Salary Cap: Future Roster Building (2017-18 and beyond) Pt. 3 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Maybe get some toughness for the D instead of forwards? keep the forwards fast and skilled, but the D hard and brutal. Make it a 2-3 year plan on reworking the D. Start with Trouba in year 1, then get another the next year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I wonder if Sharp is healthy before camp, if he'd be worth a kick in the can, he can play C, would be a solid 3rd line C if his hip is fine and his father is ok with the Leukemia stuff so he's not playing worried. I mention Sharp because he'd be motivated to win another cup asap, he's going to be 36 this year, he's got a very very limited window.

Maybe get some toughness for the D instead of forwards? keep the forwards fast and skilled, but the D hard and brutal. Make it a 2-3 year plan on reworking the D. Start with Trouba in year 1, then get another the next year.

The cost for Trouba was high before he played last season, then he played incredibly well because he was back to RD full time

The time to acquire him was when he was holding out, at this point, the assets needed to land Trouba is not worth it from the Pens, it'd likely cost something like Dumoulin, Sprong, Jarry and maybe a 1st too.

For a guy that reportedly wants more than what Letang makes.

Let that sink in.

GenoMachino71

Jun 8, 2012

I'd go the complete opposite route and try to add better skaters and puck movers in the backend

Dumo, Cole, Hainsey, Maatta, etc are fine at what they do..... give me 3 starters like that for next year and I'm fine

I'd try hard to add another puck mover to go with Schultz and Letang.... with Letang's injury history, you better have some depth and insurance at that spot.... in fact, I'd be willing to trade a guy like Sheary in a deal to get one if thats the only way I could get one

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
getting kane would be pretty interesting. i'd trust the pens would do their due diligence on getting a player of his.....character

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I can't even imagine what it would take to get him or how the salary would even work but Perry really fits the mold that Rutherford is describing as well (aside from maybe speed...) But again I can't possibly imagine Anaheim dealing him after the run they just went on and I can't imagine what it would take to land him...
Guentzel Sid Perry would be pretty cool to see though

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I can't even imagine what it would take to get him or how the salary would even work but Perry really fits the mold that Rutherford is describing as well (aside from maybe speed...) But again I can't possibly imagine Anaheim dealing him after the run they just went on and I can't imagine what it would take to land him...
Guentzel Sid Perry would be pretty cool to see though

Nah, Perry isn't worth it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Bonino-Rust
Foligno-Rowney-Wilson

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Cole-Petrovic

That's the kind of toughness I want this team to add. Guys like Petrovic or Manson on defense and guys like Foligno or Watson at forward. Don't go out and splurge a ton of assets on a tough guy to play in the top-6, just bring in decent bottom-6 guys that wouldn't be downgrades on guys like Kuhnhackl or young defensemen with room to grow. On that same token, don't just go get bad players either like McLeod or Sestito. Get bottom-6 players who are both solid players and can be tough if you're going to insist on bringing in toughness.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I wonder if Sharp is healthy before camp, if he'd be worth a kick in the can, he can play C, would be a solid 3rd line C if his hip is fine and his father is ok with the Leukemia stuff so he's not playing worried. I mention Sharp because he'd be motivated to win another cup asap, he's going to be 36 this year, he's got a very very limited window.

The cost for Trouba was high before he played last season, then he played incredibly well because he was back to RD full time

The time to acquire him was when he was holding out, at this point, the assets needed to land Trouba is not worth it from the Pens, it'd likely cost something like Dumoulin, Sprong, Jarry and maybe a 1st too.

For a guy that reportedly wants more than what Letang makes.

Let that sink in.

I get that Trouba would be costly, but I wouldn't trade Sprong heads up him.

The Jets had Trouba, Buff and a cast of other solid D and they didn't make the playoffs and we are on the brink of winning it all without Letang.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
2 general questions:

- Is it any more likely that we trade with Buffalo (maybe to get Kane or as a landing place for Fleury) now that Botterill is GM there?

- Is Colorado really willing/looking to move Duchene or Landeskog or was that just a lot of smoke and Sakic won't pull the trigger?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Sheary-Bonino-Rust
Foligno-Rowney-Wilson

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Cole-Petrovic

That's the kind of toughness I want this team to add. Guys like Petrovic or Manson on defense and guys like Foligno or Watson at forward. Don't go out and splurge a ton of assets on a tough guy to play in the top-6, just bring in decent bottom-6 guys that wouldn't be downgrades on guys like Kuhnhackl or young defensemen with room to grow. On that same token, don't just go get bad players either like McLeod or Sestito. Get bottom-6 players who are both solid players and can be tough if you're going to insist on bringing in toughness.

I'm guessing that would be Marcus and not Nick right? What would you see Buffalo asking for?

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
TSN has Vegas picking up Zucker or Jenner in the expansion draft. Do you see Pitt possibly making a deal involving Fleury to possibly get one of those 2?

I would trade Fleury for Jenner easily if Vegas would do that... Steiggy would be so disappointed that we didn't have him sooner lol

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
2 general questions:

- Is it any more likely that we trade with Buffalo (maybe to get Kane or as a landing place for Fleury) now that Botterill is GM there?

- Is Colorado really willing/looking to move Duchene or Landeskog or was that just a lot of smoke and Sakic won't pull the trigger?

It is possible that Buffalo moves Kane. There are rumours that he isn't a great teamate. Would Botterill and JR deal with each other? I have to assume so, not sure who though. All the smoke is indicating MAF to LV.

Sakic is on record saying he is open to trading Landy and Duchy. Duchy is on record saying he would be open to a trade. Seems like he mailed it in after the deadline. Sakic's price was rumored to be stupid. I would be surprised if Duchy starts the season with the Avs.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

If the right D are available... sure. But there's so few D that can actually play the game of hockey and are not charmen soft. I mean when I look at the UFA D, there's only maybe 2/3 who I'd want who can play this style... and even then I'd want them in the lineup instead of Cole - not in the same lineup as Cole. And none of them skate as well as Cole does. And neither would they be as good or as cheap as Cole is. And this last one is key. The D who can play that style of game do not usually come cheap.

I mean hey if there's a realistic way to get Trouba, you do it and do not look back. But that just isn't going to happen - that's the reality of that situation. And almost any other D nearly as good as him who play that sort of style will be just as unavailable as he is.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If we could somehow pull both Landeskog and Duchene out of Colorado that would be pretty cool. I know that is pretty much impossible though considering the cost but our team would be stacked

Guentzel Sid Sprong
Landeskog Malkin Kessel
Sheary Duchene Rust
Wilson Rowney Kuhnhackl

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
2 general questions:

1) Who knows... but we apparently spent a ton of time scouting them before the deadline. Would be really interesting to know who we were looking at.

2) Word is they are - especially Duchene. Sakic is just scared ****less of ****ing up. He really should not be the GM there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wonder if the fact that we spent so much time scouting Buffalo, coupled with JR's comments about wanting to get more toughness in the lineup are any indication that we're interested in Kane.

I am still pretty against it, but if JR and Sully think they can fix the kid's off-ice problems, I'll defer to their judgment.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Maatta won't pull you off Landeskog and I probably wouldn't advocate trading any defensemen with the current state of the team. I'd honestly sooner add a rugged D before a rugged forward, because I think it's easier to find guys like Despres or Manson than it is to find guys like Kane or Landeskog.

Kane's a big no for me, too. Not because he's tough, but because he's a bad hockey player. He's a terribly flawed player, I'm not even going to address his off ice issues because I have no way of knowing. But he's an incredibly low hockey IQ player that doesn't play well with his linemates, he skates fast, hits people and has a nice shot. That's about it, he's a moderately better version of Yakupov that hits essentially.

He's not a bad player. He's moderately better than Yakupov? C'mon man, you can get your point across without exaggerating to this extent. You don't want him, that's fine, but he is significantly better than Yakupov. Kane is great on the forecheck and is a buzzsaw out there. What he may lack in hockey IQ (which I would say is average, not bad) he makes up for in effort. Truly the only negative thing about him as a player is his character off the ice. On the ice I don't understand why you wouldn't like him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
C'mon people. Ixnay on the ane-Kay.

You're better than that. The Pens are better than that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He's not a bad player. He's moderately better than Yakupov? C'mon man, you can get your point across without exaggerating to this extent. You don't want him, that's fine, but he is significantly better than Yakupov. Kane is great on the forecheck and is a buzzsaw out there. What he may lack in hockey IQ (which I would say is average, not bad) he makes up for in effort. Truly the only negative thing about him as a player is his character off the ice. On the ice I don't understand why you wouldn't like him.

He's the same kind of player. Guy who skates fast and has a nice shot, but he's has just an incredibly low hockey IQ. Now just add toughness and you basically have Kane.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike him on ice, and saying his only issue is his character is ignoring a lot. He's an often injured winger who makes a lot of money that doesn't help his teammates out, is a really poor playmaker and has a history of taking some really stupid penalties. He's fast, he hits, he's a good goal scorer and he can kill penalties. That's basically all of his positive attributes. He's a low hockey IQ player, he's a straight up bad playmaker, he's a bad defensive player (being good on the PK doesn't mean good defensively), he's constantly injured, he has a huge contract, he doesn't play well with his linemates and he constantly takes stupid penalties. He's an incredibly flawed player, I don't know how you can possibly argue otherwise.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
It is possible that Buffalo moves Kane. There are rumours that he isn't a great teamate. Would Botterill and JR deal with each other? I have to assume so, not sure who though. All the smoke is indicating MAF to LV.

Sakic is on record saying he is open to trading Landy and Duchy. Duchy is on record saying he would be open to a trade. Seems like he mailed it in after the deadline. Sakic's price was rumored to be stupid. I would be surprised if Duchy starts the season with the Avs.

Didn't Sakic want a good young player currently in the league, a 1st rd pick, and at least one good prospect?

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
1) Who knows... but we apparently spent a ton of time scouting them before the deadline. Would be really interesting to know who we were looking at.

2) Word is they are - especially Duchene. Sakic is just scared ****less of ****ing up. He really should not be the GM there.

1) Who else from Buffalo would make sense for us? I'm not necessarily against trading for Kane, as others have said Sullivan could be the guy to get him in line and I think he'd be killer in our system.

2) Haha well at this point if Duchene feels like he's on the outs and the team blows maybe he pushes a trade to be made. He isn't good friends with Sid or Letang or anyone by chance is he? Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad