about Frolin's shot that broke through the net on Twitter when it happened so it's probably wishful thinking, but maybe a friendship could help give Dallas a slight edge and hope.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Guess this is the thread for free agency ideas.

Frolik is an interesting player to watch. Good speed, cup experience, and some nice #fancystats, which are all up Nill's alley. Any thoughts on signing him for say 2 years 2 per? Could bridge well too Ritchie and would slot in as our 3rd line mainstay that's the first to switch up to 1 or 2 when needed.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I was wondering about Setoguchi for the same role, but I've always liked Frolik. I think he's a better 3rd line winger though.

Regardless ... Frolik is a RFA not an UFA. Setoguchi is an option though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
FWIW ... I think Dallas' Top 9 will eventually be fairly deep, but even with all that talent, Ritchie looks like he has the ability to be a consistent Top 4 winger.

I think Ritchie appears to be a guy that can be in the mix with Benn and Nichushkin as core wingers, and Brett looks like a guy that will be a scorer on a top line.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I was wondering about Setoguchi for the same role, but I've always liked Frolik. I think he's a better 3rd line winger though.

Regardless ... Frolik is a RFA not an UFA. Setoguchi is an option though.

That's disappointing. Never realized how young Frolik was though, seems like he's been around for quite awhile.

Gucci would be a fun add, would be interesting to see if he could rekindle whatever he was in San Jose. I'm gonna scour some Corsi sites and see who some of the best possession FAs are. Should be some surprises

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Seto is bad, most Jets fans hate him. No interest.

Never trust a Jets fan.

:sarcasm:

My thought process on this is he clicked with Joe Thornton so what might he look like next to Seguin and Benn? I also don't think anyone will commit long term to him this summer. I think he could get a contract similar Mason Raymond's from last season which would make him a rather cheap, speedy experiment.

Seems like a better gamble than the recent attempts at hoping 35+ and in some cases 40 year olds could be good options on 1 or 2 year deals.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I do have to admit though ... if Dallas does another short term veteran deal ... assuming he wins a Cup with Boston making the signing at least plausible ... I would not be sad to see a Benn-Seguin-Iginla line.

Benn-Seguin-Iginla
Cole-Stastny-Nichushkin
Roussel-Eakin-Chiasson
Garbutt-Horcoff-Sceviour

Heck of a way to fix the defense, huh?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Ritchie is hitting a new level right now in the A. It's very impressive to watch. Correct me if I'm wrong Blue, but I'd say between this year and last, he's even looked better over the past month or so than Reilly Smith who was great in the AHL?

It's impossible to not acknowledge that Detroit has been notoriously slow about promoting, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ritchie forced their hand next season. Luckily, unlike Detroit, Dallas isn't overrun with one-way contracts.

For next season, Dallas' forwards currently only have 7 one-way contracts, 2 two-way that will be in the NHL, and two RFAs that will certainly get contracts. One of those contracts in Peverley is very much an uncertainty, and Cole isn't exactly a lock for the roster next season. I like him and see him fitting, but they could also decide to cut out his salary and make a move.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
One thing about Setoguchi, if I recall correctly, is that he was always a Dallas killer when he played for the Sharks. Perhaps it's worth picking up a guy who has had some success in the AAC.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Agreed G. Ritchie surpasses Smith mostly because of his power. Smith was always a great finesse guy with good speed and a hell of a shot but had to find space to get his chances. Ritchie MAKES his space while having the same attributes as Smith. His use of body is great, especially along the boards in maintaining possession.

I may be wrong here but I want to say Smith didn't really work out in Dallas because in the Bottom 6 he didn't have anyone who could create chances for him. I think Ritchie can serve in the Bottom 6 because he can create those chances for himself.

I think with Whitney gone next season, if they don't pick up a couple of RWs that Ritchie's chances of being in Dallas goes up.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If we were to sign Stastny, we could push Eakin to the 3rd line and put Ritchie on his wing. That would be a big boost for depth scoring.

Assuming we sign Stastny (unlikely)

Benn-Seguin-Val
Cole-Stastny-Chiasson
Sceviour-Eakin-Ritchie
Roussel-Horcoff-Garbutt/Glennie/McKenzie

I could get behind that

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I may be wrong here but I want to say Smith didn't really work out in Dallas because in the Bottom 6 he didn't have anyone who could create chances for him. I think Ritchie can serve in the Bottom 6 because he can create those chances for himself.
I don't think this is an accurate characterization, R. Smith had a boatload of chances during his time here. Many of which he created for himself. He would've worked out wherever he was playing.

Anyway, I expect Ritchie to be on the opening night roster next season. Also agree that he could be an intriguing option to pair with Eakin.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
If Eakin is your checking center then Ritchie does not need to be anywhere near that line. He's come a long way defensively but he's not ready for that role. They'd be much better off seeing which of Sceviour, Chiasson or Ritchie can play on the left side for the 2nd line winger spot.

Benn-Seguin-Val
Chiasson-??-Ritchie
Roussel-Eakin-Sceviour
McKenzie-Horcoff-Garbutt

Assuming Ritchie is ready then I think they deal Cole then figure out between Mueller, Glennie, and McKenzie whichever one is ready to make the NHL jump for that final 4th line spot. They may in fact rotate them to give each a look and a carrot to fight for.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Dallas' 3rd line might not be a checking line next season. With the way Dallas rolls lines, Garbutt and Roussel could end up on the 4th line still playing 12 minutes a game in a checking role. Ultimately that's what I want to see from this team ... 3 potential scoring lines. IDK if they'll be ready next year.

That said, since when has Ritchie been poor defensively? He was excellent for Niagara in a checking role on their run to the OHL finals as a 19 year old. I'm just saying don't pigeon hole him as a depth scorer. He looks like he could be a very good scorer at the NHL level, but he's perfectly fine in his own zone. He had some adjustment time in the AHL, and he will in the NHL. That doesn't mean he's just average in that role.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That said if Sceviour and Ritchie both made the jump, Dallas is going to break up Roussel and Garbutt which isn't an awful thing to do. They'd go in no particular order Chiasson, Nichushkin, Ritchie, and Sceviour at RW. Benn, Garbutt, Roussel, and assuming he's still on the team Cole would be LW.

In a fantasy world they buyout Horcoff and replace him with Vitale.

L-R-L
L-L-R
L-L-R
L-R-R

Be the first time Dallas was ever that balanced up front. That seems to be a goal for the team though.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm going off reports on his time in the AHL, he was trying to cherry pick and quite frankly the jump from the A to the NHL is hard enough without asking for checking responsibilities against the West's best players.

Rumor has it Carolina would like to shed salary and that E. Staal and Skinner could be on the block. Eric only has 2 years left on his deal and he'd cost way too much to fit this core but Skinner is the right age, has a locked in contract and dynamic offensive talent. Anyone interested in bringing him in to shore up secondary scoring and the power play? What would you guys be willing to move for him? He won't be cheap but he also is a potentially outstanding long term solution either on Seguin's right or centering the 2nd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad