Future Norris Winners - Who can win more than 1 in the next 10 years?

Which of these young defencemen is a good bet for at least 2 Norris' in the next decade?

• Total voters

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Also I think people are overrating Dahlin a bit. He had a solid offensive season but he has A LONG way to go defensively to be a Norris winner- he looked really bad at times. (Not surprising for an 18 year old defenseman tho). Then again look at Ekblad’s rookie season.

But when you consider Burns won a Norris, I guess Dahlin doesn’t have to change much at this rate

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Also I think people are overrating Dahlin a bit. He had a solid offensive season but he has A LONG way to go defensively to be a Norris winner- he looked really bad at times. (Not surprising for an 18 year old defenseman tho). Then again look at Ekblad’s rookie season.

But when you consider Burns won a Norris, I guess Dahlin doesn’t have to change much at this rate

I give him until somewhere near the end of his ELC before he is in Norris contention.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Why is Chychrun on here? Or Dunn, for that matter? If the standards are that low, then why isn't Hronek on here? He's very good offensively at every level he's played at, and just put up 23 pts in 46 games as a 21 yo defenseman on an offensively challenged Detroit team, and will probably get at least 40 pts next season with the power play time provided to him with Kronwall gone (despite most of his points last season coming at 5v5).

But back to the main topic, I feel the only realistic answer in Dahlin. As previously stated, it's rare for players who aren't HOF contenders or borderline HOF's to win a prestigious award twice. I feel Dahlin's ceiling if he reaches it is at least a tier above the majority of the ceilings of the other reasonable answers (Heisk, Makar, Jones, Chabot etc.) and there's nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just Jones & Dahlin for me. I love Heiskanen, Makar, Hughes, McAvoy & Chabot; but it'll be hard for them to surpass Seth before Rasmus starts to monopolize the Norris.

Reactions: Mitts888

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You are confident that 4 players have a good shot at winning 8 of the next 10? Ballsy, I like it.
You asked to pick who people think can do it. I don't know if I would bet on any of them doing it but there are 4-5 guys I think certainly can. While we're nitpicking, your OP is an 11 year span, not 10.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What? That's not what your title says, nor what your poll says. In fact, that makes no sense.

I voted for Dahlin and "Other".

Which of these young defencemen is a good bet for at least 2 Norris' in the next decade?

From OP

Imagine you had to put money down on them winning more than one, and select based off that. Only choose guys you are confident can do it. You can choose up to 5, but the odds of that are astronomically low.

You asked to pick who people think can do it. I don't know if I would bet on any of them doing it but there are 4-5 guys I think certainly can. While we're nitpicking, your OP is an 11 year span, not 10.

I asked which plays you would bet on doing it, not who could possibly do it. I'm not interested in a list of who could win 2, but who we think will.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I started to check names and realized I was running out of years. So many good young D with the potential to be in the Norris race in any given year.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I might suggest we pump the brakes just a tad on Makar. He's a tremendous young player, who looked really good in a small sample this past spring, but the kid hasn't even play a single regular season game yet.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Jones for me. He’ll be in his prime when there are few competitors.
There are the guys who are 27+ currently and are declining or will soon be.
There’s the young guys like Dahlin, Heiskanen, Makar, McAvoy, Werenski, and Chabot who have serious potential but aren’t well rounded enough to win for a couple years.

In the next 3/4 year window I think Jones has some serious potential to be the best dman in the league in consecutive years.
Keep in mind Dahlin did what he did playing for (literally) a mediocre high school coach.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just Dahlin.

The next 5-7 years imo will still be the old guard winning Norrises. So Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, etc. Maybe 1-2 Norris goes to young guys, but not more.

I think Dahlin will be the best of the bunch, and 2+ in 10 years seems reasonable for him. Some of these players may end up winning 1, but i doubt any win 2.

I don't think it's THAT crazy. Keith/Karlsson/Doughty have 5 in 10 (and now you can throw Hedman in there as predicted around the time he was drafted) and they're always talked of as cannibalizing one another--we may not have seen true separation from the young guys yet, but odds are a group of 4-5 at least pulls ahead like those 3 previously did.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't think it's THAT crazy. Keith/Karlsson/Doughty have 5 in 10 (and now you can throw Hedman in there as predicted around the time he was drafted) and they're always talked of as cannibalizing one another--we may not have seen true separation from the young guys yet, but odds are a group of 4-5 at least pulls ahead like those 3 previously did.

Keith/Karlsson/Doughty trio had 2 things going for them that this crop maybe doesn't:

1. They're really good. All-time really good - all 3 top 100 players all time probably. I'm not saying this was obvious for them 10 years ago - i'm just saying we know that's how good they turned out, we don't know yet that some of these young guys will turn out as good, most probably they won't.

2. They're really good. As in - still today. So for the young guys to win Norris's, they still have to contend with the old guard (maybe a bit less Keith these days, but Karlsson/Doughty, along with Hedman and others). In comparison, I think there weren't as many top end older defenders 7-10 years ago to compete against for top defenseman in a year as there are today. Lidstrom won a ton of Norris's in the 2000s, but he did so in a rather weak era for defenders, that carried a bit over in the early 2010s. It's tougher now.

My prediction is Dahlin wins 2. Others on this list may win 1, but not 2, not in the next 10 years. Maybe after that, in their 30s, one adds a second or so

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad