Speculation: Future Coach of the Sens | Part IV - Looking for a SaveYeor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
But Babcock went to the team with the lesser offer, Boudreau didn't. There is good reason to believe that Boudreau came to Ottawa with the Sens being his preferred choice, but we ****ed it up.

If we countered Minnesota's offer but he chose to go to Minnesota for other reasons, I don't think the fan outrage would be the same.

Doesn't matter if you get less then the other offer, all that matters is you have leverage and you use it to get the best deal you can.

Who cares if Ottawa offers Stamkos more money then Toronto, if Stamkos uses Ottawa to get a better deal out of Toronto then he's using us as leverage, exactly what Boudreau did.

Rookie mistake by Dorion to have him do the media interview - he should of had a no press policy in his interviews, he's the one that loses most from this, we already all hate Melnyck

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
But basically Babcock did what Boudreau did, he let another team believe they were the front runner and used them as leverage

Boudreau got way less money then Babcock, but he did the exact same thing. Not only did Babcock increase the $$$$ factor, he introduced using a team as leverage, the idea of a free agent coach, end seen that before in the NHL

I thought the issue with buffalo and babcock was that it was understood they had a deal agreed on by both sides and then babcock sort of changed his mind.
Here, boudreau just met with the organization for an interview and listened to offers.

My understanding iirc is that the situations were different.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kind of stunned that we got BB. Wild fans thought we had no chance when we heard that his daughter and little grandchild lived in OTT...I mean, how do you compete with that?

He got a decent term and amount, but nothing groundbreaking. OTT and the Wild seem to be in similar places as teams...MAYBE BB thinks the Wild are in a better place, but probably that wasn't the issue.

Yeo is a decent coach. I wonder, though, if OTT wasn't prepared to pay BB a decent amount, are they expecting to pay Yeo relative peanuts? Because i don't know if he is going to go for that. He is not a rookie coach, and he has been successful in the league. I don't see him settling for a sub par contract.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I dunno, he's won at every level he's been at. I remember very well those Colorado teams, defense was fine.

Those Colorado teams with multiple Hockey Hall Of Fame players, with multiple All Stars at every position?

Damn, such a hard job to coach that team... :laugh:

Hartley is bad. His systems suck. He grinds his players up like raw ground beef and spits them out within 3 years. Everyone in Colorado hated him, amd Sakic led the charge to get him fired.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yeo is a decent coach. I wonder, though, if OTT wasn't prepared to pay BB a decent amount, are they expecting to pay Yeo relative peanuts? Because i don't know if he is going to go for that. He is not a rookie coach, and he has been successful in the league. I don't see him settling for a sub par contract.

Well there are only three vacancies right now and we don't know if the other two are even interested in Yeo. Not sure he has much leverage here.

If there's a bidding war for him as well, then here we go again.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Sens fans who are disappointed with the organizations Bruce Boudreau fumble: If your JR or one of the other TGOR guys conducting the interview with PD tomorrow morning on TSN 1200, What Questions would you want answers to & ask/direct Pierre Dorion's way?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sens fans who are disappointed with the organizations Bruce Boudreau fumble: If your JR or one of the other TGOR guys conducting the interview with PD tomorrow morning on TSN 1200, What Questions would you want answers to & ask/direct Pierre Dorion's way?

Why does Euegene Melnyck suck at his job?

Othello*

Why didn't we have the resources available to hire the best coach on the market.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

"What happened?"

Asking leading questions does nothing.

ChelFan31

Mar 22, 2016
Why didn't we have the resources available to hire the best coach on the market.

Would you want them to use Pierre Dorions original presser quote "I have been assured by EM that we have all the resources available".....then to follow that up with a Melnyk interview clip [TSN 690 style] when he said " for a $4.5M coach we would need to trade out $5M player" and then ask Dorion which one is it? because it can't be both ways...? whos lying here?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Why would he choose minny, even with that extra year. Old, boring team Vs hometown team that's starting to show some nice potential. So strange. ...the extra year is big, but I'm surprised it was the deal breaker from BB's pov. If he had done well on Ottawa, he could have gotten another raise in year 4.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Why would he choose minny, even with that extra year. Old, boring team Vs hometown team that's starting to show some nice potential. So strange. ...the extra year is big, but I'm surprised it was the deal breaker from BB's pov. If he had done well on Ottawa, he could have gotten another raise in year 4.

People like money and job security.

Also, not wanting to commit more than three years to a top coach shows a lot about where we stand as an organization. Dorion and Melnyk talked about wanting to get it right this time, but don't want to pay him for more than three years? Maclean lasted more than that. In four years, I can't imagine the average salary being much lower than 3 million for a coach anyways.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

An extra year guaranteed is pretty big.

He's 61. 4 years takes him to 65. It's an extra guaranteed ~3 million.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Hypothetical reason: he's turnig 62 this coming season, maybe he's looking at retiring soon, and thinks Minnesota has a better chance at a cup over the next 4 years than Ottawa does.

Not saying that's the reason, but if we're just throwing ideas at the wall, that a least makes sense.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am hesitant we hire Yeo now if the Sens have a problem with giving term on a contract.

He is also probably going to want 4 years.

I am starting to have a bad feeling that i am not going to like the coach that we hire.

Should have kept Cameron if we are just going to hire washed up coaches like Carlyle, Crawford or Boucher.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Mickey Mouse club that's indecisive on what direction they want to take, and its run by an inconsistent and erratic owner.

Versus

Small market team with money and a crystal clear vision of where they want to go, and who they want to lead them there.

:laugh: is it really that suprising?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Kind of stunned that we got BB. Wild fans thought we had no chance when we heard that his daughter and little grandchild lived in OTT...I mean, how do you compete with that?

He got a decent term and amount, but nothing groundbreaking. OTT and the Wild seem to be in similar places as teams...MAYBE BB thinks the Wild are in a better place, but probably that wasn't the issue.

Hate to say it, but its a bad fit.
BB in Ottawa, at least for a season buoyed the Sens fan base.
They could win the ATL, and that's more than they could hope for with someone else.

What is BB going to do for the Wild? Give them one more game?
Battle the Hawks and Blues for the division lead.

The Sens should actually be happy they didn't get him. The goal is the Cup, not the division title-and that's all he's done.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Mickey Mouse club that's indecisive on what direction they want to take, and its run by an inconsistent and erratic owner.

Versus

Small market team with money and a crystal clear vision of where they want to go, and who they want to lead them there.

Wild prospects aren't high end, nor plentiful.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Versus

Wouldn't say minny and fletcher really has a clear vision on where they're going, other than the old folks home soon.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Wild prospects aren't high end, nor plentiful.

Poorly run organizations, like ones who would let the best coach available walk over 1 extra year of term, don't usually find success, regardless of how good their prospects are. Some things are broken so badly that they can't be fixed.

And let's lot pretend like this is Edmonton or Winnipeg here, we've got Chabot and White, and then it gets really muddy after that.

I'm sure Bruce paid close attention to how they two teams conducted themselves, and by the end of it, prospects were likely the last thing that he was thinking about.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild have Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin, Reilly, Dumba, Nino, Coyle, Granlund, Haula as young players, and a true #1 D in Suter, and true first liner in Parise. Throw in a Koivu, and some decent prospects like EK, Kaprizov and Tuch.

Of course, how can they compete with the Leafs talent pool.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Wouldn't say minny and fletcher really has a clear vision on where they're going, other than the old folks home soon.

They wanted Bruce Boudreau as their coach, and made sure that Bruce knew from day one that they were going to do everything in their power to get him.

Maybe Fletcher is senile, but he still knows more than Melnyk and company combined about running a successful NHL team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad