Future Norris Winners - Who can win more than 1 in the next 10 years?

Which of these young defencemen is a good bet for at least 2 Norris' in the next decade?

• Total voters

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
It's quite rare to see a player win more than 1 Norris trophy in a decade. In the last decade, we only have 2 players win multiple times in that time span (Keith and Karlsson). Lidstrom also won 1, the rest of his came in the decade proceeding it.

In this coming decade, from 2019-2020 to 2029-2030, do you see any current young and emerging defencemen winning 2 in that timespan? If so, who?

I only included younger guys on purpose.

Imagine you had to put money down on them winning more than one, and select based off that. Only choose guys you are confident can do it. You can choose up to 5, but the odds of that are astronomically low.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
If I have to pick, it’d be:
1. Chabot
2. Dahlin
3. Heiskanen

I like Provorov and Jones but doubt they’ll ever score enough to win.

A few guys on the list I haven’t seen enough of and might be overlooking.

Reactions: Dominance

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Only player I voted for was Dahlin. It the only player I'm confident in saying will win 2 Norris trophys.

Not saying I would have voted for him because I wouldn't have... but you should have at least added Quinn Hughes as an option.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
1. Chabot
2. Dahlin
3. Heiskanen

I like Provorov and Jones but doubt they’ll ever score enough to win.

A few guys on the list I haven’t seen enough of and might be overlooking.

I did Chabot and Dahlin.

I almost did Heiskanen as well but there are so many good D right now that I am not confident he can win 2 in that timespan.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Only player I voted for was Dahlin. It the only player I'm confident in saying will win 2 Norris trophys.

Not saying I would have voted for him because I wouldn't have... but you should have at least added Quinn Hughes as an option.

I had him in there and actually overwrote his name with the dummy option lol

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You are confident that 4 players have a good shot at winning 8 of the next 10? Ballsy, I like it.

Only Dahlin is a "good bet" as per the OP but I wouldn't be surprised if one of 4 or 5 guys could win it twice given the right turn of events.

I think the biggest factor is the salary cap and the probability that every team will have a down year or 2 in a 32 team league.

Doughty was a prime example last year as he is still a Norris caliber Dman but his team situation makes it impossible for him to even be in the discussion last year.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I did Chabot and Dahlin.

I almost did Heiskanen as well but there are so many good D right now that I am not confident he can win 2 in that timespan.
Yeah, he definitely has ground to make up but he’s just so smart that he might actually be able to do it.

I think he’d get more love if he played on a team with more eyes on it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Just Dahlin.

The next 5-7 years imo will still be the old guard winning Norrises. So Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, etc. Maybe 1-2 Norris goes to young guys, but not more.

I think Dahlin will be the best of the bunch, and 2+ in 10 years seems reasonable for him. Some of these players may end up winning 1, but i doubt any win 2.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Just Dahlin.

The next 5-7 years imo will still be the old guard winning Norrises. So Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, etc. Maybe 1-2 Norris goes to young guys, but not more.

I think Dahlin will be the best of the bunch, and 2+ in 10 years seems reasonable for him. Some of these players may end up winning 1, but i doubt any win 2.

Agreed, but I think Chabot can win 2 as well. At the very least, I think he wins one in a few years when the baby Sens all grow up. He will win it on points, but I personally don't have an issue with that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here are the guys with multiple Norris Trophies:

Orr
Harvey
Lidstrom
Bourque
Chelios
Pilote
Potvin
Karlsson
Keith
Langway
Leetch
Robinson

You pretty much have to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Like, maybe, maybe Dahlin, but those are lofty expectations even for him.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
When you account for 90% of winning a Norris is points, you have to go with guys with lots of offensive upside in a good situation. I would go Makar, Dahlin, Heiskanen. Add Jones because his D would make up for a potential point short coming.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Dahlin. I'd like to say Jones but he might have trouble gaining enough attention on CBJ.

Heiskanen's a good choice too.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Only Dahlin. Half of those guys will barely get a Norris nomination in their career. It's an incredibly difficult thing to win.

Reactions: DaveG

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Here are the guys with multiple Norris Trophies:

Orr
Harvey
Lidstrom
Bourque
Chelios
Pilote
Potvin
Karlsson
Keith
Langway
Leetch
Robinson

You pretty much have to be a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Like, maybe, maybe Dahlin, but those are lofty expectations even for him.

I think we will see a couple first ballot HOFers in the group listed, 1 being Dahlin if all goes well. Heisk, Chabot, Makar all show signs of being that kind of guy too - the guys who take over after the Doughty/Karlsson/Pie/Burns era closes.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Jones for me. He’ll be in his prime when there are few competitors.
There are the guys who are 27+ currently and are declining or will soon be.
There’s the young guys like Dahlin, Heiskanen, Makar, McAvoy, Werenski, and Chabot who have serious potential but aren’t well rounded enough to win for a couple years.

In the next 3/4 year window I think Jones has some serious potential to be the best dman in the league in consecutive years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad