Future Norris Winners - Who can win more than 1 in the next 10 years?

Which of these young defencemen is a good bet for at least 2 Norris' in the next decade?

• Total voters

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Dahlin and Jones are the only guys I see winning more than one on That list.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Dahlin, Heiskanen, Jones best chances. Only voted for Dahlin so many good dmen on the list that can win Norris.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I've got Jones and Chabot both winning two. They are the the guys that will have to step it up with the current teams that they have. I think they both will and are going to excel at it.

I think Heiskanen, Dahlin, and McAvoy are going to be on a lot of top 3/top 5 finishes.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My prediction: Dahlin and McAvoy both win at least two Norris each in the next 10 years—nobody else does it on the list.

I liked what I saw from McAvoy in the playoff run. He also benefit from Chara's presence in Boston. Plus, Boston always find a great #1D when the the last one is on his way out. My money is on the Boston kid (and Dahlin the prodigy).

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I think we will see a couple first ballot HOFers in the group listed, 1 being Dahlin if all goes well. Heisk, Chabot, Makar all show signs of being that kind of guy too - the guys who take over after the Doughty/Karlsson/Pie/Burns era closes.

Gio gets no love, ever. He should have two Norris trophy's, was robbed of one.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Dahlin was tagged as a generational D prospect and he literally was. First 18 year old in nearly 40 years to score 40+ points at 18 years of age and only the 3rd in league history to do it. The other 2 were Bobby Orr and Phil Housley, only the best dman ever to play (and a top 5 player of all time) and also one of the greatest offensive dmen in NHL history.

What Dahlin did is the definition of generational. Orr was the first to do it in 66-67. Housley did it in 82-83 (16 years later which is an entire hockey generation) and then it took 36 more seasons until another dman pulled it off which is actually 2 generations in hockey. 3 times in 52 years and the first time in nearly 4 decades.

Dahlin is clearly the most valuable dman in the league. He is absolutely on the McDavid/Crosby/Ovechkin level of players. Anyone saying otherwise is just hating. There have been a few 18 year old 1st year rookies to score ppg+. Crosby did it in 05, McDavid a decade later. Ovy and Malkin would also have done it but were unable to do to no fault of their own but the NHL lockout. As rookies Ovy also hit 100+ points and Malkin over a ppg+ with 85 in 78..Not D+1 rookies but their D+1s were locked out.

The fact Dahlin was 18 his entire rookie season and scored 44 points on a low scoring team is incredible. Before anyone mentions Ekblad and his 39 points he turned 19 during his rookie year and only scored 29 points by the time he turned 19. Guys like Chabot, Heiskanen, Seth Jones etc are all high end players and will be top 10 dmen but they are a small level below Dahlin.

This upcoming season is where Dahlin will show off his well deserved generational tag/Lidstrom level comparison. 60 points and 25 minutes a game is a likely benchmark he will be at for this season.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Voted Dahlin,as I believe he have the best chance, but I am not entirely convinced that he will 50/50 or so. If I had to bet on someone it would be Hedman.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I love Chabot but I think he’s being overrated. Not sure I’d bet on him ever winning a Norris although I think he will compete a lot.

I think the best chance for this is Dahlin and Jones.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Which of these young defencemen is a good bet for at least 2 Norris' in the next decade?
I know. That isn't saying that when you vote for 4 you think they'll win 8 norris. You just think the 4 are good bets to win 2.

It's your failure to word the OP correctly. But TBH, how it is is much better anyway so don't change it.

Really, though, a 10 year span is so long. I'm a little surprised by how few people are actually banking on some very young players to win some - let's remember how young Karlsson was when he won his first, for example. I'm just now sure if some of these guys can maintain their level for so long.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Dahlin, barring injuries, will get at least 2 in his career. Heiskanen should be good for one. Maybe more. Lots of good D here. Majority of them should get a nom at some point.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I know. That isn't saying that when you vote for 4 you think they'll win 8 norris. You just think the 4 are good bets to win 2.

It's your failure to word the OP correctly. But TBH, how it is is much better anyway so don't change it.

Really, though, a 10 year span is so long. I'm a little surprised by how few people are actually banking on some very young players to win some - let's remember how young Karlsson was when he won his first, for example. I'm just now sure if some of these guys can maintain their level for so long.

It's super simple. I am sorry it's been such a struggle for you. Feel free to not take part in my future failure polls, though. The last thing I need to do is read more whining on Tuesday morning at 6am.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Dahlin was tagged as a generational D prospect and he literally was. First 18 year old in nearly 40 years to score 40+ points at 18 years of age and only the 3rd in league history to do it. The other 2 were Bobby Orr and Phil Housley, only the best dman ever to play (and a top 5 player of all time) and also one of the greatest offensive dmen in NHL history.

What Dahlin did is the definition of generational. Orr was the first to do it in 66-67. Housley did it in 82-83 (16 years later which is an entire hockey generation) and then it took 36 more seasons until another dman pulled it off which is actually 2 generations in hockey. 3 times in 52 years and the first time in nearly 4 decades.

Dahlin is clearly the most valuable dman in the league. He is absolutely on the McDavid/Crosby/Ovechkin level of players. Anyone saying otherwise is just hating. There have been a few 18 year old 1st year rookies to score ppg+. Crosby did it in 05, McDavid a decade later. Ovy and Malkin would also have done it but were unable to do to no fault of their own but the NHL lockout. As rookies Ovy also hit 100+ points and Malkin over a ppg+ with 85 in 78..Not D+1 rookies but their D+1s were locked out.

The fact Dahlin was 18 his entire rookie season and scored 44 points on a low scoring team is incredible. Before anyone mentions Ekblad and his 39 points he turned 19 during his rookie year and only scored 29 points by the time he turned 19. Guys like Chabot, Heiskanen, Seth Jones etc are all high end players and will be top 10 dmen but they are a small level below Dahlin.

This upcoming season is where Dahlin will show off his well deserved generational tag/Lidstrom level comparison. 60 points and 25 minutes a game is a likely benchmark he will be at for this season.

I agree. Rasmus looks like a man amongst boys already, which is scary considering literally the opposite is true. His poise and decision making at full speed is impressive. Last year he reminded me of a young Lebron...a little overexcited at times, prone to the odd gaffe, the occasion panic....but when he was in the zone, you could just see what he was going to become.

Buffalo is very lucky! They missed on McDavid but got the defensive version of him.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
I agree. Rasmus looks like a man amongst boys already, which is scary considering literally the opposite is true. His poise and decision making at full speed is impressive. Last year he reminded me of a young Lebron...a little overexcited at times, prone to the odd gaffe, the occasion panic....but when he was in the zone, you could just see what he was going to become.

Buffalo is very lucky! They missed on McDavid but got the defensive version of him.

Had a nice goal game one, I legit can't wait until he enters his prime.

I'd be surprised if he didn't get more than one. Hype is real.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Dahlin, Heiskanen, Jones, Makar

I also have Quinn Hughes higher than many names of the available option. If it was just one Norris, he’d get a vote from me.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Chabot wont have a team around him for quite awhile.....Too bad because he is better than his numbers are going to look

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad